USB and Cig. Lighter charger under armrest don't work

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LastTemplar

Hi again everyone :)
I have a cig. lighter power source and a USB power source under the armrest in my car, but it seems none of them work at all, when I plug in anything in there - phone or dashcam, nothing is getting charged. I have a cig. lighter in the front dashboard which works fine though.
Any idea how/if I can fix these myself?

Thanks!

Hi,

Check out fuse number 23 (Cigarette lighter/Accessory socket) behind the glove box. I think it's a 15amp mini blade fuse.

Chck out the handbook for instructions on removing the glove box lid. a fiddle, but not difficult.

Regards

DAUK said:
Hi,

Check out fuse number 23 (Cigarette lighter/Accessory socket) behind the glove box. I think it's a 15amp mini blade fuse.

Chck out the handbook for instructions on removing the glove box lid. a fiddle, but not difficult.

Regards
Awesome, thank you, will do and come back here with what I found :)

LastTemplar said:
DAUK said:
Hi,

Regards
Awesome, thank you, will do and come back here with what I found :)

I can't find anything that would be attached to this charger, I even checked every single fuse in all the fuse boxes and they all seemed fine.
Here is a photo of how this charger looks like
https://imgur.com/daD3C1m

The car is equipped with a Kenwood DDX971BTS if my dealer was not lying :) could that interfere with the charger?

It makes sense.

In my car, that USB port connects to the MMCS computer panel. Your Kenwood device replaces the MMCS as far as I can see.

However the 12 volt accessory socket (the cigarette lighter socket) should just be connected to power on the accessory circuit in the car. So I'm surprised that neither one works.

Now that I think about it, I may not even have that socket in my car, I'll have to check.

I would expect a USB cable to run from that socket to the back of your Kenwood unit, perhaps the installers forgot to plug it in, or, worst case, the unit doesn't have a USB socket.

(Edited to add: Looking online that unit does have a USB socket, so I'm guessing that the cable isn't plugged in, or there is a missing adapter.)

Hi,

Further to my earlier reply, I have a MY 2016 GX4h and my handbook covers the topic in pages 11.17 - 11.19.

In fitting front and rear dash cams I wanted them to be active only when the "ignition" was on or in the accessory position. I found that fuse 23 operated in ths way but fuse 7 (also shown as accessory socket) was always on. Of the 3 accessory sockets in the car I don't know which fuse covers which sockets, so you could try fuse 7.

I would think that it is only a fuse, but maybe not.

Regards

OP, as you have a GX3h the USB problem is likely due to having the aftermarket stereo.

On the original set up, the USB is wired into the Bluetooth module. Once an aftermarket head unit is fitted, you lose both voice dialling and the use of that port in the arm rest.

bbb

bigbaldbloke said:
OP, as you have a GX3h the USB problem is likely due to having the aftermarket stereo.

On the original set up, the USB is wired into the Bluetooth module. Once an aftermarket head unit is fitted, you lose both voice dialling and the use of that port in the arm rest.

bbb

At the moment I am not bugged by that USB really, because it seems that it is an Input anyway. I do care about that Power Outlet though, can't understand why that wouldn't work and have no idea how to check if it's connect to anything.

And you've checked every fuse, in both fuse boxes?

Stupid question, but I assume you're going to the ACC mode before testing a device?

bigbaldbloke said:
And you've checked every fuse, in both fuse boxes?

Stupid question, but I assume you're going to the ACC mode before testing a device?

Yes I actually checked all the fuses in all fuse boxes, had nothing else to do that evening :D and they did seem alright.
I have 2 dashcams and I checked both in ACC mode and full operating mode, and I tried each of them in both cig lighters that are present in the car and none of the devices worked from cig. lighter in the armrest.

If I were you then, I'd measure the resistance of the outer part of the socket to earth, then the volt drop between the core and earth. At least you'll know which aspect is the problem before potentially pulling the console apart.

I have a slightly odd issue with regard to the 12v and USB plugs. I have a couple of devices which plug in to the 12v in order to charge phones etc (usb outlets). Power is definitely getting to the device, but no power is then coming out of them to the phones. They work fine in other cars. USB under the armrest is also not supplying charge when a lead is plugged in there. Any thoughts?

Could it be the leads themselves? I currently run stuff - SatNav, DVD playes and phone charger- off all three PHEV outlets with no problems but have found that not all USB cables will work in all sockets all of the time - both cars and PCs.

For the USB, I think it's only 500mA so designed for music to go to the stereo, rather than charging devices.

Thanks for the tips: phones have started charging again when plugged in so must have been a loose connection or wiggly amp somewhere.

I have a similar problem, checked fuses 7 and 23 which are for 12v power outlets, fuse 23 is for the 12v socket on dash and i am assuming fuse 7 is for the othee sockets. but these fuses checked ok.
But the 12v socket inside the arm rest does not work but the usb does either when plugging phone in to charge or usb memory stick with music on.
What could be causing the 12v socket not to work, also when getting phev 2 week ago i found out the radio controls on steering wheel dont work which means i dont have working bluetooth.
Any ideas welcome
thanks

Back