brake controller install

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phevy

For those towing trailers with electric breaks, where/how did you install your electric break controller?
Wondering what would be the best place around the dash... :?:

I am currently doing this with my Phev but installing the controller on the trailer itself not the phev so that any suitable vehicle can use the trailer and electric brakes.
For example:https://www.elecbrakes.com/ ;)

Yeah agreed which is why I am getting one that is manually controlled rather than blue tooth/app, so have a search around for alternatives, my mechanic is doing this for me and I can let you know when done if you like but this may take a while I am in no rush.

To me the trailer installed version gets away from the idea of having it installed in the Phev because you are more likely to keep the trailer than the car.

I also found this one "Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control"
but still $300 more than a regular controller.
I'm interested what your mechanic comes up with?

So, noone had installed a brake controller themselves yet?
Do I need to pull the power from the back or can you get it from the fuse panel?
And where can you get the signal from the brake pedal?

Got under the dash today. Anyone know how to remove the lower panel with the knee bag? It's hard to get to the brake switch otherwise.
Anyone has a shop guide for panel removal and such? Have gotten thusfar without breaking anything, but the lower dash panel is a mistery.
I did a quick check of the brake switch. Is it correct that the brown wire is the signal wire for the brake controller?
Planning to run the brake power and power feed to the back via the driver side door sills.
The left switch bank is all blanks for my SE Touring, but feeling from behind there seems to be some stuff, that prevents me to have free access to the blanks...

Instead of ripping apart everything to try to access the brake switch, couldn't you just connect it to a brake light wire?
Unless it is a controller that needs a variable input.

So here is what I did:

I installed this:. CURT Custom 4-Flat Select Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV OEM. The connector fit perfectly in the connector that is under the rear left cover in the back trunk or boot. The connections were not the same so I had to change the pin configuration, but that was quick and easy.

And I installed this: Super repairman 4-Way Flat to 7-Way RV Round Blade and 4 Way Trailer Wiring Harness Adapter Trailer-Side 7 Pin and 4 Pin Dual-Output Connector Kit with Mounting Bracket. Now I have both connections for trailers of any type.

Then I installed this on a trailer: Tekonsha 902502 Prodigy RF, Plug & Play Trailer Mounted Proportional Brake Controller for Trailers with 1-3 Axles, Black. And this can be easily installed on any trailer you want to pull behind the car.

To set up works super and fully adjustable with any size or weight trailer.

It shouldn't interfere with the warranty because I am not installing a trailer brake system changing any of the wiring or connections of the vehicle since the actual trailer brake controller is on the trailer and not part of the car.

All done DIY, simple, under $400 for everything and no changes to the car.

Hope this helps

Back