Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Drive battery degradation and the out of whack IMO BMU.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:59 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Lockyer Valley, QLD, Australia
elm70 wrote:
I can't agree with your view

As well, your videos about he PHEV did show multiple times that your EV range and SOC was going down while your car was parked for over 2 hours.

Couple of times you did report that after a trip in 100% EV mode, you did report that the ICE did kick in as soon your restarted the car after over 2h parking ... once was also documented in a video, showing the battery voltage at around 3.76v per cell (even down to 26% SOC the voltage per cell should be never below 3.80v)

These for me these are clear signs that the assumed SOH is above the real SOH .. or at least the SOH is to high for the measured current flow monitored during your car usage

Every time the SOC goes down while parked , it means that the SOH is bigger then what it is in reality (or at least the reality that the PHEV can sense via voltage monitor after over 2h rest and current flow integration and monitoring)

Every time this happen, in my view the PHEV record this error , between the Ah SOC before and after the parking rest .. and based on the history or the accumulation of these error over days, the PHEV may decide to reduce the SOH (but if may even decide to increase the SOH if the car detect that after parking there is more capacity then what predicted)

The tricky part of my "assumption" .. is about:
A - How the PHEV will update the SOH if the car is never charged and used all the time in ICE mode ...
B - How the PHEV will update the SOH if the car is immediately charge after every EV usage, without any "rest" time for check the voltage level

About A ... I guess the PHEV may not bother to update the SOH .. as long the car is used in pure hybrid mode.. the real SOH is not relevant ...

About B ... maybe the PHEV has some tricky way to allow the battery to rest for check the real SOH/SOC before starting the charging process

Anyhow .. I can't say the software is garbage in the PHEV ... I also don't see how SOH and SOC can be monitor in EV without ever allowing fully discharge the battery ...


Well, before the software update during the recall last year, the algorithm never seemed to downgrade the EV range while parking. In Winter it kept the the same range or a small gain and in summer it bumped it up to 2-5km. Unfortunately I did not have the Dog at this time so could not really see what was going on. I only could monitor the EV km on the GOM which was.. well it's a GOM. Now with the Dog we can see what is happening and be more precise in our assumptions.
Again, after the reset why did the car have so much pure Ev range without changing the voltage range at all. It can be only related to the software which was protecting the real SoH before that. Otherwise the capacity would not have come back.
Of course the true and real capacity can only be determined by fully discharging+charging the battery and storing these information in the BMS. This will never happen in the PHEV though for known reasons. The software should therefore be capable of calculating the SoH itself and not providing us with false information. Not any other EV/PHEV I've ever heard of has 20% loss of capacity due to degradation within the first 50.000km or almost 30% at 80000km as seen by others. That would be the worst battery ever, not suitable for any EV! If other EVs suffering from such a degradation it would have been made public you think already?
You can only measure two things on a cell directly, the voltage and the temperature. For everything else there is already a calculation necessary which may or may not be accurate. And I still think the current software is not good enough to do that job. I also doubt Mitsubishi will ever update this software on the older models as from an economical perspective, selling new cars is far more profitable than keeping existing ones alive.

_________________
The good, the bad and the ugly of the Outlander PHEV:
https://www.youtube.com/unpluggedev


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drive battery degradation and the out of whack IMO BMU.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:18 pm
Posts: 689
Location: Poland
For me it is very logical and quite correct on Mitsubishi side

As far as I know also the Nissan Leaf especially the 1st generation did/does suffer from battery degradation .. but since Nissan did guarantee some % of SOH inside X years and Y miles ... degradated battery from the Leaf get substituted once they get too bad.

