A few newbie questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emptying the 12 V battery can happen pretty easily, when not being aware what to do or what better not to do.

I did that once by playing music (and having one seat on "Heating") while mounting a 230 V socket for charging the car.
After something like 2 hours (?), the battery was empty.

What was the problem or how could this be avoided?
Pressing the "Start" button without having the foot on the brake paddle toggles through the positions 1-2-off-1-2-off etc...
While being on "1", the 12 V battery is not charged and can be emptied easily.
When being on "2", the 12 V battery is charged from the driving battery or the ICE.

I guess that many readers of the forum might not be aware of this detail.
Who reads a >500 pages handbook and remembers all details?

Harald

Harald said:
Emptying the 12 V battery can happen pretty easily, when not being aware what to do or what better not to do.

I did that once by playing music (and having one seat on "Heating") while mounting a 230 V socket for charging the car.
After something like 2 hours (?), the battery was empty.

What was the problem or how could this be avoided?
Pressing the "Start" button without having the foot on the brake paddle toggles through the positions 1-2-off-1-2-off etc...
While being on "1", the 12 V battery is not charged and can be emptied easily.
When being on "2", the 12 V battery is charged from the driving battery or the ICE.

I guess that many readers of the forum might not be aware of this detail.
Who reads a >500 pages handbook and remembers all details?

Harald

Sorry if this is obvious - if the vehicle is OFF when charging, I assume it is charging both batteries, correct?

Woodman411 said:
Sorry if this is obvious - if the vehicle is OFF when charging, I assume it is charging both batteries, correct?

No, when off (regardless of charging?) the 12v battery is charged once a day from the drive battery

robdickinson said:
Woodman411 said:

No, when off (regardless of charging?) the 12v battery is charged once a day from the drive battery

I went hunting for this information yesterday and it is only seems to be in a random forum post here and there. With the J1772 charger going, the 12V battery gets charged, at least on my 2018 Canadian model. I tested the voltage difference on the 12V posts under the hood yesterday as I'd run the 12V battery down while cleaning the vehicle, and couldn't find clear answers on under what circumstances the 12V battery charges up. This is with the 120V stock charger, too.

HTH.

kinetix said:
robdickinson said:
Woodman411 said:

I went hunting for this information yesterday and it is only seems to be in a random forum post here and there. With the J1772 charger going, the 12V battery gets charged, at least on my 2018 Canadian model. I tested the voltage difference on the 12V posts under the hood yesterday as I'd run the 12V battery down while cleaning the vehicle, and couldn't find clear answers on under what circumstances the 12V battery charges up. This is with the 120V stock charger, too.

HTH.
Indeed. The aux battery is charged whenever the car is 'alive' either for charging purposes or during normal operation. For cars equipped with an electric heater and (thus) REMOTExxxxxx WiFi, the aux battery is also charged once a day at 14:00. But this is to prevent it from draining when it is not used for a long time.

kinetix said:
robdickinson said:
Woodman411 said:

HTH.

Good to know, thanks for verifying.

kinetix said:
HTH.

Hi Kinetix,

when using the car's infrastructure in a standtstill situation for a while (like cleaning the car, doing a picknick, etc....), you will or will not drain the 12 V battery.

The difference is the setting on the Power Button.
Without pressing the brake pedal, the first press on the button brings you in status 1, second makes status 2, third shuts off.
Status 1 is draining the 12 V battery, Status 2 is charging the 12 V battery from the drive battery or even starting the ICE if needed.

Best regards, Harald

Harald said:
The difference is the setting on the Power Button.
Without pressing the brake pedal, the first press on the button brings you in status 1, second makes status 2, third shuts off.
Status 1 is draining the 12 V battery, Status 2 is charging the 12 V battery from the drive battery or even starting the ICE if needed.

Best regards, Harald

There must be some differences with your model than the Canadian model. My manual states on page 5-11 "If you press the power switch without pressing the brake pedal while the vehicle is stationary, you can change the operation mode in the order of OFF, ACC, ON, OFF. Caution: When the Plug-in Hybrid EV System is not operating, put the operation mode in OFF. Leaving the operation mode in ON or ACC for a long time when the Plug-in Hybrid EV System is not operating may cause the 12V starter battery to be discharged, making it impossible to start the Plug-in Hybrid EV System."

This is what I experienced and makes sense (to me)... without pressing the pedal, and turning the vehicle to ACC then ON, it shouldn't fire up the full hybrid system and/or ever risk the possibility of running the ICE. One should have to depress the pedal and put the system ON to get the Ready indicator, which suggests the drive battery and the ICE systems are ready and operational.

I had the system set to ON (Without the brake having been depressed) so I could operate the blower and the audio system. This depleted the 12V battery to the point after about 90 minutes where it shut the system off.

Back