EV system service required,Stop safely,RBS service required

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superflan

Hi,

Before talking about the problem I'm having with our "new" MY'17 Outlander PHEV, I'm gonna introduce myself (and our PHEV) since I'm new here (been browsing since 2 weeks ago).

First, please apologize if my English sounds strange sometimes, I'm french and I might make some mistakes. My wife wanted to replace her MY2013 Renault Koleos Bose Edition with something new. After 1 week looking around, we got a great deal on a MY2017 Outlander PHEV demo car, with barely 9000km (5600mi) on it, and 1 year old registration. Mint cosmetic condition, drives great, no visible problem. Plus, it was at the Mitsubishi local dealer, so we've gone for it. The order was signed on May 25th. The vendor was in a hurry to deliver the vehicle because the end of month was coming, but we took some time to find the best financing option (it's a professional use lease, she's a visiting nurse) because the goal is to trade the car around 2 years later and so on.

On Thursday, July 6th, the vehicle was delivered. First, they forgot to plan the annual service that they said would be done before delivery, so we've booked on the 18th to do it. Plus, the battery wasn't charged, I was a little disappointed by this. The day the order was signed the battery wasn't charged neither. Well, we've traded the old car, took the new, called insurance and went on the road. First, stopped for lunch after a 15 minute drive, it went fine. Then, went home, 30+ minutes drive, well, went fine. Parked, plugged the 10A (2,3kw) supplied charger to try, car charging, went OK.

Here comes the problems. 1 hour later, I stop the charge using the "manual stop" button on the charger, unplug the car (barely 20% charge), and go for a drive to pickup our son at daycare. I go full EV mode, and after leaving home there's 3km flat (yet twisty) and then 4 kilometers downhill (twisty too) before reaching highway, so I've put in B mode, and was switching between B3 and B5 mode. Then, after 2km downhill, when taking a turn, regen braking suddenly ceased (surprise), and "EV System service required, stop safely" appeared on the instrument cluster. Then, RBS service required was alternating on the display with the former alert. The orange car with an exclamation mark, along with the orange RBS light was steady on.

So, I've pulled on the side to stop, switch the car off, look around, breathe, switch on the car (normal mode) and drive away. After maybe 20 meters, the warnings came again. Well, I had to pickup my son, so I was like "whatever, no red "stop" warning, I'll go on". And I drove. Till I reached highway, saw that there was no power, I was taking 60km/h (35mph) at most and the ICE wasn't starting. Remember, I was low on battery so I realised I wasn't going to make it to destination. I pulled to the side and called dealer to book a courtesy car, and assistance to be towed to dealer.

After 15 minutes on phone, I started vehicle back to have some AC/power windows and see if the warning magically disappeared. And yes, they disappeared. So, I tried to drive, and after 2km I called assistance to cancel towing, went to pickup my son with the car, called the dealer to tell I'll come on the next morning after dropping my son to the daycare. The rest of the day drives went OK, I even make it home, charged the car at maybe 75%, and went to a drive before sleeping, to see if EV will defeat again. Nothing happened, car drove seamlessly. EV, Save, Charge, WOT, everything worked flawlessly. Went home, plugged the car, went to bed.

The next morning, unplug (100% charge), go to daycare, go to dealer, drop the car to the dealer so he'll have a look at it and do the annual service. On top of that, I mention that there's a glitch on the carplay head unit, I can't disable the auto reset of the driving statistics (EV%, fuel consumption, electric consumption). I'll make a topic about it when I'll get the car back (if I ever will).
On the end of the day, dealer called me to say that they've maybe found a bad seal on a electric motor and it will be replaced on next Monday.

Today (Tuesday), dealer called to tell even if they took it for a 1 hour test drive on monday, that when he took the car from the garage to the parking so I can come to pick it up, the alerts came back. Now looking forward. Wife's driving the courtesy car at work (Suzuki Vitara 1.6 GDI 6AT), and starts to be impatient about getting her new car back.

Any thoughts ? I'll update thread as the story goes.

It sounds like corrupted firmware. Your dealer possibly needs to hook the car into the central service unit in Tokyo. It happened to me when I had a weird failure; the factory found some corrupted scripts in the software, reloaded the firmware and the problem never reappeared.

jaapv said:
It sounds like corrupted firmware. Your dealer possibly needs to hook the car into the central service unit in Tokyo. It happened to me when I had a weird failure; the factory found some corrupted scripts in the software, reloaded the firmware and the problem never reappeared.

