Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 PHEV Handbrake & Motor Lock Failure
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:42 am 

Location: Inverness, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear light lenses.
Seems unlikely it would have 'slid' down the driveway then. The conditions that would allow that to happen would be evident if you tried to walk on the surface - ie. you'd fall over fairly quickly. The iced surface conditions under which I witnessed the sliding Skoda were almost impossible to walk on.

Quote:
When I got in to the car to reverse it back up off the wall I noticed the handbrake did not seem to hold anymore either.

I appreciate it probaby wouldn't have been the first thing you'd have thought of in the circumstances but did you happen to notice the status of the 'R,D,N,P' indicator when you got back into the car. Presumably as the car would have been switched off it must have been in 'P'. In which case was there any indication that it was 'locked' in P whilst parked in the wall? Again, I appreciate it may well have been rather hard to determine this at the time.

The 'P' lock does seem to be quite a substantial thing - noticable if you select 'D' or 'R' if you're on a hill without pressing the brake pedal hard enough. ie. as previously mentioned by jaapv there's quite a 'clunk'. Although I for one would never rely on just the 'P' lock whilst on a hill, always use the handbrake too. So if the handbrake has failed then that could well be a contributory factor, but still doesn't entirely explain the total failure of the 'P' lock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:07 am 

Hi NightPHEVer

Am afraid I never noticed if the 'P' was illuminated at the switch on the center console, or on the dashboard. Wish I had.

As the car was turned off and actually charging I would have naturally assumed it was in Park mode.

I need to get the car dropped off to the dealer this week, so will see what they have to say for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:02 pm 

How awful! What year is the car. Sounds like a failed calliper to me which means they should pay for all of it given there’s supposed to be a recall. No idea why the p didn’t work but its rather worrying. Presume they will foot the bill for a new chargepoint too. My 2014 handbrake has gone slack for the 2nd time... will be booking it in soon!
H

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 am 

Hypermiler wrote:
How awful! What year is the car. Sounds like a failed calliper to me which means they should pay for all of it given there’s supposed to be a recall. No idea why the p didn’t work but its rather worrying. Presume they will foot the bill for a new chargepoint too. My 2014 handbrake has gone slack for the 2nd time... will be booking it in soon!
H

Hi Hypermiler,
It's a 15 plate with 28500 miles on the clock. Serviced by main dealer as required.

Am struggling to get it to them as they don't have a courtesy car available for me. As a father of 3 it's not ideal.

But it needs to get in to them this week by hook or by crook.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 am 

Well after all this time I finally managed to get the car delivered in to my Local Mitsubishi Dealer / Workshop last week.

So They have confirmed that the handbrake had failed and that both rear calipers require to be replaced (no idea when as they are on back order)

So they had their warranty guy call me to get the full story.

You can guess the response from them:
"The handbrake failure could not have caused this damage as the front motor locks are still operational"
"There is no way that Mitsubishi Aberdeen would be able to accept any liability for the consequential damage"

Even after I explained that the front wheels were on light snow and the handbrake failing caused the front wheels to be pushed to sliding point and taking the car down the driveway.

So over to Mitsubishi UK customer services to see what they are going to do about it.

Will be looking at getting some legal advice in the meantime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 am 

Good luck! I'm sure they'll fight, but it sounds as though you have a case...

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 am 

Isn't this a case that your insurance company should fight?

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 am 

jaapv wrote:

I would have thought that should be the case. But as Admiral are a shower of buggers they just said it would be a fault claim against me.

So I told them to forget it and have moved my insurance from them 100% all cars & home.

I doubt any insurance company would have been any different but it made me feel better :lol:

That's now 2 weeks since I emailed Customer Services at Mitsubishi UK and have followed it up several times to be told someone would call me back in a few minutes..
Still no one has called me back!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 am 

Location: Inverness, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear light lenses.
Mitsubishi really can't wriggle out of this one. If the handbrake failed then it failed. If you'd parked the vehicle in these circumstances, not applied the handbrake, and then complained to Mitsubishi that the 'P' lock alone had failed to stop the vehicle from moving I wonder what Mitsubishi would have said? Most likely - 'you should have applied the handbrake' I would think. I haven't looked but I can imagine that the handbook will tell you not to rely on the 'P' lock alone, always apply the handbrake. So if the handbrake fails...

I recently didn't renew with Admiral - plumped for Mitsubishi (Original Insurance) as they use OEM parts. So considering the circumstances, if you were insured with Mitsubishi that would be and intriguing scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm 

A4est wrote:
jaapv wrote:

I would have thought that should be the case. But as Admiral are a shower of buggers they just said it would be a fault claim against me.

So I told them to forget it and have moved my insurance from them 100% all cars & home.

I doubt any insurance company would have been any different but it made me feel better :lol:

That's now 2 weeks since I emailed Customer Services at Mitsubishi UK and have followed it up several times to be told someone would call me back in a few minutes..
Still no one has called me back!!
I would have called another insurance - my legal one... Showers of buggers deserve sharp aps on noses.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next