Jump start

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phev1

Is it ok to jump start another car with the phev using the correct connecting points under the bonnet
Regards
Chris

For sure not OK from the contacts under the bonnet.
Jump starting a standard combustion engine needs high electric currents which I woul not like to see on this contact.

If I had to do so, I would do it directly from the (rel. small) battery.

The 12v battery from our PHEV should be:
Yuasa S46B24L(S) - 45Ah CCA - 325A

With a 325A max power, I would not recommend to use for jump start a diesel car

Ideally this the cabling should stick straight to the battery terminal .. which are not really accessible on the PHEV .. only the NEG terminal is exposed .. the PLUS .. is under the cover of the trunk

ThudnBlundr said:
Is there an alternator at all on the PHEV, or is the 12V always charged from the traction battery? I was wondering if forcing the ICE to start might help...
there is not. Although, there is a generator that will recharge the main battery while you are jump starting. But the main battery is not the issue.

Seriously, don't do this.

Instead, buy a portable lithium jump start battery and keep it charged in your car.

Other PHEV owners have done this because other people don't/refuse to/won't understand that we don't have the kind of battery in the car that can perform jump starts.

If you kill your tiny 12v battery, your car is dead in the water, you can't fire up the electronics and you can't make it go.

It was my son's 600cc motorcycle .we jumped it for a couple of seconds .I was worried that I might have done some damage although it seems ok .
Regards

Back