Puny Horn.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladevane

I 'm not a fan of blowing the horn at every slight misdemeanour but had cause to use it twice today to let other road users know I was displeased with their thoughtless actions. What a puny sound. I was embarrassed to listen to it so I imagine the offenders were laughing up their exhaust pipes. Do other users share my opinion and has anyone done anything about getting a more robust sounding horn?

I was thinking of fitting this:

Its range is ten miles (nautical) :lol:

Tg2GqXp.jpg

I find I don't use my horn so much these days, I always think of the driving mistakes I've made in the past, so try and forgive THE ANTI SOCIAL AND AGGRESSIVE STUPIDITY (doesn't always work) of others. I'm still trying to forgive myself for an ill considered overtaking manoeuvre I performed around 25 years ago (hidden dip in the road) where I nearly caused a head on collision. I was late for a dentist appointment - I don't even like going to the dentist. I did have a 5-series BMW at the time though, which even today can still be a cause of unnecessarily aggressive driver behavior. Although usually more likely to be an Audi these days.

Perhaps the idea of the none-too-aggressive PHEV horn is to be politically correct so as to not potentially frighten anybody too much as a result of its application. I generally only use it to alert texting drivers in front of me that the lights have just changed. Especially important where I live as the traffic light system in Inverness takes some getting used to. Red lights and green lights at the same time and surprise pedestrian crossings just after roundabouts.

I guess the thing to do is to locate the actual horn and swap it for a louder one (from a breakers - although you'd have to know the item you were swapping it for was in fact not just as puny than the PHEV version). I have often done this to cars I've had in the past so I reckon it could still be done these days. Can you still buy air horns? I hope not.

I haven't gotten around to fitting them, but I have used these on other cars. A clear improvement over factory-fitted horns, but not OTT.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/horns-and-fanfares/fanfare-horns

Puny or not, it did the job for about a mile of continuous sounding at the French oaf who, after tail-gating me for several miles at 85mph on a French autoroute (no opportunity to move over nor any space in front of me) "tried" to side-swipe me before cutting in and slamming on his brakes, when I did let him pass :twisted:

Trying to provoke road rage, were you? ;)
Let such idiots create their own accident, no need to get yourself involved in it. Besides, it will be you heart attack, not his, if you get all worked up.

Puny horns are de rigeur on Japanese cars. I have owned 11 Jap cars of various makes and they all had pathetic tooters.
I was so disgusted on my 65 PHEV ( a car costing the amount a PHEV does should have a decent horn)
I searched high and low and although I could hear the horn I could not find out exactly where it is. So I decided that to replace it would be too difficult. Regretfully I gave up.
If anyone out there DOES know how to get at these pathetic little 'parp-parps......PLEASE put details her. Thanks.

If the front of the PHEV needs to come off to access the horns - which it looks as though it does - then that's easier said than done. If you look on the 'rust' post (page 5 General Forum) there's a link to a manual that shows removal of the front end. Not sure about the potential existance of air bag sensors anywhere in the front 'bumper' area and what significance that may have if removing the front end. Possibly none but I'm not sure.

Maybe it's possible to just remove the wires to the horns and position a new horn somewhere else inside the bonnet area?

I bought a double flute horn and install them over the left front shock. Very loud. I use a separate 12 volt LiPo battery, 6 cells, 3 pairs in series. The blower is near the coolant filling cap. The LiPo is close to the fuse box and I can use it to boost the system if the 12 volt lead battery is down.
My problem now is to find a place to run 2 wires to the switch located on the left hand side of the steering, on the removable plastic cover giving access to another fuse block.
If someone already punched a hole thru the firewall for an accessory, I appreciate to learn where.

NightPhever could you keep us posted as to any progress on the horn situation please as i have actually got a new horn ready to go on ! After i watched a YouTube video of the horn being just behind the badge i thought a non mechanical minded person like me could manage it . Surprise surprise it wasn't there but lots of space for a new one ! so i will have to go a different route maybe just extend the original wires thanks and happy tooting

Back