Another new Outlander PHEV owner

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornclose

Morning,

I took delivery of my 2019 Outlander PHEV 4HS in Atlantic Grey on 2nd October, so I am a few weeks in now, although I have been lurking here for a while..

The Outlander is a first in many respects for me; First Mitsubishi, first plug-in hybrid, not quite the first SUV but the first since my last one in 1993!

It's a company car, so no prizes for guessing why I've gone for a hybrid, and it replaced the previous company car, a 2014 Volvo V70 D4 SE Lux Geartronic.

After the initial let downs from the lease company/supplying dealer, where they failed to fit the 'Protection Pack' which was ordered with the vehicle, failed to supply the service book and user manual (somehow it got 'lost' - I am still waiting as they are on back order, and there is nothing available for download yet as far as I can see.. EDIT: now available here), and the fact that the car wasn't that clean (quite dusty inside..), I am so far very happy with the car!

I've done 530 miles so far, and have only put 39 litres of unleaded in it, of which I still have three-quarters of a tank left!

So far I have stuffed in 71.02 kWh (I am measuring and logging this via smart sockets where I charge..). My maths estimates this is an overall cost of about 8.2p/mile, although I have yet to empty the car of fuel and electricty, so such figures will evolve as more time and mileage is done.

I have regularly done 32-33 miles on EV only, so that does tally with official figures. I have also had to drive the car on a few runs with a 'flat' battery (I know the battery is never really fully 'flat' as the car seems to maintain a few kW in there at any given time), but even on such occassions, on a steady A1 run (cruise speed 60-65 mph) I have still seen 41 mpg from the car.

I use the paddles all the time, and very rarely use the brakes as I have perfected many hyper-miling techniques from previous cars (my V70 D4 would easily attain 60 mpg on similar runs..). B0 is the favoured mode as that mimicks the coasting abilities of the V70 D4 when set to 'eco' mode, and if I do need to brake, the paddles are always used first.

All in all, I am impressed so far. About the only thing I am not 100% happy about are the new MY19 wheels - I much prefer the MY18 wheels than these ones. I don't 'dislike' them as such but they don't look as good on the Outlander as the MY18 wheels IMO.

EDIT: I really don't know what the incessant whines about build quality and cheap plastics is all about from many Outlander haters - sure it is different to some cars but by no means poor quality or cheaply built. And I come from a string of 'quality' marques including Audi, BMW, MINI, Volvo etc.. I guess some people just don't like the Outlander. I have zero brand loyalty history with Mitsubishi or the Outlander either, and I based my decision to go with the Outlander purely on cost and practicality grounds. Nothing else came close that was available and WLTP certified. Closest potential option was the Kia Optima Sportwagon PHEV but getting one was a different story.. So I was keen as mustard to get rid of the tax ball-and-chain of a diesel ASAP!

I have always been a Swedish car fan really, with Saab and Volvo being my brands of choice, but since Saab went bust years ago and Volvo don't offer a PHEV that suits my needs for much less than £65k, Outlander it was..

Let's see some pics!!

I have an Outlander 4H on order too. Atlantic Grey 4H too. I hopefully get mine in a couple of weeks and reasons for choice are exactly same as you - oh and I don't like wheels for this year either!!..

Yep be good to see some pics!

I am picking up my ex-demo Atlantic Grey 4h in the next couple of days. I have been a PHEV owner for 4 years having driven Volvos for over 20 years before that. I think they made a huge mistake by making their PHEVs "top of the range" and lost a lot of loyal buyers like me. They will lose a lot more unless they bring prices down, especially now that the government has taken away the plug-in incentives.

I would say that the original Outlander interior was definitely inferior to Volvo's but that the MY19 quality is getting better. The one thing I do miss is the Volvo seats! I think they are some of the best in the industry for comfort and support.

rgilyead said:
I am picking up my ex-demo Atlantic Grey 4h in the next couple of days. I have been a PHEV owner for 4 years having driven Volvos for over 20 years before that. I think they made a huge mistake by making their PHEVs "top of the range" and lost a lot of loyal buyers like me. They will lose a lot more unless they bring prices down, especially now that the government has taken away the plug-in incentives.

