Reverse Sensors not as expected

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noxid1969

Just had a towbar fitted, towsure item with vehicle specific wiring to ensure the warranty was not affected by cutting and splicing. The man fitting it on the handover said all good but the car will not turn off the reversing sensors with a trailer as your sensors are after market and not integrated. The car is a MY2016 3h+ and the sensors are part of the spec, so do Mitsubishi fit the sensors aftermarket to this model when it arrives in the UK? Any one else had this issue and should I be speaking to Mitsubishi about this as if I select reverse it is going to detect the trailer and I am going to get another PHEV Beep!

I would say that the problem is not so much that the sensors might be aftermarket, but that the tow bar and fittings are.

I think they might have used a model intended for cars with a rear camera instead of sensors.
It should have been one that is reverse-engineered for your model Mitsubishi, should those exist. Otherwise you should have an original bar fitted.
You should be able to switch them off manually, though.

The towbar and electrics are the same ones that the dealers fit for MY2016 car, the reversing sensors do not connect to the Can Bus but are fitted standalone, I know I can switch them off when towing but thought it strange that this was the spec of the car as supplied by Mitsubishi.

Not really surprising, I think it is standard procedure for Mitsubishi to have some accessories fitted locally as model specifications vary per country, and obviously many parts are supplied by third parties in general. For instance the sunroof (although a factory fit) is supplied by Webasto. A car factory nowadays is a bit of an assembly plant with the units sourced world-wide.

They're definitely fitted aftermarket on the 3h+, another downside being how quiet they are (as the beeper is fitted behind soundproofing.....)!

When I had my tow-bar fitted, I was given the option of a fitting which disabled the reversing sensors while the cable was plugged in for a trailer.

I didn't take that option, because I have a switch on the dashboard which turns off the reversing sensors.

Big mistake.

Reversing the trailer is very annoying, because you have to turn off the sensors *EVERY* time you go back into reverse. My driveway has a number of choke points which require extra backing and filling. :(

Back