Government scraps plug-in car grant for hybrids

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're slowly realising they're going to lose a lot of car tax if everyone goes electric/hybrid. Time to start discouraging us!

PHEV are getting more and more popular in UK

Government can't pay too much for promote a technology, which is now looking established

Pure EV are still more "green" then PHEV .. or better Pure EV people are forced to use the car in green way, while a PHEV often is used as normal Hybrid just for cash the tax advantage. In my view .. possible a PHEV is even more green then an EV if used properly

Yes .. sales of Outlander PHEV could have an impact in UK ... but maybe a used PHEV will keep better the value in UK.

It will be interesting to see whether the manufacturers respond to this with a price reduction on PHEVs. I suspect not as they will probably then be less profitable models than ICE versions. We need PHEVs as a first step for many people towards reducing the impact on the environment.

I can't believe this has been published so soon after the Oct 8th UN IPCC report on climate change http://www.ipcc.ch/news_and_events/pr_181008_P48_spm.shtml. There again, as Michael Gove snubbed a key meeting of EU Environment Ministers a day later (that meeting was to address ways of further reducing CO2 emissions) and there was no UK cabinet minister present, I probably shouldn't be surprised.

Writing to my MP.

elm70 said:
PHEV are getting more and more popular in UK

Government can't pay too much for promote a technology, which is now looking established

Pure EV are still more "green" then PHEV .. or better Pure EV people are forced to use the car in green way, while a PHEV often is used as normal Hybrid just for cash the tax advantage. In my view .. possible a PHEV is even more green then an EV if used properly

Yes .. sales of Outlander PHEV could have an impact in UK ... but maybe a used PHEV will keep better the value in UK.

Since the budget is limited .. and PHEV are getting more popular and they will be always more popular

Possibly they should cut/reduce tax incentive on PHEV, but as well increase taxes on ICE Car

In this way they can still promote a greener technology without overcharge the country balance

Anyhow ... what did in UK is good .. here they even don't think to promote EV, even if there is a big lobby behind carbon production, so using EV would help their friends owners of carbon mines

Still 2nd end EV are coming here

Guess who was due to order my new PHEV on 14th November!!
My new contract may now be in jeopardy :evil:
Big John

GX3+
Orient Red
MY16
named "Sparky"

vickers7893 said:
Guess who was due to order my new PHEV on 14th November!!
My new contract may now be in jeopardy :evil:
Big John

GX3+
Orient Red
MY16
named "Sparky"

Wonderful of the government to give so much notice. Ludicrous!

The government has a finite pot of money to spend on incentives. With the significant increase in sales of PHEVs and BEVs, it is having to dole out more and more cash for something which is starting to become mainstream. Is the cash-strapped government supposed to keep on doling out free cash to people just because they want it?

Mitsubishi obviously disappointed by this: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mitsubishi-extremely-disappointed-end-government-plug-car-grants

ThudnBlundr said:
The government has a finite pot of money to spend on incentives. With the significant increase in sales of PHEVs and BEVs, it is having to dole out more and more cash for something which is starting to become mainstream. Is the cash-strapped government supposed to keep on doling out free cash to people just because they want it?

No but they could phase it out with notice at least.

Instead of being "disappointed", Mitsubishi need to come up with a replacement with a 70 mile range.
This car has been around since 2013 and has been a beneficiary of various incentives (as have I owning one since 2014 - when the grant was £5k) but the game has moved on.

gobiman said:
Instead of being "disappointed", Mitsubishi need to come up with a replacement with a 70 mile range.
This car has been around since 2013 and has been a beneficiary of various incentives (as have I owning one since 2014 - when the grant was £5k) but the game has moved on.

Totally agree, disappointing on the current power train redesign they couldn't even get a handful of miles more to 40 miles which would have at least given it some tax break in the UK

Space under the car for more battery.

Lack of notice surprising. Sales boost for PHEVs this month? Does anyone still expect coherent policies from this Government at the moment? :lol:

Defo been a rush on since news.. Noticed Nationwide Vehicle Contracts now running low on stock.. Glad I had mine ordered just in time..

BobEngineer said:
gobiman said:

Totally agree, disappointing on the current power train redesign they couldn't even get a handful of miles more to 40 miles which would have at least given it some tax break in the UK

Space under the car for more battery.

More battery = more weight = more power needed = more battery = ......

To get to 70 mile range, a step change is needed in battery technology to give more power per kilogram of weight. By removing the incentives for plug-ins the government has sent a signal to manufacturers that it is not worth investing any more in this technology. All-electric cars can get up to 300 miles range already (Kio Niro Electric https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/159004/zero-emissions-kia-niro-ev-revealed-in-korea) and don't have the same weight issues so why invest more to squeeze extra miles out of PHEVs they can't sell?

The UK government has a track record of choking off incentives too early (e.g. solar panels). PHEVs may not be a long-term solution but they represent additional customers for the charging infrastructure that needs to be put in place for true EVs. The risk is that this infrastructure rollout will now slow down as fewer PHEVs are purchased and that this will have a knock on effect on the transition away from petrol/diesel.

In a sense, that's my point.
The Outlander PHEV is basically still a 2012 design with a few incremental improvements.
Battery tech has moved on - the Kia Niro EV at 300 mile range is probably 3x what you could get in 2012.
What I'm suggesting is the same concept but new and more efficient design (hopefully lighter) but with a battery pack which for the same weight gives greater range.

Back