Winter/offroad tyres on 16" rims? Anyone tried?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmoscow

Wanted some advice on tyres. Winter is almost over but want to plan ahead for next one and look at some options and maybe buy in the spring/summer, hopefully getting a cheaper deal out of season? Don't know if tyre places do that? Discount winter tyre stock in the spring/summer? Anyway...
My Phev (like most I guess) has 225/55 R18....
So can't get decent winter/off road tyres for it....looking on black circles, best thing I can find are yokohama geolandar at £113 and pirelli cross Climate at £160 and Michelin winter tyres at £185! ouch...

Would anyone advise to get a second hand set of 16" alloys and stick some BFGs on? 16" will provide more offroad/winter options. I don't want to do extreme offroading, but want something that will be better in a field/mud/greenlanes and in snow/ice.
Unfortunately BFG don't seem to do an all terrain/winter/mud tyre in 18" with a 55 profile. So I need to drop to 16" wheel and increase to 75-80 profile to maintain same overall diameter and not affect speedo?
I was also told that having higher profile will provide a more comfortable ride, as low profile tyres are quite hard, so you feel every bump and every pothole (and there are a lot of them about!).
So a higher profile tyre provides more absorbency and softer ride.

I'm thinking if I can get a spare "alloy+tyre" set then I can swap them for winter and keep others in shed? Get a second hand set of 16" rims and stick BFG all terrains on.

Few questions I have:

-Has anyone done this?
-Do 16" rims fit over the brakes?
-What width rim do I need to get - 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5"??? or what's the widest you can go to? wider tyre=more grip right?
-If anyone's done it and can send links to the rims they bought? or any pics? I can get some cheap landrover rims 2nd hand, but they have 5 studs and PHEV has 6....so have to be correct pattern.
-What tyres to go for? 215, 225, 245 and what profile? is there a calculation guide when switching rims/profiles to ensure the overall stays the same?
-does it affect TPMS or how do you do this without affecting TPMS?
-does it affect warranty?

Any advice welcome.
Thanks

been offered these landrover rims with tyres included, but not sure if they'd fit or not....
original 18" phev rims and landrover 16" rims side by side
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19w-L58CP09tRNl68026pkHJEcXqiN9DD

No problem. I am running 215/70/16 wintertyres on my PHEV. You can get rims from any decent onlineshop. Bolt pattern is 5/114,3 and ET 38 but normally you just give them the carmodel and they will give you correct recommendations. Width is determined by tyresize so check this before buying. I am not using the TPMS and have the annoying warning sign but otherwise there is no problem running without TPMS. Make sure you get matching bolts because the OEM rims have flathead bolts and most aftermarkets (not all) have conical heads.

Steepndeep said:
No problem. I am running 215/70/16 wintertyres on my PHEV. You can get rims from any decent onlineshop. Bolt pattern is 5/114,3 and ET 38 but normally you just give them the carmodel and they will give you correct recommendations. Width is determined by tyresize so check this before buying. I am not using the TPMS and have the annoying warning sign but otherwise there is no problem running without TPMS. Make sure you get matching bolts because the OEM rims have flathead bolts and most aftermarkets (not all) have conical heads.

brilliant, thanks for the info!

Another thread here:

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2779

I opted for 225/55 R18 Cooper Weathermaster WSC winter tyres after reading some fantastic reviews. Only about £82.00 each. Prices do fluctuate enormously through the year.
They performed very well in the snow but the little Phev was somewhat limited due to having the same ground clearance as a small cat. ;)

MrPastry said:
Another thread here:

I opted for 225/55 R18 Cooper Weathermaster WSC winter tyres after reading some fantastic reviews. Only about £82.00 each. Prices do fluctuate enormously through the year.
They performed very well in the snow but the little Phev was somewhat limited due to having the same ground clearance as a small cat. ;)

spot on thanks. I'm tempted with swapping to 16" and sticking on BFG all terrain, which will see me through the mud, as well as snow.
Like I said, I don't want to do extreme offroading, but will be going in muddy fields and want the traction :)

MrPastry said:
Another thread here:

Does the TPMS still work?

