Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3 years old range on battery?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 am 

My PHEV is over 4y old .. it will be 5y old at end of year .. and with ~84k miles

Recently ... I got on display my record high EV range .. 56km or 34 miles .. I never seen so high EV range before .. even if the SOH decreased since I got my PHEV 2nd hand ~ 18 months ago

As far as I know :

The EV range is based on SOH and last average consumption in the last km of the last trip .. which sometime for me is done very slowly .. since I'm living into a 30km/h max speed area.

In reality without AC and driving sensibly without exceeding 80km/h .. I can get 45km or 28miles in pure EV range .. even if my car is old.

I believe the only factors that is relevant on EV range is:
- The right foot attitude over the acceleration pedal.
- Drive in B0 and switch to B5 before slow down or press the braking pedal.
- The SOH of battery ... my old PHEV is still above 90% SOH .. so the original 52km range is only compromised by 10% .. that is 46km .. that I can still do when driving very carefully

The usage of AC .. or warming up the cabin ... or driving above 90km/h .. or accelerate faster .. or drive in B5 with continuous acceleration and deceleration (B0 allow to drive at constant speed in max efficiency) .. will cause less range then the ideal ... and as well this is impacted in the shown EV range on the MMCS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 am 

moonrakre wrote:
Hi,

I have just bought a 3 year and 2 month old Outlander PHEV, first registered February 2015. After I charge it the car says I have a 20 mile range and I get about 20 miles with the air con and headlamps turned off. It varies a bit from day to day but only by about a mile.

I was rather hoping for more, after the adverts says 32 miles and these batteries should last 10 years or more. So are my batteries knackered and are they covered by the warrantee?

What do you guys get from an early 2015 car now?

Best wishes

Adrian

Try to drive slowly on the last 2 km of your trip before putting the car on charge .. and you should see much higher value

As well ... EV range is decrised by 30% if AC is click on ... just switch off AC.. and EV range will jump up

Anyhow ... for know the status of your battery .. just get an OBD2 compatible adapter, and use EvBatMon or the WatchDog ... and you will know the real SOH ... which does impact the possible max range in EV only mode.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:22 am 

WAH64 wrote:
ThudnBlundr wrote:

I still wonder about the labelling on the paddles. Does minus mean less speed? It doesn't really make sense...

I don’t know what your problem is. Minus for more regeneration and plus for less. It’s just like the drive mode selector, forward for reverse and backwards to go forwards. Entirely logical :lol:

Very logical :lol:

+ Paddle is used for decrease the regen brake from B5 down to B0
- Paddle is used for increase the regen brake from B0 up to B5

Default D is B2 ... so as soon as +/- is used .. D is gone and replaced by B1 or B3 ...

But .. after a gear change (from Forward to Backward , or to Park) .. and the car is back in Drive ... instead of Bx as last usage the car go back in D .. again very logical :lol:

Anyhow ... these paddle are in theory designed for support more convenient driving when going downhill ... but ... people still use these for change the driving behavior of the car, and maximize the regen braking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:34 am 

moonrakre wrote:
One of the places I go is Harlow so the proliferation of roundabouts would be the main "geographical" feature!

I go through Milton Keynes (the roundabout capital of the world) quite often. It drastically reduces ICE fuel consumption, as you drive at 60-70mph* on unrestricted dual carriageways, then brake for a roundabout every mile or so and then accelerate again. This works much better on an EV with rheostatic braking.

* You could drive at 30-40mph, but that would mean spending twice as long in MK :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:45 pm 

elm70 wrote:
Anyhow ... for know the status of your battery .. just get an OBD2 compatible adapter, and use EvBatMon or the WatchDog ... and you will know the real SOH ... which does impact the possible max range in EV only mode.

Thank you for this. I am now ploughing through the options here.