I would say that the original Outlander interior was definitely inferior to Volvo's but that the MY19 quality is getting better. The one thing I do miss is the Volvo seats! I think they are some of the best in the industry for comfort and support.
Indeed, many of my observations too. The V70 D4 was a great car, and I'll miss many aspects of it, but the savings associated with the Outlander PHEV with no loss of practicality cannot be ignored.

Volvo seats are in my experience the very best ever made, with Saab being a close second. Best of all are the Phase 2 S60/V70/S80 seats (MY2000-2006). I still have a 2001 V70 T5 and you can literally drive for 12 hours and still get out and walk.

Lovely car, but I agree with other's comments on the MY19 wheels, they're not nearly as nice as the '18s. Your steering wheel's on the wrong side, too. ;-)

cornclose said:
I have regularly done 32-33 miles on EV only, so that does tally with official figures.

Not sure if you've read up on a few ongoing battery degradation threads:
- http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3933
- http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3520

In short, if you're regularly doing EV only for 32-33 miles, battery is going to degrade faster (BMS is protecting on the low end, but not the high end): https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/top-5-ways-to-preserve-your-battery

In regards to the new wheel design, it has made silver look nicer, my new personal favorite (with the previous black wheels, I liked white or black):
View attachment Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 9.06.31 PM.jpg

BCbackroader said:
Your steering wheel's on the wrong side, too. ;-)
haha, it's on the RIGHT side in more ways than one! :lol:

Woodman411 said:
Not sure if you've read up on a few ongoing battery degradation threads:

In short, if you're regularly doing EV only for 32-33 miles, battery is going to degrade faster (BMS is protecting on the low end, but not the high end)
I hadn't read those no (thanks for the links), but I am aware of battery technology issues. So far, it seems the Outlander even when reporting a 'flat' battery, still retains around 2kWh of charge. The maximum I have ever been able to put in on an overnight 10A charge (it's actually a little over 9A in reality on my domestic charger..) is 11.88kWh. According to Mitsubishi the MY19 has a 13.8kW battery. So it seems the car is already limiting the lower end.

Woodman411 said:
In regards to the new wheel design, it has made silver look nicer, my new personal favorite (with the previous black wheels, I liked white or black)
That does look good in silver, I agree! I think my MY19 wheels will look better when coated with a film of brake dust.. ;) I may even get them painted a shade or two darker at some point - it will depend on how much it annoys me.. :?

Attachments

• kwh.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 47
cornclose said:
So far, it seems the Outlander even when reporting a 'flat' battery, still retains around 2kWh of charge. The maximum I have ever been able to put in on an overnight 10A charge (it's actually a little over 9A in reality on my domestic charger..) is 11.88kWh. According to Mitsubishi the MY19 has a 13.8kW battery. So it seems the car is already limiting the lower end.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said BMS protects the low end, it reports battery empty when it's really at 20-30%. But it doesn't protect on the other side like Leaf or Tesla can, they give an option to charge up to 80-90% to protect the high end, unfortunately, Outlander doesn't give this option. According to Battery University, one can double or triple battery life by discharging from 80% versus 100%: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Woodman411 said:
cornclose said:
So far, it seems the Outlander even when reporting a 'flat' battery, still retains around 2kWh of charge. The maximum I have ever been able to put in on an overnight 10A charge (it's actually a little over 9A in reality on my domestic charger..) is 11.88kWh. According to Mitsubishi the MY19 has a 13.8kW battery. So it seems the car is already limiting the lower end.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said BMS protects the low end, it reports battery empty when it's really at 20-30%. But it doesn't protect on the other side like Leaf or Tesla can, they give an option to charge up to 80-90% to protect the high end, unfortunately, Outlander doesn't give this option. According to Battery University, one can double or triple battery life by discharging from 80% versus 100%: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

My car will be on three year lease - I assume i am not going to see too much degradation whatever i do?

bounderboy said:
Woodman411 said:
cornclose said:

My car will be on three year lease - I assume i am not going to see too much degradation whatever i do?

It depends (number of cycles, depth of discharge, temperature, fast charging, etc), but if the vehicle will be returned after only 3 years, I guess it doesn't matter?

Woodman411 said:
It depends (number of cycles, depth of discharge, temperature, fast charging, etc), but if the vehicle will be returned after only 3 years, I guess it doesn't matter?

Yup gone in 3 years .... that's what i thought! Someone elses worry then...

Back