Forward Collision Mitigation false triggers

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greendwarf said:
jaapv said:
Yes, but it won't function when the lines are faded, or criss-crossing the road after roadworks messed things up, etc. So even the Opel probably does not integrate the FCM with the LDW.
Volvo shivers your pants, I believe. At least the part of your behind that is nearest to the line crossed. :D.

As the Opel system actually adjusts the steering direction I wonder what happens if the lines suddenly disappear mid-correction or when you are trying to change lanes? :eek:
The SES (Somersault Enhancement System) will kick in.

I'm fascinated that, with the advent of, 'driverless' cars, and automated lane following...

... we may be reaching a time where Road Runner/Coyote style exploits may actually result in cars going off the road.

(Imagine, if you will, what happens when someone repaints the centreline at a blind curve, on the edge of a cliff.)

Driving in very heavy rain and spray yesterday, the car flashed up a couple of warnings about FCMS and ACC being unavailable. Once the rain lessened, they were available again. I hadn't realised that (torrential) rain affected them. I'd set FCMS to Long and had been using ACC set at 60mph as a sort of safety buffer, partly to mitigate the idiots speeding past blindly into a wall of spray.

Tomorrow I am testing drive a MY2018 GT trim in Los Angeles. It is a burgundy color.

It has the moonroof my wife like, the 1500W inverter that I like and the FCM for the safety of my teen driver.

How can I test the FCM is working? This car has a brake disc redone in less than 40k miles. Very suspicious…

Tai

I'd suggest that if you think someone needs such a system they should get further training.

If you want to test it, pile up a wall of carboard boxes and drive towards it.

I have been rear ended 4 times in high way speed, the last 3 in these 4 years. The insurance may qualify me as dangerous driver soon…

I just hope my teen daughter gets some extra help to stop the car, and of course, NOT use the cellphone when drive!

Good idea about the card boxes! I will do it in the dealer patio. It will be fun to watch :)

IIRC, the FCM only is active around 30mph. Is there any indication when it is activated?

Tai

I've had it activate a couple of times, and there was an audible alert and a message in the centre of the dashboard.

Also ABS was triggered and there was a sensation of the brake pedal retreating under my foot.

(On that occasion, the system triggered just before I hit the brake pedal)

Thank you.

I couldn’t dare to get the car close enough to test FCM. At end, doesn’t matter. The main battery was so tired (7miles) after full charge that I walked out of deal without test it with cardboard boxes. Next time…

Tai

ThudnBlundr said:
Driving in very heavy rain and spray yesterday, the car flashed up a couple of warnings about FCMS and ACC being unavailable. Once the rain lessened, they were available again. I hadn't realised that (torrential) rain affected them. I'd set FCMS to Long and had been using ACC set at 60mph as a sort of safety buffer, partly to mitigate the idiots speeding past blindly into a wall of spray.

I've had the same experience in heavy rain. I suspect the threshold is more cautious than other manufacturers or due to the reduced stop ability of an ~1800kg SUV.
Similar conditions in German car brands not so sensitive in my experience, however, I'd prefer it made me take over if the AI is out of it's depth than make me think I was safe when I actually wasn't.

I believe that the FCM uses the camera on the windscreen (in front of the mirror) if the rain is heavy enough, the windscreen wipers can't keep the view clear enough for it to operate.

So... I'm guessing that you're already driving slower because of this heavy rain, this is just an extra reminder to be very careful.

NB. I've been advised here the FCM uses the parking sensors in the front fascia of the car, and I'm almost certain that advice is incorrect.

Back