Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vibration - Roof Rails ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:19 am 

Hi all. I have a 2014 PHEV with intégral roof rails. For about 6 weeks I have noticed an intermittent vibration that I think is coming from the front trim of the roof rails. Usually only at 70 km/h or higher and with a headwind. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for a cure? Any tips on how to remove and refit the trim? Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Vibration - Roof Rails ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:46 pm 

2015 model with the same noises. Haven’t been able to pin down where the noise is coming from but will look into the roof rails.

Thanks, Ray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 pm 

Look at the roof rails just above the windscreen, there’s a strip of rubber between the roof and the rails that is loose and could be causing the vibration. I’m going to try using some silicone rubber to glue the strip down and see if it stops the noise. I’ll report back when done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 pm 

Linxray wrote:
Look at the roof rails just above the windscreen, there’s a strip of rubber between the roof and the rails that is loose and could be causing the vibration. I’m going to try using some silicone rubber to glue the strip down and see if it stops the noise. I’ll report back when done.

Agreed that this is definitely the source of the vibration. I also thought about silicone, instead I decided to put a 2cm strip of electricians’ tape horizontally across the gap/joint at the front edge on both rails just before my latest 3 hour journey. Result - there was not a hint of the vibration. As this “fix” is relatively discreet, I will leave it at that for now but, when I can, I will ask my service centre whether there is a proper solution.