Electric Motor Mount Issue

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilf

I have just had my car returned from the garage (following recall for spark plugs) and issue with drive train. They are saying there is a problem with the electric motor engine mounts which is causing slack in the drive train resulting in a thump every time I pull away.

:shock: Being told this is a common problem and the replacement parts are on back order. I cannot see any other posts about this - sorry if there are. Any info gratefully received.

This is a 64 plate having done 72,000 miles.

Are you speaking of the electric motor in the axles ?

Are both problematic ? Or only the one in the rear or front axle ?

Or this is about the electric motor / generator connected to the ICE ?

I thought the traction electric motor are embedded in the axles, without any real "mount" ... since they should be integrated with the differential and axle arms ...

PS: My PHEV has 130.000 km ... and I don't have any "thump" .. so not sure it is so common, or at least I hope it is not .. it sound quite some labour work for fix your issue.

Hmmmm i do have some thumps already at 25k
I will check if this starts to happen more often.

Now confirmed rear electric motor mounts degraded.
Not under warranty as part of the EV drive train mileage limited to 62,500 miles
If you have a Phev which has done 60,000 miles get it checked out.
No courtesy car as out of warranty ....terrible to drive due to the thump every time you pull away.
Deemed to be a common fault as parts on back order until January.
Very unhelpful so far at both dealers and Cirencester Head office.
Everyone needs to be aware of this issue.
Not sure how to raise profile of this issue on the forum.

Is this the rear motor mount strap? I didn’t have any thumping but corrosion was picked up on my 4th service 46k miles. I paid for the replacement - think it was maybe £60 fitted, maybe less. No great shakes.
H

Car of March 2015... done 82000 miles so far...
1-No Thumps
2-no noticeable battery degradation. still doing 26 -28 miles on EV on average ( in the hot summer I was getting 30 miles)
3-Had only 3 services with Mitsubishi at 12500, 25000 and 37500 miles. Never since, as they are charging £299 per service. all subsequent services are with the local mechanic..costing £60. oil and filter change, air filters and other things
4- rear tyres , the originals still looking good at 82000 miles ( well.... need replacing in another 2000 miles, looking at imperial Eco sport tyres this time ) )
5- front tyres changed at 43000 miles and 74000 miles Sailun terramax SUV. at £ 57 each from oponeo ( www.oponeo.co.uk ) local tyre fitter charge £ 10 for fitting, balance and new valves.
6- no noticable change in milage on EV with sailun tyres ( I would not pay £120 for each toyo R 37 just because Mitsubishi says so)

When all goes wrong with the EV thing in few years time, there is always plan B, convert it to LPG

Best wishes

Hi,

I have just had my rear thump noise looked at. Confirmed rear elect motor/ diff mounts (apparently there are 2 rear mounts and 1 front). My front is completely shot, and the rears aren't great.\
I have been quoted $375AUD for the front and $650 for the other side of the diff.

Seems a common fail point, and the new models have new mounts (coincidence??)

Wonder if Mitsubishi will come to the party with these at all?

My car has only done 110 000Km, or 68 000 miles, so is out of waranty. Warranty ends at 100 000km here :(
But the mounts should last longer than 4 years / 100 000km

Cheers

Just been quoted $375 per mount (x3) to replace with the updated mounts. (looked under neath, the main one that causes the thump is very easy to replace). Quoted $185 for the rubber mount by itself!

So I'm guessing a $5 part and 15 mins labour = $375

Anyone know a good place to source parts?

The mount that fails is part number 3517A090

Hi there, I have had this problem for some time but the thump sound is now getting more and more prominent so I took it into my local main dealer for a checkup where they confirmed that it was a rear motor mount.
Same ol story about the part being on a backing order as well but they treated it as a "first time them coming across this" type of thing.
They told me that the part would cost €120 plus VAT and it would take about 2 hours to fit so €350 all in.
It may not be fair to the dealer who is actually very nice but I might go down the route of an independent car mechanic whose hourly labour rate is much less than the boys at the main dealer to bring costs down here.

Luger54 said:
I might go down the route of an independent car mechanic whose hourly labour rate is much less than the boys at the main dealer to bring costs down here.
I'd be very uneasy about someone working on the electric drive who hadn't had manufacturer's training on the safety aspects. Getting between a battery capable of delivering 60kW and the earth could ruin your entire day.

ChrisMiller said:
Luger54 said:
I might go down the route of an independent car mechanic whose hourly labour rate is much less than the boys at the main dealer to bring costs down here.
I'd be very uneasy about someone working on the electric drive who hadn't had manufacturer's training on the safety aspects. Getting between a battery capable of delivering 60kW and the earth could ruin your entire day.

Couldn't agree with you more Chris. I don't know much about cars but according to my research, replacing the engine mounts does not require any disassembly of the hybrid drivetrain or any of its major components so a well trained mechanic must be able to deal with something like that. I stand corrected in case I am wrong of course.

Can anyone describe the symptoms of this a bit more as I'm not sure I have this or not. I wasnt aware of anything pulling away from a standing start but when I stop, put the handbrake on and put in park the car lurches forward a bit each time, is this the same thing or just the electric motors kicking in?

Chris

Luger54 said:
Hi there, I have had this problem for some time but the thump sound is now getting more and more prominent so I took it into my local main dealer for a checkup where they confirmed that it was a rear motor mount.
Same ol story about the part being on a backing order as well but they treated it as a "first time them coming across this" type of thing.
They told me that the part would cost €120 plus VAT and it would take about 2 hours to fit so €350 all in.
It may not be fair to the dealer who is actually very nice but I might go down the route of an independent car mechanic whose hourly labour rate is much less than the boys at the main dealer to bring costs down here.
As said, I paid 234 Euro.. So an independent might charge 20 Euro an hour less, bringing the bill down by a staggering 40 Euro - Spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar IMO.

Back