Using Mostly petrol in winter..

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bounderboy said:
is the heated windscreen a new thing of MY2019 - will that stop the window steaming up I wonder when driving with out climate control on...
Not sure if it is new for 2019 - but they do prevent misting on the screen both inside and out. I had one in my Volvo V70 too and they are great for icey mornings.

It would be interesting to know what the power consumption of these systems are; Heated windscreen, heated seats, heated steering wheel. If these when combined require less power than using the climate control heater then I would be tempted to use them in preference as required..

cornclose said:
bounderboy said:
is the heated windscreen a new thing of MY2019 - will that stop the window steaming up I wonder when driving with out climate control on...
Not sure if it is new for 2019 - but they do prevent misting on the screen both inside and out. I had one in my Volvo V70 too and they are great for icey mornings.

It would be interesting to know what the power consumption of these systems are; Heated windscreen, heated seats, heated steering wheel. If these when combined require less power than using the climate control heater then I would be tempted to use them in preference as required..

I don't have specific numbers for the Outlander, but here is one breakdown for a Tesla: https://insideevs.com/energy-consumption-of-various-tesla-heating-features

In short, heating surfaces is much more energy efficient than running the resistance heater: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1054000_question-how-do-electric-cars-volt-leaf-heat-passengers

cornclose said:
bounderboy said:

jodysutts said:
Ok, to get heat I have to unplug the car turn it on fully (ready mode)and turn up the heat dial. The engine will come on and heat the car. When I turn on the car and heater while still plugged in all I get is cold air no matter what temp is selected. My point is I have to use a lot more petrol now for the next number of months..

Leave it plugged in, stay indoors, and activate preheating with the remote control app. Or use the timer if you set off the same time each day. It will heat quite effectively and almost always enough that the delta is below the engine start threshold. If you set the app to the right mode it will defrost the windscreen and (I think) rear screen too. Then your only problem is very getting passengers to get on board without leaving doors open for ages and letting all the heat out again.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I’m not sure how to set the timer correctly, I’ve tried before but it didn’t come on. Il try again! The car is second hand and the WiFi password is gone missing so I don’t have the app setup. I leave for work at the same time every morning so no problems there!

The big difference is attributable to Mitsubishi’s use of resistive heating in the PHEV—as with fully electric cars, it warms the cabin using an element like what’s in your toaster or hair dryer, rather than engine coolant. It allows you to precondition the cabin while the vehicle is still plugged in without impacting range.

I thought it was heating the coolant with an immersion heater, not heating air like a toaster or hairdryer. Or did that change since my 2016 was made?

Steve

Daff said:
The big difference is attributable to Mitsubishi’s use of resistive heating in the PHEV—as with fully electric cars, it warms the cabin using an element like what’s in your toaster or hair dryer, rather than engine coolant. It allows you to precondition the cabin while the vehicle is still plugged in without impacting range.

I thought it was heating the coolant with an immersion heater, not heating air like a toaster or hairdryer. Or did that change since my 2016 was made?

Steve
You are right. But they didn't say "heating air like a toaster or hair dryer". They said "using an element like what’s in your toaster or hair dryer". In a toaster or hair dryer, the element heats air, in the PHEV it heats coolant.

The op has a car capable of preheat and with electric seats I think so there shouldn’t be a problem on a short commute. Use the preheat. If it doesn’t come on it may be to do with the DST/gmt/bst setting - I had that problem last year.

To clear the windscreen without using the engine, leave the heating on screen and minimum temp which is 15 deg in uk. The fan and air con should then run without any heating. It doesn’t matter if you leave the heater on that setting as the preheat just runs full blast, it is not determined by heater settings.
Cheers
H

Thanks for your reply’s. I found this very interesting topic... http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=862

Back