2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Renault (almost) doubled the range of their Zoe in 3-4 years from 22 to 41kWh while keeping the same pack size, whereas Mitsubishi has taken 5 to improve the pack by 15%. Actually it's longer, as a very similar pack was in the i-MiEV. Hardly cutting edge

ThudnBlundr said:
Renault (almost) doubled the range of their Zoe in 3-4 years from 22 to 41kWh while keeping the same pack size, whereas Mitsubishi has taken 5 to improve the pack by 15%. Actually it's longer, as a very similar pack was in the i-MiEV. Hardly cutting edge

As I mentioned, a big factor here is cost. You neglected to mention that in France, the 41 kWh version costs about $3,000 euros more than the 22 kWh version, and that's *without the battery* - one then has to pay a monthly lease for the battery. Think that will work for the Outlander? :) The wiki link does say that in Norway, the price difference is about $5,000 US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Zoe

It would be nice if Mitsubishi can offer different battery sizes at different price points to satisfy everyone, but I'm guessing that is not cost effective, since nobody does it for a PHEV.

It's official - Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is no longer the only AWD SUV PHEV under $35,000 (USA): https://insideevs.com/subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-by-the-numbers

The Crosstrek maintains the mechanical AWD versus the Outlander's front/rear electric motors. With the Prius Prime's 8.8 kWh battery, electric-only range is 27 km/17 miles, making the same-price Outlander look really good.

Woodman411 said:
As I mentioned, a big factor here is cost. You neglected to mention that in France, the 41 kWh version costs about $3,000 euros more than the 22 kWh version, and that's *without the battery* - one then has to pay a monthly lease for the battery. Think that will work for the Outlander? :) The wiki link does say that in Norway, the price difference is about $5,000 US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Zoe
While reading Wikipedia is to be commended, you're confusing marketing with actual production costs. I'd certainly pay more for a PHEV that has a longer EV range, though the actual production cost on an enlarged battery is dropping all the time and certainly won't be much, if any, more than the initial cost of the smaller battery. Many car manufacturers charge varying amounts for basically identical cars - for instance BMW's 2 litre diesel is available in at least 3 different states of tune in various models, with very subtle physical differences between the engines, but a significant price difference.

ThudnBlundr said:
Woodman411 said:
While reading Wikipedia is to be commended, you're confusing marketing with actual production costs. I'd certainly pay more for a PHEV that has a longer EV range, though the actual production cost on an enlarged battery is dropping all the time and certainly won't be much, if any, more than the initial cost of the smaller battery. Many car manufacturers charge varying amounts for basically identical cars - for instance BMW's 2 litre diesel is available in at least 3 different states of tune in various models, with very subtle physical differences between the engines, but a significant price difference.

I'm not confused with anything. The wiki reference is specific and accurate - $5,000 difference between 22 kWh and 41 kWh. It doesn't matter what the "actual costs" are, what matters is consumers have to pay $5,000 to get double the range with the Zoe. About this: "enlarged battery is dropping all the time and certainly won't be much, if any, more than the initial cost of the smaller battery" - where do you see this? With the Zoe? Because if we take Norway as an example (France has a monthly rental cost with the battery), in 2014 the 21 kWh costs 191,980 kr (or $21,112 US). 4 years later, the 41 kWh costs 229,900 kr (or $25,282). Is it possible you assumed that Zoe doubled its range while maintaining the same price? It didn't. Here's another reference in the Tesla Model S. In 2012, the 60 kWh version costs $67,400. 6 years later, the 75 kWh version costs $74,500. Don't really see it with Tesla either.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see the 2nd-gen Outlander battery range and price when it comes out.

Hmm - but then again Wikipedia is notoriously inaccurate (anyone can change the entries) so you rely on it at your peril. :ugeek: :lol:

ThudnBlundr said:
Many car manufacturers charge varying amounts for basically identical cars - for instance BMW's 2 litre diesel is available in at least 3 different states of tune in various models, with very subtle physical differences between the engines, but a significant price difference.
That comparison is silly, if you ask me. When it comes to batteries, the amount of raw materials (which IMHO has a huge impact on price, relatively speaking) doubles when you want to double the capacity of the battery. The amounts of raw materials needed for three different engines, however, would be roughly the same and even if these amounts did differ significantly, it would have relatively little effect on overal cost.

gobiman said:
However, difficult to avoid the conclusion that Mitsubishi are resting on their laurels/ maximising profit rather than pushing ahead with a more efficient 70 mile replacement.
After the WLTP was adopted just a few weeks ago, many manufacturers have withdrawn their PHEVs from the (Dutch) market. Golf and Passat GTEs are no longer available as they are > 50 gr CO2 under WLTP and therefor the business case is gone . Same applies to many other PHEVs. The only car left (if I am not mistaken) is the new 2019 Outlander, that thanks to the new drive train is still < 50 gr CO2. I know, this is not about doubling range, but still, they did it not once but twice.

