MY2019 Outlander PHEV 2.4 4H - My Test Drive Weekend.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrPastry said:
Having owned Landrover Defenders with mud terrain tyres for many years, I wasn't sure what to expect from the Phev in snow.
I found the Phev quite sure footed in the snow with winter tyres but because it has no more ground clearance than other small cars, it couldn't cope with much depth & frequently ground to a halt.

I probably wouldn't try to drive the Phev in snow with the standard Toyo's. Winter tyres make a huge difference. Worth every penny. :D

More here:

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3553&start=10

I think the 2019 has Yokohamas on - not sure if these are any better. Sure I read that somewhere they had switched makes - must admit I didn't check on the test drive..

MrPastry said:
I found the Phev quite sure footed in the snow with winter tyres but because it has no more ground clearance than other small cars, it couldn't cope with much depth & frequently ground to a halt.

I assume you meant "other small SUVs" as, of course, it has considerably more clearance then most ordinary cars, small or otherwise.

On an associated point, I notice the very slow speed over "humps" in London by most luxury cars to avoid "bottoming out". Can't really see why people buy one of these for use in London, if unable to drive it properly. :lol:

MrPastry said:
Having owned Landrover Defenders with mud terrain tyres for many years, I wasn't sure what to expect from the Phev in snow.

I probably wouldn't try to drive the Phev in snow with the standard Toyo's. Winter tyres make a huge difference. Worth every penny. :D

More here:

Grinding to a halt in snow has little to do with ground clearance - snow compresses easily. The usual cause is driver error - failing to disable traction control. A slipping wheel will be locked to provide traction to the others, the next wheel will be locked, etc, until the car comes to a halt. This is mentioned in the manual.

jaapv said:
MrPastry said:

More here:

Grinding to a halt in snow has little to do with ground clearance - snow compresses easily. The usual cause is driver error - failing to disable traction control. A slipping wheel will be locked to provide traction to the others, the next wheel will be locked, etc, until the car comes to a halt. This is mentioned in the manual.

MY2019 has a snow mode which I assume reduces the traction control to give you more power when wheels are spinning..

I came to this late but I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts. I’m a 3 month owner of a 4h with just under 3K miles now, of which 1200 were done on a week up to Scotland (from south London) a few days ago. My thought pretty much match yours after a few weeks. The positive bit is that I’m happy I made a good call on the car overall, and I can live with the niggles for the benefits. I went for the Atlantic Grey and having seen others while I’ve been driving I would go for the same again.

I got the car on a business lease to my own company and that’s costing me about £380 pm (VAT incl) through Shogun Vehicles Ltd, which is Mitsubishi’s finance company in UK, together with an upfront payment of about £4.5K. The discount against the consumer forecourt price on the delivery note was eye-watering - about £12K from memory (but let me know if you want the detail and I’ll look it up).

The only thing I’d add to what you’ve said is that for its faults, Ecotricity is worth looking at if you’re going to do much motorway driving. Even at 30p per kwh I’d probably use it every 2 or 3 hours when I grab a coffee and stretch my legs on a long run, and I think 20EV miles for 20mins charging (for a bit under £2 or £1 if you take their home power) is not a bad deal. Also, I found as I was driving down from the Lakes last week that their network was down, so 3 x charges were free, which was a bit of a Billy-bonus.

Good luck with your decision, whichever way it goes. I’ll look forward to hearing.

DavidM said:
I came to this late but I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts. I’m a 3 month owner of a 4h with just under 3K miles now, of which 1200 were done on a week up to Scotland (from south London) a few days ago. My thought pretty much match yours after a few weeks. The positive bit is that I’m happy I made a good call on the car overall, and I can live with the niggles for the benefits. I went for the Atlantic Grey and having seen others while I’ve been driving I would go for the same again.

I got the car on a business lease to my own company and that’s costing me about £380 pm (VAT incl) through Shogun Vehicles Ltd, which is Mitsubishi’s finance company in UK, together with an upfront payment of about £4.5K. The discount against the consumer forecourt price on the delivery note was eye-watering - about £12K from memory (but let me know if you want the detail and I’ll look it up).

