PHEV Remote App and Android 6.0

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. This might be a good candidate for a sticky. I am pretty sure, Jaap can do this when he chooses to do so.

But I think we should not bounce topics as an alternative for sticky. I (and some others as well, I guess) try to keep up with what is new, and bouncing (pretty much closed) topics put these topics back in the list of unread items, which kinda devaluates the 'unread items' functionality ;)

anko said:
Agreed. This might be a good candidate for a sticky. I am pretty sure, Jaap can do this when he chooses to do so.

But I think we should not bounce topics as an alternative for sticky. I (and some others as well, I guess) try to keep up with what is new, and bouncing (pretty much closed) topics put these topics back in the list of unread items, which kinda devaluates the 'unread items' functionality ;)

It's not a closed topic as it keeps re-occurring, but I'm quite happy to just ignore the pleas in future.

JimB

Well, just in case it helps someone, I too had this problem.

A couple of months ago my vehicle was called in for a recall. As part of the recall they upgraded the in car software and issued me with a new password for the wifi (14 digits).

However, I could NOT get it to connect. Following some advice from this forum, I "forgot" the network but still no success. Another suggestion was to use an iPhone first. So, I borrowed my son's iPad and when I went to install it, I noticed three versions of the app. I then went back to Google play and it too had 3 versions.

It seems that if you have a park brake lever and a 14 digit password you need version 1. If passcode is 10 digits, use the original version and if you have a park brake button you need version 2

I installed version 1 and it connected immediately

Would have been nice if the dealer had pointed this out...

interesting, I thought you had to put the wifi password in on the connection to wifi network prompt (not in app). What I found that was PITA is that whilst I work from home near my car, my phone keeps connecting to wifi of the car when I wanted it to connect to my home wifi. Will have to try that "forget" wifi trick and see if that stops it connecting to car wifi when I don't want it to.

tweedie said:
interesting, I thought you had to put the wifi password in on the connection to wifi network prompt (not in app). What I found that was PITA is that whilst I work from home near my car, my phone keeps connecting to wifi of the car when I wanted it to connect to my home wifi. Will have to try that "forget" wifi trick and see if that stops it connecting to car wifi when I don't want it to.

Yes I made the same mistake when I first installed the app. Forget the AP and since then it's working well. When you run the app it should prompt (once only) for the credentials. It then makes a temporary connection and gets rid of it after you quit the app. I find it falls back to my home WiFi (or 4G) almost immediately.

Steve

Muddywheels said:
I had same problem - solved by changing settings to do not automatically connect to this network on phone

yeah, but for some reason, my LG G6 doesn't have this option. A UK version does, but not the HK version! no idea why!

I have an Android phone and use an app called Automate It. I have it set so that every time the phone connects to the car’s Bluetooth it turns off WiFi, which prevents the phone then connecting to the car’s WiFi and losing internet connectivity. When the phone disconnects from Bluetooth it then turns the WiFi back on again.

Works really well for me.

You shouldn't need to mess about like that. Just go to WiFi settings, select the car's access point ID, and choose Forget

Steve

geoffshep69 said:
I have an Android phone and use an app called Automate It. I have it set so that every time the phone connects to the car’s Bluetooth it turns off WiFi, which prevents the phone then connecting to the car’s WiFi and losing internet connectivity. When the phone disconnects from Bluetooth it then turns the WiFi back on again.

Works really well for me.
The same for me

Daff said:
You shouldn't need to mess about like that. Just go to WiFi settings, select the car's access point ID, and choose Forget

Steve

If you do that though, doesn't it mean that you cant then use the app to connect if you want to make changes to the timers ?

Although you are connecting via the app, the phone still needs to recognise the saved WiFi network ?

Yes, it works.

Notice the different instructions for iOS and Android in this page: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/outlander_phev/app/remote/jizen.html

On iOS you sign into the car's WiFi using the system WiFi Settings. But on Android you are not asked to do that - instead, enter them into the app the first time it runs. The app registers the access point and after that it selects that access point automatically when the app starts, and deselects it when the app stops. If you sign into it manually in the WiFi settings it won't be able to do that.

When I go into the phone's WiFi settings and look in the "Saved Networks" section, the entry for the car's access point says "Saved by Remote Ctrl". I think this is the key thing. If you signed into the network manually, it probably won't say that. So forget the network and re-run the app. It should prompt for the name & key again, and after that it should work automatically. Well, that worked for me. Disclaimer: I am on Android 6.0.1 on a Motorola phone. Not tested other devices/versions.

-- Steve

Time for a bump, I'm thinking.

I sat in a 100°F/38°C car again today trying to get my LG X-Charge with Android 7.1.1 to connect to the car's wifi router and failed. I did multiple rounds of purging access points, uninstalling the Remote Ctrl 2 program, multiple reboots and the phone simply will not connect. The only consistent error suggests it can't authenticate.

My old LG Volt 2, on the other hand, connected first try in less than 90 seconds from start to finish.

At least now I can run the AC from shore power so I don't burn into the leather seats...and it isn't even summer yet. :lol:

My MY16 car uses the PHEV App (as I only have the 10 digit password and a handbrake lever), but it will not connect using a Samsung S8 with Android 8, I have managed to connect to it using an old tablet (Android 6) with no issues. I have tried every combination of data on/off/ wifi on/off roaming on/off, connect to car first then app, and all other possibilities. On the Samsung the green bar at the bottom of the App does nothing and then it gives an error after a couple of minutes. In frustration I downloaded the PHEV 1 App to my Samsung (16 digit password and handbrake lever) the green bar will run all the way to end and give a configuration error that tells me to use the other App (because I am using 10 digits).

So how do I get a 16 digit password, can I change the original password to 16 digits or does the dealer have to do something?

Once again...

If you are nearby a "remembered" wifi connection, your Android device will switch to that connection midway through the training/connection process.

To prevent this from happening, you have to do that connection process away from your remembered wifi connections or "forget" that connection before you start the app for the first time.

This is why your connection attempt is getting half-way through and then failing.

AndyInOz said:
Once again...

If you are nearby a "remembered" wifi connection, your Android device will switch to that connection midway through the training/connection process.

To prevent this from happening, you have to do that connection process away from your remembered wifi connections or "forget" that connection before you start the app for the first time.

This is why your connection attempt is getting half-way through and then failing.
I can confirm that this was not the problem I had with my Android 7 phone. I completely purged (forgot) all wifi credentials prior to starting. I also turned off the settings to switch access points to stronger signals, etc. The Android 6 phone was connected within 30 seconds while the 7 phone never would connect.

Back