Anyhow ... the battery stress in our PHEV is bigger then in normal EV ... our PHEV is requested to be discharged up to 60kw and charged up to 35kw .. and for a 12kwh battery these are big number ... especially normal driving require often burst over 40kw , and regen brake over 15kw ... so in normal usage the battery get get a high stress ... think of a tesla with a 100kwh pack ... in normal driving hardly is needed more then 70kw. and regen does not need to be more then 50kw ... for a 100kwh battery these number are so low that the voltage of the pack does possibly never get depressed like our PHEV (I have notice up to 3.3v per cell, in our PHEV which bounce back to 3.80 at rest ... a sign of a huge stress for the battery .. something I believe can't happen on big tesla)

For example the Lead had 80kw power, and 24kwh battery ... so worst scenario is a power usage 3.3:1 vs 5:1 .. and normal usage in Leaf possibly is around 30kw power burst ... so almost 1:1 vs 3:1 ... so ... you can see how much more stress the PHEV battery get compared to other EV

I think that our PHEV battery does degrade relative fast ... and it is not a software error .. the only "responsibility" of the software is to have the "dirty task" to calculate and show the battery degradation.

It would have been interesting to know what would be the result after a proper battery smoothing in your PHEV, unfortunately the dealers in Australia are doing this procedure in the wrong way .. instead of doing the smoothing they just reset some BMU parameters ... causing even more problems .. even if for a short time this look like that the battery in the PHEV is again as good as new

PS: A very significant case .. is in one of your video .. you did show that after having used the car in EV mode .. after 2h or more of rest ... voltage per cell was 3.75v and the ICE did kick in as soon as you switch on the car ... this is a clear sign that the PHEV did allow to overdischarge the battery ... and this is due to the fact that in your PHEV at the time the SOH was bigger then what was in reality .. so .. if the SOH is bigger then the real SOH .. it is normal that the software does reduce SOH and reduce EV range after usage and rest without charging.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drive battery degradation and the out of whack IMO BMU.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:26 pm
Posts: 92
Location: San Antonio, TX
Bert wrote:
Well, before the software update during the recall last year, the algorithm never seemed to downgrade the EV range while parking. In Winter it kept the the same range or a small gain and in summer it bumped it up to 2-5km. Unfortunately I did not have the Dog at this time so could not really see what was going on. I only could monitor the EV km on the GOM which was.. well it's a GOM. Now with the Dog we can see what is happening and be more precise in our assumptions.
Again, after the reset why did the car have so much pure Ev range without changing the voltage range at all. It can be only related to the software which was protecting the real SoH before that. Otherwise the capacity would not have come back.
Of course the true and real capacity can only be determined by fully discharging+charging the battery and storing these information in the BMS. This will never happen in the PHEV though for known reasons. The software should therefore be capable of calculating the SoH itself and not providing us with false information. Not any other EV/PHEV I've ever heard of has 20% loss of capacity due to degradation within the first 50.000km or almost 30% at 80000km as seen by others. That would be the worst battery ever, not suitable for any EV! If other EVs suffering from such a degradation it would have been made public you think already?
You can only measure two things on a cell directly, the voltage and the temperature. For everything else there is already a calculation necessary which may or may not be accurate. And I still think the current software is not good enough to do that job. I also doubt Mitsubishi will ever update this software on the older models as from an economical perspective, selling new cars is far more profitable than keeping existing ones alive.

My 2018 North American model updates with a higher SOC more days than not after sitting. Let me know how many kWH you're missing and I'll stuff them in a box for the boat ride south. :lol:

There are three things that can be measured by a decent BMS - voltage and temperature as you noted, and charge in and out (Coulomb counting). Voltage and temperature measurements should be reasonably accurate and precise, but the error bars expand for energy tracking. The thing that cannot be measured is the actual capacity of a cell for that particular age and temperature. To know the actual cell (and thus battery) capacity, one would have to run a full discharge-charge cycle - and that would increase the rate of battery degradation.

Since we can't know the actual capacity of the battery at any particular time, we can't know the exact state of charge. The problem here isn't the software or the battery, it's the faulty expectation of the operator. This isn't a Mitsubishi problem - this is the reality for all portable devices.

