Extension cable?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brumgav said:
Thanks for all the replies.

How do I ensure the socket is up to the job? This reference to 10Amps?

I would be using a socket in the kitchen that is a double socket but nothing connected to it

Stock PHEV charger is a 10Amp or 2200w power .. which is not much different then some normal home heavy equipment

A simple rule is to check if the connector does not get hot after 30min of usage (so 30min with 2200w load)

I'm using since almost 2 years a garden power cable extender without any issue .. stock charger does not even need to have 3 connections (N,L and Ground) .. since the connection to the ground is not needed (with a different charger , it may be needed, but not on stock 10A charger)

Oh great thank you.

Sounds like it compares to a 2KW heater that I plug in during the winter, we’ll a few of them last winter.

Thanks again

Interesting

The US charger is looking to have the option to work with 8A or 12A .. still 12A @ 120V is still way slower then the EU PHEV charger which works only at 10A and 220v

Also interesting the advise to don't use extension cables ... there is no technical reason for avoid usage of extension cables ... I guess the manual just want to drop the responsibility of the "owner" in case something goes wrong .. since there are lot of possible extension cables and lot of possible plugs used on these ... but if the extension cable is rated for over 10A (and it is something well build, like the many created for garden usage) then there is no risk at all.

elm70 said:
... but if the extension cable is rated for over 10A (and it is something well build, like the many created for garden usage) then there is no risk at all.
I never found a "well built" extension cable in the US because they alway had the US socket and plug... ;)
(Sorry for being blunt.)

The US standard for these electric connections is unfortunately much weaker than in the UK, Europe, Asia.
I often was happy if the plug did not fall out of the socket just by the weight of the cable...

It will work of course in most cases, but "no risk at all" is imho too optimistic and might be based on experience with EU cable connections.

Back