Australians down under

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How have you gone for servicing after the fixed price period?

Those of us who bought ex-fleet don't get the capped price servicing :( , so as a guide, I was charged (no chance to negotiate as neither dealer nor I knew about the issue until after the car was dropped off and work started) a bit over $800 for the 24 month service. I plan to attempt to negotiate a lower price before the 36 month one, due later this month.

Darkflow said:
How have you gone for servicing after the fixed price period?

Those of us who bought ex-fleet don't get the capped price servicing :( , so as a guide, I was charged (no chance to negotiate as neither dealer nor I knew about the issue until after the car was dropped off and work started) a bit over $800 for the 24 month service. I plan to attempt to negotiate a lower price before the 36 month one, due later this month.

The dealers are seriously trying to rip you off.....
I also have an ex fleet one and was initially quoted over $900 for the 24mth one, got it down to $380.00 with another Mitsu dealer, although had to travel 150k round trip. You need to point out what is in the service schedule for that particular job and then ask them to explain what the "big ticket" items are...
There actually aren't any!!
the main item is oil and filter change (no fancy oil required)
brake fluid replacement and checking of coolants..... That's about it!!! They don't even need to take off the wheels to check the brake pads.
I don't begrudge the dealers trying to make a buck, but I do believe in a fair price for simple routine job.....and sadly that's rarely the case with car dealers (not just Mitsu ones).

jaapv said:
You really should complain to Mitsubishi Australia. Importers don't like tricks such as this.

It's probably not as simple as that. Firstly, dealer are independent businesses, secondly, Mitsubishi is probably not the most sought after brand dealers are scrambling to get a franchise for, thirdly, some dealers did invest in supporting the PHEV and really it has been a bit of a flop here... I think less than 2000 are on the road here after 4 years.

Pulling a dealership is still a powerful weapon. I have seen dealers go under by such a conflict, even from small brands.
A dealer would not only lose the PHEV, but the whole range, quite apart from the reputation damage.

Also, has anyone had one serviced outside of Mitsubishi? Thru another machanic or a group like ultra tune?

I mentioned it at the Ultra Tune where I had my previous car serviced, and they were pretty wary...

(i.e. said "No.")

"We don't want to get electrocuted"

:lol:

AndyInOz said:
I mentioned it at the Ultra Tune where I had my previous car serviced, and they were pretty wary...

(i.e. said "No.")

"We don't want to get electrocuted"

:lol:

Chickens.......

So, my 36 month service non capped price negotiations so far include quotes of $950 and $520 - These are both from Mitsubishi dealerships.

I have a very good independent workshop across the road and might ask them if they're interested. It obviously pays to shop around though.

Darkflow said:
So, my 36 month service non capped price negotiations so far include quotes of $950 and $520 - These are both from Mitsubishi dealerships.

I have a very good independent workshop across the road and might ask them if they're interested. It obviously pays to shop around though.

I have had my 36mths service done at a dealership on the Central Coast. $470. They did start out quoting 900 odd $, but halved it when I pointed out that it wasn't a very big service... reckon they still did ok at $470.00.

There is nothing in that service that is specific to an EV... basically it's just an oi/filter change, air cleaner element and a few sundry bits. The service schedule in your handbook shows quite clearly what should be done.

@HHL - it's supposed to also include oil / fluid changes for the front and rear transaxle (ATF SP III) and front EV cooling system (CVTF-J4) - did they do those?

Darkflow said:
@HHL - it's supposed to also include oil / fluid changes for the front and rear transaxle (ATF SP III) and front EV cooling system (CVTF-J4) - did they do those?

No.... and I don't think that is in the schedule anyway.

According to what is in my book:

Coolant - EV cooling system (rear motor) Every 20 years
Oil -EV cooling system (front motor) Every 20 years

Engine coolant: 96 mths/ 120,000km
Transmission oil: 72mths/90,000km

It's shown in the 'Additional Service Table' on page 21 of the Service and Warranty booklet. 36 month / 45 km is supposed to be Schedule A + C + those additional items. Those additional ones don't get done again until 72 months / 90 km.

Edit: I've just read the small print and the additional service table applies if you are:

Doing frequent short runs
More than 50% heavy city traffic
Prolonged idling (not really a thing with the PHEV) or stop-start driving (I wouldn't think this would matter either)
Sustained high speed driving
Dusty / sandy conditions
High loads - eg towing.

I do qualify for the first two, so I might ask what those are worth from the lower quoter.

I would say the first two items are a carry-over from other service schedules in from the ICE Outlander.
Frequent short runs and stop start city traffic certainly affect the oil in a combustion engine, but I would think not at all if your city driving is mostly electric.
Transmission oil? Not likely to be adversely affected at all and I'd rather not have them fiddle with stuff that doesn't really need doing (far too many bad experiences with dealer service over the years).

Thanks - yes, on further reflection, I won't bother. I can always change the translaxle oil myself early if I feel the need. I can't see how the EV cooling oil is going to age more quickly with short running.

Darkflow said:
Code:
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/mitsubishi-motors-australia-ltd-13-155my-xb-asx-and-13-16my-zj-zk-outlander

All vehicles are subject to condition a) whilst only some vehicles are subject to condition b)

a) Improper sealing of parking brake caliper may allow water entry, causing rust on the parking brake shaft. As a result the brake shaft may stick, and this may allow the vehicle to roll away when parked;

b) A defect with with the parking brake automatic adjuster may fail to compensate for brake pad wear, and this may allow the vehicle to roll away when parked.

Just got my phone call from Mitsu regarding this so sounds like they are doing the rounds.

My retired mechanic services my phev no problems, follows the manual, always checks the phev with the Mitsu service centre for any updates including the latest updates for example the break-recall and they have no problems with warrantee etc. I mean he takes the vehicle in to the Mitsu service centre, they plug the phev into their computers to update their records and for anything unusual.

Currently completed at 90,000 service and he again will take it in for me prior to the unscheduled out of warrantee check plus get a battery report ($100 for the battery report)

His fee is no more than any regular ICE vehicle. The only tip you should give these brave mechanics is how to start the fossil engine so that the new oil does its rounds on completion of service.

I mean he takes the vehicle in to the Mitsu service centre, they plug the phev into their computers to update their records and for anything unusual.

I'm surprised that they allow that - do they charge for that ?

Darkflow said:
I'm surprised that they allow that - do they charge for that ?

I once had a Chrysler Neon timing belt change at Ultratune as it was 1/2 price of the Chrysler dealership. I only discovered, after things went wrong, that Ultratune had borrowed a special puller tool from the Chrysler dealership for the job!
It seems there is a grease monkey code of sharing.

Back