_________________
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive "The Bumblebee" (returned at end of lease)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drive battery degradation and the out of whack IMO BMU.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:59 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Lockyer Valley, QLD, Australia
AndyH wrote:

My 2018 North American model updates with a higher SOC more days than not after sitting. Let me know how many kWH you're missing and I'll stuff them in a box for the boat ride south. :lol:

There are three things that can be measured by a decent BMS - voltage and temperature as you noted, and charge in and out (Coulomb counting). Voltage and temperature measurements should be reasonably accurate and precise, but the error bars expand for energy tracking. The thing that cannot be measured is the actual capacity of a cell for that particular age and temperature. To know the actual cell (and thus battery) capacity, one would have to run a full discharge-charge cycle - and that would increase the rate of battery degradation.

Since we can't know the actual capacity of the battery at any particular time, we can't know the exact state of charge. The problem here isn't the software or the battery, it's the faulty expectation of the operator. This isn't a Mitsubishi problem - this is the reality for all portable devices.


I cannot see this as a fault of the operator. Other EVs do not seem to have this problem, I'm sure someone would have noticed and made this public as #parkinggate or something. Furthermore, before the update the BMS has calculated the SoC correctly (in my eyes) and gave me more KM after a rest and temperature rise of the battery during parking. The new version does not do this anymore. I have not changed but the software has...
If they do an update on your 2018 model and it now shows 1Ah less after parking would you say that's OK and think that's better and more accurate than before?

_________________
The good, the bad and the ugly of the Outlander PHEV:
https://www.youtube.com/unpluggedev


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drive battery degradation and the out of whack IMO BMU.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:26 pm
Posts: 92
Location: San Antonio, TX
Bert wrote:
AndyH wrote:

My 2018 North American model updates with a higher SOC more days than not after sitting. Let me know how many kWH you're missing and I'll stuff them in a box for the boat ride south. :lol:

There are three things that can be measured by a decent BMS - voltage and temperature as you noted, and charge in and out (Coulomb counting). Voltage and temperature measurements should be reasonably accurate and precise, but the error bars expand for energy tracking. The thing that cannot be measured is the actual capacity of a cell for that particular age and temperature. To know the actual cell (and thus battery) capacity, one would have to run a full discharge-charge cycle - and that would increase the rate of battery degradation.

Since we can't know the actual capacity of the battery at any particular time, we can't know the exact state of charge. The problem here isn't the software or the battery, it's the faulty expectation of the operator. This isn't a Mitsubishi problem - this is the reality for all portable devices.


I cannot see this as a fault of the operator. Other EVs do not seem to have this problem, I'm sure someone would have noticed and made this public as #parkinggate or something.

With respect, the Outlander PHEV is not an EV. It's a hybrid. The 'problem' here is one of intense observation. Batteries are not static devices - they're electrochemical critters that are in a constant state of change. One might as well be monitoring the volume of blood in their body or complaining when their red blood cell count changes. Normal changes in batteries over time aren't cause for concern with most hybrid owners since most don't know how battery performance changes with use and temperature.

Bert wrote:
Furthermore, before the update the BMS has calculated the SoC correctly (in my eyes) and gave me more KM after a rest and temperature rise of the battery during parking. The new version does not do this anymore. I have not changed but the software has...
If they do an update on your 2018 model and it now shows 1Ah less after parking would you say that's OK and think that's better and more accurate than before?

I'm driving the car, not using it as an analysis test bed. As I worked with lithium cells for about 10 years hand-building batteries, I understand how they change and I don't get my panties in a knot when the numbers shift around during the day. If my car's reflashed and now it shows a 1 Ah drop when parking, all I can say is that I don't have enough information to know if it's more or less accurate. There are so many variables that even repeated 'test drives' aren't very useful in deciding how the battery's doing. There's a lot of noise in the data - best to focus on the long-term trend.

ETA... I had a smart EV for three years. It has an analogue battery charge gauge and a guess-o-meter. There are no monitoring programs available (like the watchdog) that provide cell-level information. I had absolutely no stress about how much the thermal management system took from the battery, and had no stress about the way the state of charge changes through the day because the data weren't available. After a few months, I learned that I needed about 20% of charge to make a 18-20 mile drive - that was all the information I needed in order to use the car to it's max capability.

_________________
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive "The Bumblebee" (returned at end of lease)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
© Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group