Self locking?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvaghela

Hi. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere
On Sunday evening I went to collect something out of my 2016 phev. On Monday morning I found the car unlocked. I strongly think I forgot to lock it on Sunday evening.
Does the outlander not have a self locking mechanism if it detects the lack of activity in or around the car? It would seem sensible from security point if view. My other car did.

hvaghela said:
On Sunday evening I went to collect something out of my 2016 phev. On Monday morning I found the car unlocked. I strongly think I forgot to lock it on Sunday evening.
Does the outlander not have a self locking mechanism if it detects the lack of activity in or around the car? It would seem sensible from security point if view. My other car did.

There are some setting on the MMCS about the timer for automatic lock .. but ... I'm not sure how to set them up
Anyhow ... you can give a try

My PHEV ... does automatically lock when it is not needed .. for example ... I unlocking the car, but my "guests" wait too long before enter in the car .. and after 30 sec car get locked automatically ...

But ... after usage ...if I forget to lock the car .. the car stay open for ever

Not sure how this could be change in the MMCS setting

PS: Anyhow ... here nobody want to rubber my PHEV .. so it is a very safe car for me

PPS: As well ... nobody here want to take away the Aixam from my wife :mrgreen: ... I only need to take care of my weekend BMW , but it is getting older and older , so .. not much as risky as a 1 or 2 year old BMW (my "ex" BMW, when it was "young" , it got lost here in Poland years ago)

anko said:
Not sure. But even if it did, the function would probably have been cancelled by you opening a door the night before.

Quite right - the Outlander will relock the door a couple of minutes after it has been unlocked provided no door has been opened in the intervening time, but it will not lock a car following a period of inactivity - that is a recipe for getting your keys locked in!

hvaghela said:

I (strongly) reckon you must have forgotten to lock it on the Sunday evening. If you had inadvertently unlocked it again later (sat on the plipper when in the house for instance) after you'd locked it, after 30 seconds if none of the doors or the tailgate were opened, it would have locked itself again. Actually I find it's not that easy to inadvertently operate the plipper on the PHEV. Not compared to my Smart car which will open itself from about 50 metres if I have the key in my pocket. But that also locks itself again if the doors or tailgate are not opened.

As I don't currently enjoy the luxury of a garage at the moment, I always look out of the window before I go to bed to check if the mirrors are in the folded position which means it's locked.

NightPHEVer said:
hvaghela said:

I (strongly) reckon you must have forgotten to lock it on the Sunday evening. If you had inadvertently unlocked it again later (sat on the plipper when in the house for instance) after you'd locked it, after 30 seconds if none of the doors or the tailgate were opened, it would have locked itself again. Actually I find it's not that easy to inadvertently operate the plipper on the PHEV. Not compared to my Smart car which will open itself from about 50 metres if I have the key in my pocket. But that also locks itself again if the doors or tailgate are not opened.

As I don't currently enjoy the luxury of a garage at the moment, I always look out of the window before I go to bed to check if the mirrors are in the folded position which means it's locked.

I completely agree I forgot to lock it afterwards. I would have thought a period of inactivity and no detection from the key should result in the car locking it self.

maby said:
anko said:
Not sure. But even if it did, the function would probably have been cancelled by you opening a door the night before.

Quite right - the Outlander will relock the door a couple of minutes after it has been unlocked provided no door has been opened in the intervening time, but it will not lock a car following a period of inactivity - that is a recipe for getting your keys locked in!

The Outlander PHEV is quite good on detecting if the key is inside the car and to prevent to lock the key inside the car

I would expect that after 30 seconds / 1 minute of inactivity, if the car is left open without the key inside, it should lock automatically .. like most of other car do

I would expect that after 30 seconds / 1 minute of inactivity, if the car is left open without the key inside, it should lock automatically .. like most of other car do

I agree BUT it doesn't, at least not in mine. If it does in others than I need to find out why - something in the settings?

hvaghela said:

I agree BUT it doesn't, at least not in mine. If it does in others than I need to find out why - something in the settings?

I don't think any Outlander has this functionality - no car I've ever owned or driven has - sorry.

A strange thing recently happen to my PHEV

After driven for 20 minutes ... I left my car "on" for keep running the AC, and I exit from my car, taking the key with me ...
By the time I open the gate, so 20 second later, I find out that the car did lock automatically

Furthermore ... the car did nor react to the open the doors by pressing the button in the car key, as well the little button on the car door was not working either ... so I find myself locked out.

I have to say I did forgot there is the physical key in the PHEV keyfob ... but "luckily" .. I had a passenger on the back sit (the reason why I did left the car on with AC running) ... which he did open for me the back door, and from the back sit I manage to open the front door.

Quite strange indeed

If I would not had a passenger left in the car, or the physical key ... I would have find myself in "trouble"

Our 2015 Zoe locks itself automatically if you move out of its detection range with the key. It is slightly annoying as the plug at the front is out of detection range, so it will lock itself when you plug it in before you get stuff out of the boot. It double-beeps when it locks itself, so you always know it's done it. You can then unlock it either with the key or the button on the door handle. If you lock it via the fob, the door buttons don't work.

There have been cases where people have found their car locking with keys in the car, but it is often when the key signal is affected by a mobile phone near the keyfob.

Back