Interesting ! I just made a run at the dealer to meet the service manager who supervised the case. I wanted to know the stored DTC but I still haven’t got an eye on it. They told me it wasn’t a specific code, more something like a general EV system malfunction.

He also told me that after this morning failure they’ done a BMS reset and the fault disappeared immediately, then he drove it to lunch and that he’ll keep it till the end of week so if it fail, it’s with him, not us. I agreed that if it goes well, I’ll come on Monday to get the car back and return the Vitara, since the workweek of my wife will be over.

I think I understood the seal replaced was the one to drive battery access panel.

Service rep called this afternoon to tell he’ll stop extensive test driving because the vehicle now works normally, and I can come pick it up.

I asked if the fixed the auto-reset deactivation problem. He had no clue. I told him how to check and that I’ll come on Monday to pick up car if this feature is fixed or a backorder for a fix made.

Maybe I’m PITA for them at the dealer but I just want a vehicle that works as expected

This is exactly what happened on my first PHEV test drive (we didn't buy that car) I assume the issue related to the spark plug recall as the Ice did not kick in and the car got slower and slower. We were not impressed with the dealer and shopped elsewhere. The aux battery was also dead at the beginning of the drive so needed jump starting. Ask about spark plug recall and get the aux battery tested.

Steve

Hi, some feedback.

I collected the fixed vehicle on Monday. Seems fixed, dealer EV tech said that he found one drive battery terminal dirty, cleaned it.

We then made almost 1000 kilometers so far, everything’s working great. Amazing EV range for an hybrid.

As for the auto-reset thing, it’s a feature. Once toggled one time, it initializes another set of permanent data, that you can display everytime you toggle the button.

My PHEV give me also RBS service required when I start in the morning. I used car in slim mode (low acceleration) and drove to dealer about 5 minutes from my home. Drop the car for diagnostic and repair. No more courtesy car! Came back to my house on foot and used a spare car (SMART) to go to work. In the afternoon advisor call me to say car is ready. I pick-up this one at the end of day and advisor didn't found any trouble. Did a reset, check all computer, road test OK. DTC was written on worksheet. DTC U0141 was follow with U0293, P0AA7 and P0AA9. I thinks ETACS received time out from A/C ECU on network BUS... I ask if this trouble was know and if this one will be back in future !!! Answer was, It's first time and we don't know if this issue came back. I did 600 km from this day and no more RBS.

Outside wheather was good, 25 Celcius with clear sky, Drive battery was full and I was disconnect charging cable a day before issue.

Well I'm not sure for future...

Hi,

We also are experiencing the exact same issue. Charging interrupted. EV - ACC - RBS service required.

Went to the dealer last friday. They diagnosed a leaking AC Condenser, was replaced, two days back, same issues again. To the dealer again, they say they reset everything and all looks fine now.

Now a day later we are stranded on the highway waiting for the tow-truck to tow it back to the dealer.

My PHEV is from 2013, we own it now for two years, never had issues like this (except for the wifi module not working great)

I’m hoping that hey can find the issue asap as the repairs so far were expensive without the actual fix.

I’ll post an update when diagnosed properly.

Hi,

I’m the OP and I’m having the same issue again, at 17600km.

Stay tuned, I’ll try to make a good handling of that issue happen (and report the DTCs).

I try iOBD2 Wi-Fi adapter and check engine goes on after turn ignition on. DTC was U0100 Lost of communication with ECM and 2 message appear on dash; EV service required and Motor Overheat (car was cold). Then I used and other OBD2 adapter (OBD2 link MX Bluetooth) and used OBDlink apps for reset DTC. Check engine goes off after turn ignition off then on.

Well... EVbatmon apps give iOBD2 Wi-Fi adapter like compatible with PHEV. I thinks something is wrong about CAN network or ECM. There is a new version of software in PHEV 2018 for North America ?

To follow...

My car is still at the dealer, they are now waiting for Mitsubishi to accept the replacement of some cells (as I understood) as part of warranty. I’m pissed off.

Got the same problem this morning with my 15 plate GX4h - the signs come up, I leave the car be for an hour or so, turn it on again and its fine - happened twice now... the earliest appointment I could get with Mitsubishi is for the 7th December

Well, I got this error last week as well. It seem to happen after the car was in accessory mode, then started (foot on the brake). Got 'pull over safely', and RBS errors, and yellow triangle. All this while 1200km from home, of course...

Not sure if related, but I had done a short charge on L3 on my drive the day before - we were driving from Ontario to NB, and there was one at a gas station on the way. Plugged in for only a few minutes just 'for fun'.

