Best Home Charging Point with OLEV UK

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bounderboy

My new MY2019 PHEV arriving in 1 month. Want to get a home charging point installed any hints and tips on best/cheapest installed points. I am pretty sure I want tethered but what spec should I choose - thanks for help advice in advance...

You really don't want tethered IMHO. The Type 1 connector used in the PHEV is decreasing in popularity. The Type 2 connector is much more popular, so you would need to replace the tethered cable if you get a different EV. We have a PHEV ad a Zoe, so a tethered cable would be useless for one car.

ThudnBlundr said:
You really don't want tethered IMHO. The Type 1 connector used in the PHEV is decreasing in popularity. The Type 2 connector is much more popular, so you would need to replace the tethered cable if you get a different EV. We have a PHEV ad a Zoe, so a tethered cable would be useless for one car.

Yeah that makes sense.. Just couldn't be bothered with getting the lead out the car all the time... Suppose you can still leave it connected like tethered but assume its more nickable... Not planning on getting another electric car for three years. Can the cable be changed on a tethered unit or is it a replacement of whole unit?

I bought (privately) a Rolec charge point with a tethered Type 2 cable. It was an easy job to swap it for a type 1. So it can be done, with a bit of care.

bounderboy said:
Yeah that makes sense.. Just couldn't be bothered with getting the lead out the car all the time... Suppose you can still leave it connected like tethered but assume its more nickable... Not planning on getting another electric car for three years. Can the cable be changed on a tethered unit or is it a replacement of whole unit?
We're lucky enough to live in a rural environment, so we leave both cables wrapped around the charger as they're very unlikely to be nicked. I'm sure you could use some sort of shackle and padlock to attach the cable to something solid, though.

The downside of untethered is that you'll have to purchase a type 2 to type 1 cable, which is another £110+

Looking at Rolec - who seem best value. They can change from Type 1 to Type 2 post install so I am still favouring tethered from an initial cost point of view - security and ease of use and tidier.

So next question - it is same price for 3.6kw or 7.2kw

3.6kW (16A) 5 metre Type 1 (J1772) tethered lead £199.00* (inc. VAT)
7.2kW (32A) 5 metre Type 1 (J1772) tethered lead £199.00* (inc. VAT)

Seems obvious you would choose 7.2 for future proofing. I think I am right in saying it won't help the Outlander charge quicker though.

Correct. The Outlander draws 16 Amps maximum. Actually measures about 14.5A in practice. Go for the 32A, it's the logical decision.

Update.. I can only have a 3.6kw charger anyway as my house only has 60amp fuse on the main supply... Told you need more than this for higher rated chargers and would need to get the Electricity board to change before i could install..

I have a Rolec charge point with a tethered Type 2 cable.[ It is fantastic and I have never had any problems. A friend has recently had a Zappi installed under the Home Charge Scheme and he is made up with that as well. :D

Back