GREEN MOULD/ALGAE AROUND THE EDGES OF THE CLEAR TAIL LIGHT L

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes mine also, and the high level brake light, looks bad. I dismantled one rear light, and cleaned with a tooth brush, but not very satisfactory, maybe I will have a go at the dealers.

March 2015 here...

Car needs a wash, but it's too darn cold out there for that!
The ridges in the plastic make it even easier for the algae to persist.

Yup, design fault I'd say.

lightgrime.jpg

Mine has the algae around the upper brake light - as it had when I bought it last summer. Most of the other 'clear-lens' PHEV's on sale at the main Mitsubishi dealership I bought it from had the same problem, around the upper brake light and some around the rear light lenses too. Unquestionably, catagorically, indubitabley, undoubtedly, beyond question, beyond doubt, indisputablely, undeniabley, irrefutabley, incontestabley, incontrovertibley, unimpeachabley, unambiguously, unequivocaly, unassailabley and quite obviously a design fault.

I have - for longer than I care to remember - been a user of plastic light lenses fitted to various vehicles - some built as far back as the 1960s - and none of them have ever had this problem. I too have seen a similar effect on cars left for some time in scrap yards, or around the windows and the 'Land Rover' lettering on the bonnet of my sister in laws Freelander, which hasn't been cleaned for around 10 years*, but not on a two year old car before. I clean my always garaged PHEV (6000 miles on it) a lot, and I think the silicony-type chemicals in the car shampoo probably deter the algae from growing around my main rear light lenses. The upper brake light lens usually has condensation around its edge too, which is probably helping the algae to prosper. I took the upper lens off to clean it but due to its curious design it can't be cleaned properly.

* In fact, I was studying the extraordinary condition of this 10 year old Freelander today - it actually has lichen growing on the 'Land Rover' lettering fixed to the bonnet. It also has the same type of 'ridged' front light surround design to the PHEV's rear light (shown in the photo above). No algae in evidence on the 'ridged' light surround of the utterly neglected Freelander though.

Hi all, I keep my car looking pretty good, even put a few pics on here to show it off which is a first. I'm not liking the algae build up which has been going on since day one. Just had my final 3 year service under warranty so mentioned it again, this time I was told that I am one of many who have brought this up. They suggested contacting Mitsubishi direct as they have had no luck reporting it for other customers.

As expected, Mitsubishi have said this is not covered for all the normal reasons. However, they have suggested buying some anti algae solution and sort it out myself for the rest of the cars life. Should say that the person I spoke to also said this has come up before from other customers.

Anyway, I have asked If I can annoy a manager for a while which is now pending :geek:

My 2015 has it in the rear lights and the high level brake light. I cleaned it out last year, but its back now and I cant be bothered to do it again. I do live in West Devon though, where the winters are mild and very wet. Everthing ouside goes green, but the design of these lights is terrible. Any recommendations for something to clean it with?

jaapv said:
Household bleach?

Thinking bleach would strip off the clear coat or effect the paint pigment. Maybe a very weak mixture but I don't even use washing up liquid on the car so don't think I'll try it.

I've now had a callback from a Mitsubishi manager about this, they have offered to pay half to have the lights replaced. This seems generous as my complaint should really be with the dealership where my original contract sits. However, I am not prepared to spend all the time chasing this for the full cost and most likely getting the motor ombudsman involved as I'm sure I would have to at some point.

So it's off to look for some kind Algae solution. May look into "Patio Magic", sounds possible. They are saying "Concentrated, long lasting, anti-bacterial disinfectant for the easy treatment, removal and prevention of green mould and algae on hard surfaces". But just need to check it's safe for the car.

Now just need to rinse off Ophelia's Saharan dust that's covered the car :roll:

My 14 plate, with clear rear light lenses has had the green mould / algae for years and I also have no doubt that poor design is the cause. It is unsightly and resistant to regular car washing. Has anyone found a way to clean it, with a product that doesn't risk damage to lens or paintwork & doesn't require removal of the lenses? If not, I'll just have to put up with it. Hopefully Mitsu have rectified it on later models.

My clear rear lights have lots of algae around the edges too.
I thought about squirting Milton sterilizing fluid around the edges & letting it soak for a while.
Anyone else tried this?

I lived in Bedford for 4 years and Germany for 3. I had algae on parts of my Austins and VWs. Algae are a normal part of life on this watery rock. Put a bit of bleach in a spray bottle and give them a spritz every month or so. Problem solved.

Paddlepower said:
jaapv said:
Household bleach?

Thinking bleach would strip off the clear coat or effect the paint pigment. Maybe a very weak mixture but I don't even use washing up liquid on the car so don't think I'll try it.

I've now had a callback from a Mitsubishi manager about this, they have offered to pay half to have the lights replaced. This seems generous as my complaint should really be with the dealership where my original contract sits. However, I am not prepared to spend all the time chasing this for the full cost and most likely getting the motor ombudsman involved as I'm sure I would have to at some point.

So it's off to look for some kind Algae solution. May look into "Patio Magic", sounds possible. They are saying "Concentrated, long lasting, anti-bacterial disinfectant for the easy treatment, removal and prevention of green mould and algae on hard surfaces". But just need to check it's safe for the car.

Now just need to rinse off Ophelia's Saharan dust that's covered the car :roll:
No, it won't damage paint.
Algea solutions are just household bleach with a fancy name - check the ingredients on the label: Sodium Hypochlorate in concentrations between 3% and 5% and some additives that do rather nothing.

Back