There appear to be three apps of interest here : Torque, EvBatMon and Watchdog. EvBatMon costs upfront whereas Watchdog asks for a donation, but EvBatMon is on Google Play which means it has satisfied their security checks. Torque is something different but has a huge amount of info very cheap. So either EvBatMon or Watchdog will show the battery conditions but one of the things I am also interested in doing is to monitor the quantity of electricity that goes in through the charging cables. Are there any apps that can do that?

For years now I have monitored the costs of ownership of my cars through the app ACar (now owned by Fuelly), the bit of cost that is missing is the cost of the electricity. I may have to put a meter on my outside socket (and hope the lawn mower doesn't use a significant amount!). But if one of these apps can pick up the data that would be bonzer.

For the OBD2 I have ordered a Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 which claims to work with Torque so should work with the others. The alternative was the Vgate Icar pro at a higher price so if the Panlong doesn't work I'll be kicking myself for being a cheapskate!

Other than that the warmer weather today seems to have left me with more in the batteries on return from the Gym and Harlow - that's good news.

So soon I will know if my batteries have a Sense Of Humour - or does SOH mean State of Health?

Best Wishes

Adrian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:54 pm 

Ups ...

I should have mention that both EVBatMon and WatchDog works only with a small selection of ODB2 adapters
The EvbatMon has a web site which mention which OBD2 have been proven to be working, possibly similar is on facebook page of the WatchDog

The Battery information and SOH (sort of sense of humor from Mitsubishi, since it is questionable how they did implement the State of health of the battery) , as far as I know they can't be seen using Torque , or at least not in a easy way

The WatchDog can be consider safe, even if it is not in Android Play Store

Amount of consumed electricity can be monitored over the MMCS .. there is a dedicated page that show the last charge and the counters of previous days and months .. only requirement is to set the cost per kwh in the MMCS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 am 

elm70 wrote:
Amount of consumed electricity can be monitored over the MMCS

The GX3 is the UK base model and I don't think it has MMCS. I wish Mitsi had a global naming system for their different models, but perhaps the configs are different in different countries. FWIW, I find charging from 'empty' takes about 10kWh of electricity. Perhaps use a clamp meter if you need an accurate reading?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:33 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
elm70 wrote:
Amount of consumed electricity can be monitored over the MMCS

The GX3 is the UK base model and I don't think it has MMCS. I wish Mitsi had a global naming system for their different models, but perhaps the configs are different in different countries. FWIW, I find charging from 'empty' takes about 10kWh of electricity. Perhaps use a clamp meter if you need an accurate reading?

"Empty" is a tricky concept .. since battery can be discharged in EV mode down to 30% or down to 25% based on how are driven the last km

Anyhow 10kwh is the max charging you may see, if your battery is as good as new, and the "Empty" was down to 25%

In my case I see normally 8.5kwh max ... rarely around 9.0kwh .. and my battery SOH is 90.5%

About monitoring without MMCS

I recently got locally something similar to this: https://www.banggood.com/TS-836B-Digita ... 43110.html ... and it is looking quite good ... they make this (or clones) with any possible plug .. so I'm sure you can get it cheap in some local UK shop too.

I also find this that is maybe quite nice: https://www.banggood.com/Broadlink-Wifi ... 49628.html .. maybe it does report over WIFi the consumption ... but apparently only EU plug .. but I'm sure there are also UK version too , after some better search

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:38 am 

I was recommended the TP-Link version, which is remotely controlled and has wifi

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:57 am 

ThudnBlundr wrote:
I was recommended the TP-Link version, which is remotely controlled and has wifi

A bit more expensive then the Chinese version ... but it is looking to be worth it

Now that I know that nice WiFi switch exist ... I may have to buy a couple of them sometime in the future

If I could even monitor the 3 phase power that does control my home electric heating system .. will be a must have for me ... I have already a Orange Board PC at home that handle my alarm motion sensors, home temperature and cameras that I have at home ... I'm just missing to control the power consumption in the most relevant point :ugeek:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next