New 2018 MY arrived!!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orkneydave

Collected my 2018MY in Aberdeen yesterday and then had a 220 mile dash to catch the ferry from Scrabster.

First thoughts are great!

It had been driven up to Aberdeen from Scarborough by the supplying garage so had no charge left in the drive battery. Was still very quiet on petrol and my average mpg (combined with the drive from Scarborough) was 35.5 which I thought was pretty good (I wasn't driving very economically and had the heater on as it was baltic!). I also drove on charge for the last bit of the journey as I wanted to arrive home with battery so that I could show it off to my wife when I got home last night.

Regen on the flappy paddles worked well and I foung it very intuitive to change through the B levels depending on the conditions. I was also surprised how well the car coasetd in B0 so sat in this quite a bit, using regen to slow down before junctions and in traffic etc. I found that B5 does put the brake lights on initially, I guess depending on actual braking force applied, but the lights do go out again when the rate of decelleration decreases whilst still in B5.

Heated windscreen works well.

4H has footwell lights on the 2018 MY, not sure if it did before. Smartphone Link Display works really well and Android Auto also worked well. I used Google maps and was able to update destination on the fly using voice control. I was also able to reply to a facebook message (that the SLD read out to me) just by dictation without taking my eyes off the road. Sound quality seemed good and interface seemed was pretty easy to navigate. Vehicle settings and PHEV info all accessable.

Not had much chance to play with anything else yet really but will get a better look today.

nice one. Interesting to hear about the new features of the multimedia stuff particularly android auto and google maps. So... google maps was on the display? does that mean it is always up to date with internet access?

tweedie said:
nice one. Interesting to hear about the new features of the multimedia stuff particularly android auto and google maps. So... google maps was on the display? does that mean it is always up to date with internet access?

Yes, Google Maps was on the display. It comes from the phone (has to be pligged into the USB in the arm rest cubby to work) so as long as your phone is up to day then the maps are too. You may have to watch as there will be data usage, although I think with Google you can download a route and then use offline (you just wouldnt get any traffic info).

Gave it a hot hose down with TFR at work today to remove the 650 miles of salt and road grime that built up yesterday! Will give it a proper wash and wax at the weekend.
27254329239_8759b541ee_c.jpg

I would suggest to get a ODB2 adapter that works with PHEVwatchDog apps .. this app will give you more view of your new PHEV

Another tip is to be careful with B5 ... I'm now mainly using B1 when I need to brake .. B5 on the old PHEV (possibly on the new one too) , did cause to send a burst of over 35kw power to recharge the battery ... and the battery is not really happy to be charged fast : ChadeMo is stated by Mitusbishi that it can cause problem with battery faster ageing

Pleasing to hear you find the mirror link system working well.

As a supplier I have come across so many potential customers saying they have to have a built in navigation, albeit asking praising the system from my own use after 12 months in a Juro. I have yet to find fault and find it works so much better and of course no issues with updates etc.

orkneydave said:
tweedie said:

Yes, Google Maps was on the display. It comes from the phone (has to be pligged into the USB in the arm rest cubby to work) so as long as your phone is up to day then the maps are too. You may have to watch as there will be data usage, although I think with Google you can download a route and then use offline (you just wouldnt get any traffic info).

Gave it a hot hose down with TFR at work today to remove the 650 miles of salt and road grime that built up yesterday! Will give it a proper wash and wax at the weekend.
27254329239_8759b541ee_c.jpg

Nice looking PHEV. What is the colour of the interior.

I Picked up my 2018 PHEV GT Quartz Brown Exterior Jan 19, 2018 but was very disappointed that the Brown Interior with red stitching was not available in Canada. I ended up with a Black Interior. Not my 1st choice but getting used to it.

I picked up a US 2018 GT last week. For a while I was convinced they had given me a grey one, not the quartz brown, but looking at your picture PHEV07 - it looks like mine so I guess it's right. The online pictures of that color are much less gray.

I have been waiting to buy this for many years. Finally! I absolutely must have 4WD just to get out of my driveway up in the mountains of Western Maryland, so other PHEV's were either too pricey or not 4WD. I hope to test it in the snow this weekend. No center lock on either differential, but with independently driven axles it is like full time center lock.

My commute is 120 miles on Monday and Friday - 10 miles round trip weekdays - so during the week I don't need any gas. Seems to take about half the charge for my commute, but it's kinda hilly and even using B4 and light braking I am sure that costs mileage.

I kind of hated that I had to use the cable to get carplay to talk to my iPhone for GPS nav, but my solution was to use an old cracked iPhone5 plugged into the car and taking data from my main iPhone hotspot. I just leave that old phone in the center console.

On winding roads I tend to "straighten" the curves so the lane departure warning goes off a lot, but I don't want to disable that. And one spot during my commute the road makes an odd jog, and I end up aiming right at parked cars for a few seconds - causing the "BRAKE" warning to blast on the dash, but so far it has not actually applied the brakes which is good since I'm often being tailgated on that road.

Like others I found that using a 120v charger and pre-heating the car in the morning - I am a few miles short of a full charge. I may have to use the 12A option more often and start the heat a little sooner - and am looking at a type-2 charger.

So far there don't seem to be many US owners on this forum - but I think that will change soon.

Just a note the brakes regen also (actually substantially more than b5).

I find b4-5 ok for one pedal city driving but you dont need it , for longer cruises b0 and brakes..

Phevy said:
robdickinson said:
Just a note the brakes regen also (actually substantially more than b5).
I'm glad to hear that, but where do you get that knowledge from?
Never read that before anywhere.

:cool:
For sure, the brakes do not regen at all. I think he means that 'pushing the brakepedal causes an increase of regenerative braking by the E-motors, before the brake pads are applied." ;-). This is the case in all B settings. Keep in mind: for example B2 + brake pedal results in less regenerative power than B5 + brake pedal. Consequently, you will be applying the friction brakes sooner / more often in a lower B setting.

So, if you want to optimise regen / minimise brake pad wear, it is best to use higher B settings. On the other hand, some have suggested that running around i B5 all the time, may have negative impact on battery health. O wait, that was me.

.... or they must have completely revised the brake / regen strategy of the car, sine 2013.

If you watch the dashboard "Energy Monitor" display you see that B5 can push up to 30kw into the battery. But hitting the brakes can push more - I've seen about 38kw. Might go over 50kw when braking based on some screen shots I've seen online. PHEVWatchdog will give stats for peak charge into the battery during a trip and that also shows around 38kw most trips. So depending on how heavy you use the brake - it might actually be easier on the battery to use B4 or B5.

Pushing that much energy into the battery for just seconds - or maybe a minute on a long steep downhill grade - won't hurt batteries. You have to figure the Mitsubishi engineers knew what they were doing. What can reduce life is charging at these high rates for long periods - like CHAdeMO.

N6IO said:
If you watch the dashboard "Energy Monitor" display you see that B5 can push up to 30kw into the battery. But hitting the brakes can push more.

Not a good idea to be watching the dashboard when braking very heavily :lol:

Interesting. While going into B5 would maximize regen, using the brakes and monitoring the PHEV info page on the display would also give insights into how much power is being regained via regen. I find with a light foot & pre-emptive driving style, you can pretty much regen all the way from any speed back to a stop via brake pedal alone without resorting to B5.

However if you like playing with the paddles, to each their own.

Back