Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Old SatNav in new model?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:25 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
cornclose wrote:
I can't get to grips with the philosophy that the lack of factory Nav on the Outlander is a problem.

I don't think you'll find many arguing that the Mitsi built-in system is superior (it isn't!) - but some appear to be worried that they'll increase their mobile phone bill. Which may be true, but the cost should be significantly less than the charge for updating the in-car system every year. (If it isn't, you should be looking for a new mobile contract!) FWIW I find that a 200 mile trip pulls down about 10/20MB for Google maps, and as others have pointed out Google (Apple may do this as well, but I don't know) allows you to preload trips over WiFi.

I have both, and yes iPhone can pre-download maps as well via the native app. Or just install Google Maps on the iPhone ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:25 am 

Tipper wrote:
...why do I have to have a mobile phone based system which a: may not work properly and b: costs me a large data package which I don't have and don't want!

Frankly it's putting me off a replacement PHEV.

and c:
... will tell the big data collector all details about your car and your driving style.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:25 am 

Using Maps on an iPhone won't pass any data to Apple to be stored, but you can't cache maps (?yet). If you use Google Maps, you can cache any area you choose beforehand, and so not use any data while on the move, so you could actually turn off data and it would work (without traffic), if you're worried about sending Google data

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:47 am 

ThudnBlundr wrote:
Using Maps on an iPhone won't pass any data to Apple to be stored, but you can't cache maps (?yet). If you use Google Maps, you can cache any area you choose beforehand, and so not use any data while on the move, so you could actually turn off data and it would work (without traffic), if you're worried about sending Google data

Carplay now allows Waze and Google Maps so will pass date to google still - so using an iPhone doesn't prevent this. If it worries you that us.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:50 am 

bounderboy wrote:
ThudnBlundr wrote:

Carplay now allows Waze and Google Maps so will pass date to google still - so using an iPhone doesn't prevent this. If it worries you that us.

As I said in my post, you can cache (download) maps and then turn off data if that worries you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 am 

ThudnBlundr wrote:
bounderboy wrote:
ThudnBlundr wrote:

As I said in my post, you can cache (download) maps and then turn off data if that worries you.

Sorry I thought you were saying from a privacy point of view.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 am 

I was.

I think we might be violently agreeing here ;)