Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Charging cable fault - Mitsubishi not honouring warranty
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 am 

'Our'(Dutch) plugs are far less complex. No fuse, no temperature sensors. Far less chance of internal issues. Maybe my (fortunately humble) opinion doesn't apply to UK plugs ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm 

jamiewakeham wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.

It's a good (£25) socket from MK; I guess they are not immune to manufacturing errors, though. I've just run the charger for ten minutes; plug became noticeably warm. I then ran a 2000w heater for the same time; this was significantly less warm.

The fuse is still working, but getting it out of the plug took pliers. Some of the internal plastic has melted onto the fuse.

These two facts rather point to the problem being a crappy connection within the plug, don't they? And thinking about it, I've noticed it being warm when plugged into other people's sockets too.

What to do now? My contract is with an independant lease firm, not direct with Mitsubishi. I can easily go and raise merry hell with my local dealer, but really they've done nothing wrong - they've just diagnosed the problem and told me that Mitsubishi UK decline to pay for fixing it. The lease firm and the supplying dealer are both hundreds of miles away.

Part of me wants to take this back to Mitsubishi because I think they are behaving really badly here - go to trading standards, social media, etc. But actually I just want an easy life, and I already have one small claims court case with a car dealer (that's another story) ongoing. Ironically I chose to lease this time precisely because I was sick of the aggro of buying and selling...

I think I'm going to write to the lease company and explain that there is a fault, that MUK have refused to have anything to do with it, and that from a legal point of view my next move should be to ask them to rectify it. And then offer to fix the issue myself, subject to their agreeing not to kick up any fuss at hand-over time. If a new plug still gets worryingly warm I'll replace the socket.
That sounds very sensible. The alternative is surely to simply replace the plug and let sleeping dogs lie. I doubt very much whether anybody from the lease firm would notice or care.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:49 am 

And even if the lease company did complain then you can always threaten them with the Health & Safety at Work Act - makes individual employees personally liable. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:43 am 

So. My lease company were perfectly happy for me to replace the plug myself. I've just given the car a full charge, and it is barely warm - the old one would have been really quite hot by the end of the process.

It is utterly clear to me that the original plug has been faulty right from day one.

Mitsubishi have given their dealer network a photo of a plug that looked just like mine and explicitly stated that this is not a warranty issue, and the only action the dealer can take is to order a replacement cable. I'm going to have a bit of a chat with them about this now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:27 pm 

jamiewakeham wrote:
... I think I'm going to ...

If I were on your place and have this topic, I would not worry about all legeal aspects and simply do the technical repair as needed.