You should should have no problems with 16 inch rims, the alternative specs are in the manual and on the door arch regarding tyre sizes pressures.

Picture attached used original outlander rims with Khumo Venture APT 70 inch tyres

Attachments

• Beach Phev.JPG
    Beach Phev.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 146
fatnat said:
You should should have no problems with 16 inch rims, the alternative specs are in the manual and on the door arch regarding tyre sizes pressures.

Picture attached used original outlander rims with Khumo Venture APT 70 inch tyres

original rims are 18"? so by putting bigger profile tyres will increase overall diameter? will it cause issue with rubbing on the arches etc?

djmoscow said:
fatnat said:

original rims are 18"? so by putting bigger profile tyres will increase overall diameter? will it cause issue with rubbing on the arches etc?

No I meant original non phev outlander or the standard outlander petrol/diesel version 16 inch alloys.There is no increase in diameter or impact on the speedo or arches etc.

I use the 16/70s in summer and the 18/55s in winter.

fatnat said:
djmoscow said:
fatnat said:

No I meant original non phev outlander or the standard outlander petrol/diesel version 16 inch alloys.There is no increase in diameter or impact on the speedo or arches etc.

I use the 16/70s in summer and the 18/55s in winter.

ok thanks

Steepndeep said:

Note if you need an MOT it would fail with TPMS warning cos you have your winters fitted.

EssexBoy said:
Steepndeep said:

Note if you need an MOT it would fail with TPMS warning cos you have your winters fitted.

So my MOT is in September, it passes, then I stick the winter tyres on in November and put summer tyres back on in March before the next MOT. During the winter months I'll have the warning light. But it's passed mot prior to the change. How's does that work? Is that legal?

In Sweden it is not mandatory to have TPMS fitted so I will not fail MOT. Sweden, and I believe the other Nordic countries, have wisely decided to not require TPMS on tyres as we legally have to change between winter and summer tyres and the aftermarket TPMS is almost more expensive than the tyre itself. The alternative would likely be that everyone runs All-Season studless tyres and they are not really excellent at anything so would increase accidents considerably. It is really impossible to have a rubbermixture which works excellent across the whole temp range from -35C to +35C, and studded wintertyres are illegal in summertime anyways.

djmoscow said:
So my MOT is in September, it passes, then I stick the winter tyres on in November and put summer tyres back on in March before the next MOT. During the winter months I'll have the warning light. But it's passed mot prior to the change. How's does that work? Is that legal?
Well frankly I dunno. Perhaps there's a UK lawyer or policeman on this forum who could help out here. But, the MOT requirement was from Jan 2015 and new cars from Nov '14 had to have TPMS installed. The EU directive is all about type approval and the penalties for non-compliant manufacturers - nothing about drivers on a day to day basis. I would expect the issue might become problematic legally for an insurance company if a car that requires TPMS didn't have it operative and it was in a crash and there was a question as to whether the tyre pressures were correct. That said I would be happier if the car coming towards me on a snowy road had winter tyres and no TPMS rather than summer tyres and working TPMS.

I noticed a 5% difference between the GPS speed and the speedometer, this last one being optimistic. To get the real thing, better to buy a slightly larger diameter tyres.

The speedo has to be optimistic by law, so that there is no chance of you speeding. As your tyres wear, the speedo gets faster as the rolling radius decreases, but only by a maximum of around 1%

Any tried a 225/65R18 size tire?

Or a 235/65R18 size tire?

I picked up a set of 225/65R18 Federal Couragia S/U tires from ebay, will report back when mounted

Attachments

• COURAGIA-SU.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm seriously looking at the Yokohama Geolander G015 AT tires in 235/60/R18, since my OEM Toyos are over 60,000 km, and one has a cut near the bead from being curbed.

I'm waiting for a 40mm lift kit to arrive from Russia, then I'll have that and the tires installed, along with an alignment to make sure it's all still in spec.

Back