Another new potential buyer - typical question, with a twist

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrude

Hi, I have spent several hours reading posts on here, as my wife is thinking of changing her Lexus RX400h for either an outlander Phev or RX450h (used, budget upto 15K).

I have pushed her towards the Outlander (as secretly I want one, but would not suit my commute profile as I work away in the week, and have no mid week charge options). We live in a rural, very hilly part of Yorkshire, and my wife works in Leeds city centre (so doesn't want diesel). Her commute would be 4 miles of steep rural unmarked, largely single track roads, followed by the dual carriage way / M62 (22miles at 50-70mph, again moderately hilly). She doesn't have a charge option at work. 55mile round trip.

The questions I have:

- Is it worth paying more for the GX4h if it is going to be garaged and the initial part of the journey will but be up and down very steep hills, Ie will the engine fire up anyway due to the terrain like it does on the lexus, and my IS300h?

- I appreciate this is massively subjective, is the commute too big to take advantage of the PHEV battery? A lot of post for the larger commutes seem to suggest a huge range difference 25-45mpg. Love to hear thoughts / guesstimates for the MPG on this journey...

(Just a thought after I typed this, could the low MPG figures be from the USA, uk/us gallon difference)?

Many thanks,

Darren.

Welcome ;-)

I think the PHEV will have way better MPG compared to the RX400h

By charging only at home, it implies to have around 25miles in EV .. so only the left 30miles will need ICE .. that means around 60mpg at total average ... more or less based on the driving style ... but in the cost also electricity need to be calculated .. but I would guess that still the PHEV should have better economy then a RX400h

About being able to start the journey in pure EV mode, that's should not be a problem ... in EV mode there are 60kw of usable power .. so .. with some sensitivity on the handling of the acceleration it should not be a problem to take steep up hill streets ... without kick in the ICE ... but it require to be carefully on the "gas pedal"

Below 10ºC the ICE will kick in anyway for the first few miles, unless pre-heated. She would have to run the car at least on "save" or maybe better "charge" on the Motorway, to be able to use it properly inside the emission zone.
Maybe the OP will have the option to get a charge by the 3-pin plug from time to time?

I would go for the Lexus - with your journey profile, the PHEV is not going to be much cheaper to run and the Lexus is a far better built car.

IMO you're on the border-line. If charging was available at work then the PHEV would be a no-brainer, but if that's impossible, I'd go with the Lexus....if she really needs something that big....

Thank you all for the responses. Sounds like the extra 2K for the GX4h maybe isn't worth it then just for the pre-heater function (plus 2k, buys a lot of ICE on heating!).

Agree with the borderline position for the PHEV, think that's why we aren't sure of what to do for the best, suppose non commuting the PHEV will excel (local trips / school run etc). Very doubtful she could charge at work (Parking in Leeds city centre is a nightmare, but you never know, with the anti diesel push...)

Thanks,

Very much.

Don't forget that you'll get a lot of the extra paid when you come to sell the car. And the benefits of getting into a warm car with a clear screen on a cold day are difficult to quantify ;)

Plus it's free parking in Leeds if you drive an ULEV and live in the right postcode.

Free parking and live in the right postcode? Do you need an ls postcode as presumably you could possibly use public transport if you do?! Just wondering as parking is v expensive in Leeds - I only go occasionally.
Cheers
H

Back