When I got the error, I plugged in for about 2 hrs (L1), and started up - no error, but CEL on, and no range showing for battery or gas.

Plugged in overnight, full charge, and the error was gone. Has not come back. I tried L3 on the way back home with no issues.

I have an appointment for winter tires on Wednesday, so I'll get them to see if there are any errors in memory that may help. It seem like a software issue triggered by certain sequences (L3, acc mode, on/off, ?), but who knows. I've already had one module replaced, which if the invoice is to be believed costs Mitsu >$8000.

J

OK so, I'm the OP, and.......... the car is still at the dealer :roll:

They wanted me to come in yesterday to show me damages under the vehicle (that for them I supposedly done) on the battery pack and therefore announce me that the repair will not be covered by Mitsubishi's warranty.

I tried to take pictures under the hoist but I barely managed to do it properly, given the fact that I was properly stumped by what was said. Anyway, pics :

oLKv9Ph.jpg

Front half

cfGZLUr.jpg

Back half

mVuQY4R.jpg

Close

8HgRCwl.jpg

Closer (seems like a prior repair)

514fCoG.jpg

Closer

You can see multiple damages on battery pack, but there's one that clearly have been there and repaired (with epoxy or something ?) before I bought the vehicle, and the dealer claims that it doesn't know where this came from. I don't have any paperwork about the issue yet, but they told they'll quote the replacement of the entire battery pack because chemical damages inside etc. (I call this bullshit, I think that even in case of crash, the battery pack would be opened, cells inspected and tested individually, and bad cells replaced, but who am I to teach Mitsubishi how to do their work ?)

So, there am I, probably going into a lawsuit to cancel the purchase because after all I bought a lemon that was broken on the delivery day, not because I damaged the battery pack while driving. Wife clearly doesn't want the car repaired because trust have been lost and it's her work vehicle, she drives all day long in it and can't take the risk of a random repair anymore. In the meanwhile, dealer may be claiming the vehicle (Skoda Kodiaq) they lended us while waiting for the repair, leaving us with a car missing (well, I've got some crap cars that can work while waiting for things to settle).

Superflan said:
MY2017 Outlander PHEV demo car, with barely 9000km (5600mi) on it, and 1 year old registration. Mint cosmetic condition, drives great, no visible problem. Plus, it was at the Mitsubishi local dealer, so we've gone for it.

Superflan said:
You can see multiple damages on battery pack, but there's one that clearly have been there and repaired (with epoxy or something ?) before I bought the vehicle, and the dealer claims that it doesn't know where this came from.

Something doesn't add up. If the dealer sold you a demo with a battery pack which was fixed by epoxy, then either the dealership know about the repair, or one of the dealership staff who drove it home at the weekends does (and has not admitted it to the dealership). Also, just because quite rightfully Mitsubishi won't cover the damage, it does not automatically mean the dealership should not cover the cost of repairs, which is clearly what should happen in this case.

I would think you have a very clear case considering faults started so soon after delivery. Do you have a motor vehicle ombudsman where you live that can act on your behalf? Might save stress and legal fees.

zzcoopej said:
Something doesn't add up. If the dealer sold you a demo with a battery pack which was fixed by epoxy, then either the dealership know about the repair, or one of the dealership staff who drove it home at the weekends does (and has not admitted it to the dealership). Also, just because quite rightfully Mitsubishi won't cover the damage, it does not automatically mean the dealership should not cover the cost of repairs, which is clearly what should happen in this case.
I think it might be something like this.

zzcoopej said:
I would think you have a very clear case considering faults started so soon after delivery. Do you have a motor vehicle ombudsman where you live that can act on your behalf? Might save stress and legal fees.
I have a legal insurance option included in the automobile insurance coverage. I'm already in touch with them, I'm just waiting for the dealership to write the warranty denial statement to make things happen. I called the legal department of the dealership today (just before writing this update), spent 45 minutes on phone about the issue. They are clear about the fact that they think it's not their fault, and they want to get back the vehicle they lended while waiting for the diagnosis.

To Johnache,

I thinks also it's like a sequence alinea of CAN network and communication between CPU controller.

Today I went to dealer for winter tire and they advise me about an upgrade software C1809R ASC - ECU FUNCTION SOFTWARE UPDATE. They take half an hour to do this update. I don't known which trouble this update corrected.

Now I got 11,000 km and I will check if something wrong appends again. I will update this thread again.

Back