The only thing I’d add to what you’ve said is that for its faults, Ecotricity is worth looking at if you’re going to do much motorway driving. Even at 30p per kwh I’d probably use it every 2 or 3 hours when I grab a coffee and stretch my legs on a long run, and I think 20EV miles for 20mins charging (for a bit under £2 or £1 if you take their home power) is not a bad deal. Also, I found as I was driving down from the Lakes last week that their network was down, so 3 x charges were free, which was a bit of a Billy-bonus.

Good luck with your decision, whichever way it goes. I’ll look forward to hearing.

Thanks Dave your thoughts were really interesting. Although not made an absolute decision yet. Wheels are in motion and Atlantic grey is defo strongest contender - would love to see some photos if you have any.! Will defo look at Ecotricity - not something i read about before anywhere else so a top tip... !!

bounderboy said:
Thanks Dave your thoughts were really interesting. Although not made an absolute decision yet. Wheels are in motion and Atlantic grey is defo strongest contender - would love to see some photos if you have any.! Will defo look at Ecotricity - not something i read about before anywhere else so a top tip... !!

No problem - the main charging deals I know about are with Ecotricity (reduction to 15p per KWH, vs 30p) and Ovo (free membership of the Polar/Chargemaster networks for 2 years, I think, instead of paying a subscription of ~£8 pm). Which of these is better for you depends on where you want to charge. There are also other deals that don't reduce charging prices away from home - I'm with Octopus Energy which has a pretty good deal for charging cheaply at home out of working hours. If you go for it then just search for EV charging tariffs and you'll get a few ideas.

As for colour, this is my motor:

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 41
DavidM said:

Yeah I like that colour. Although I prefer the inward upgrades on the MY2019 your wheels are so much nicer.. New wheels are atrocious.. look like poor hub caps in comparison...

bounderboy said:
DavidM said:

Yeah I like that colour. Although I prefer the inward upgrades on the MY2019 your wheels are so much nicer.. New wheels are atrocious.. look like poor hub caps in comparison...

I was wondering when someone would mention the new wheels. I'm guessing Mitsu offer no options. To my eye they look great but that's always an alarm to me as the nicer wheels look, the harder they are to clean. My MY16 wheels are very easy wheels to keep clean and I didn't like them much to start with but like much else about the Outlander PHEV, they have grown on me: not including the bongs and dongs of course. -Nearly three years on I still get out of the car with the key in my pocket without switching it off or try to open the tailgate when the car thinks I shouldn't.

There are features from my old cars I would like to see on the PHEV (even from my Skoda Estelle) but when all said I have but one regret - should have saved my premium paint money and gone for the battleship grey colour.

Hi, I consider getting the 2019 model and I can't find any info about the motorway behavior and fuel consumption.
Did you have the chance to test the 2019 model on motorway? What's the mileage at 80 mph? What about noise (road, engine and wind) at that speed?

zerozero said:
Hi, I consider getting the 2019 model and I can't find any info about the motorway behavior and fuel consumption.
Did you have the chance to test the 2019 model on motorway? What's the mileage at 80 mph? What about noise (road, engine and wind) at that speed?

No didn't got on Motorway but did some dual carriageways and seemed fine to me. Pulled really well from any speed... Didn't seem noisy.. Once electric runs out you are looking at 35-40 mpg max...

It is a very quiet car on the motorway, except when you apply maximum power. Then you can hear the engine go to maximum revs. Much like a conventional automatic applying kick-down. These cars are rather pleasant motorway drivers, as they will apply high torque right up to the limited top speed. Due to the weight distribution and anti-yaw technology they are remarkably stable. Fuel consumption is in line with any medium-sized petrol SUV. It remains a two-ton car with the Cw value of a brick.
I am quite impressed driving at average speeds of around 150 kph.
The only thing to bear in mind is that if you drive flat-out for long stretches, especially with a head wind, the car may tell you to slow down a bit to recover the battery. I only saw this once in 110.000 km.

@jaapv you are not talking about the MY 2019 model, do you ?

Especially when you write : the only thing to bear in mind is that if you drive flat-out for long stretches, especially with a head wind, the car may tell you to slow down a bit to recover the battery.
We simply don't know if it could still happen with the new one imho. Don't forget the 135 HP, and the generator's +10 % power !

My own test drive, in French (sorry for you, les anglophones ;)) : http://news.hybridlife.org/essai-du-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-2019-revolution-silencieuse

Back