Woodman411 said:
ThudnBlundr said:
Woodman411 said:

I'm not confused with anything. The wiki reference is specific and accurate - $5,000 difference between 22 kWh and 41 kWh. It doesn't matter what the "actual costs" are, what matters is consumers have to pay $5,000 to get double the range with the Zoe. About this: "enlarged battery is dropping all the time and certainly won't be much, if any, more than the initial cost of the smaller battery" - where do you see this? With the Zoe? Because if we take Norway as an example (France has a monthly rental cost with the battery), in 2014 the 21 kWh costs 191,980 kr (or $21,112 US). 4 years later, the 41 kWh costs 229,900 kr (or $25,282). Is it possible you assumed that Zoe doubled its range while maintaining the same price? It didn't. Here's another reference in the Tesla Model S. In 2012, the 60 kWh version costs $67,400. 6 years later, the 75 kWh version costs $74,500. Don't really see it with Tesla either.
Your beloved wikipedia entry may well have 100% been accurate at one particular time, but it doesn't affect my argument that the costs are marketing-driven rather than cost-driven. Any search will show battery costs dropping year on year, for instance this one. So costs have dropped from around $600 per kWh to $200 per kWh since the PHEV and Zoe were introduced. That means that the Zoe 41kWh battery now costs far less than the 22kWh battery did at launch - QED

ThudnBlundr said:
That means that the Zoe 41kWh battery now costs far less than the 22kWh battery did at launch - QED
That may be true, but how does it help us in any way? As a 41 kWh battery of today will still be twice as expensive as a 22 kWh battery of today.

Maybe the discussion is not: doubling the capacity makes it more expensive. Maybe it is: not doubling the capacity makes it cheaper.

2019 Range Rover Evoque Plug-In announced: https://insideevs.com/range-rover-evoque-phev-2019

If you're not impressed with the current Outlander PHEV, then you certainly wont be here: 11.3 kWh battery with a guesstimate battery range of 17-20 miles/27-32 km.

Woodman411 said:
2019 Range Rover Evoque Plug-In announced: https://insideevs.com/range-rover-evoque-phev-2019

If you're not impressed with the current Outlander PHEV, then you certainly wont be here: 11.3 kWh battery with a guesstimate battery range of 17-20 miles/27-32 km.

But it will find a market amongst the Chelsea Tractor types who couldn't bear the thought of "downgrading" to a Mitsubishi. :lol:

This French article says the Evoque has 13.1kWh and 50km (31 miles):
https://www.automobile-propre.com/le-range-rover-evoque-hybride-rechargeable-bientot-disponible/
So much the same as the new Outlander, but no doubt a bit more expensive.

And five years too late.
I wish Mitsubishi would crack on with a second generation model with better range.

ChrisMiller said:
This French article says the Evoque has 13.1kWh and 50km (31 miles):
https://www.automobile-propre.com/le-range-rover-evoque-hybride-rechargeable-bientot-disponible/
So much the same as the new Outlander, but no doubt a bit more expensive.

Hello Chris, I believe the article in the last paragraph was referring to the P400e. It is possible though that Land Rover can update the specs on the Evoque when it becomes available, and either way, as you state, it's not an Outlander competitor.

I went to LA Auto Show yesterday.
At Mitsubishi, the Outlander PHEV is still the 2018 MY.
At Subaru, the Crosstrek Hybrid is making its debut. Much less trunk space even with smaller batteries which also means less Fed Tax Cred. here in the USA. And there is no RED!
At Hyundai, there is Kona Electric...
At Kia, there is Niro PHEV and BEV...

Next year, all California PHEV/BEV pre-2017 will lost HOV single driver sticker, I predict cheaper Pre owned EV in my market.

Good to have many choices of EVs within my budget.

Tai

Tai626 said:
I went to LA Auto Show yesterday.
At Mitsubishi, the Outlander PHEV is still the 2018 MY.
At Subaru, the Crosstrek Hybrid is making its debut. Much less trunk space even with smaller batteries which also means less Fed Tax Cred. here in the USA. And there is no RED!
At Hyundai, there is Kona Electric...
At Kia, there is Niro PHEV and BEV...

Next year, all California PHEV/BEV pre-2017 will lost HOV single driver sticker, I predict cheaper Pre owned EV in my market.

Good to have many choices of EVs within my budget.

Tai

Thanks Tai for the update. Looking optimistically, this might increase the chance that USA will not get the forked version Australia got last month, and have the fully updated version arriving late around April-June. Looking pessimistically, the forked version might still arrive late, and the fully updated version coming as MY2020 and will also arrive late, sometime in 2020. Here's hoping optimistically.

I've been shopping around for a Niro PHEV as a possible replacement when my Mitsi goes back next month*. There are none in the showrooms within 50 miles, and the biggest local dealer tells me they've sold exactly one, but they're happy to take pre-orders for the fully electric version which will definitely be out sometime next year. It doesn't fill me with confidence!

* My current plan is to hit the car auctions and buy it back :)

ChrisMiller said:
I've been shopping around for a Niro PHEV as a possible replacement when my Mitsi goes back next month*. There are none in the showrooms within 50 miles, and the biggest local dealer tells me they've sold exactly one, but they're happy to take pre-orders for the fully electric version which will definitely be out sometime next year. It doesn't fill me with confidence!

* My current plan is to hit the car auctions and buy it back :)

No AWD, smaller dimensions, and one of the few interiors that look worse than the Outlander PHEV, specifically the seat and headrest design: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-kia-niro-plug-in-hybrid-test-review Plus to get one decently equipped, price rises really fast. Are you sure you want to go there? :) (hope there are no Hyundai/Kia owners reading this)

The Niro PHEV is only available in one trim spec in the UK - Kia don't do options! Smaller is actually a benefit in the UK. Unlike the US where parking spaces are generally sized to fit a '64 Impala or an F-150, UK ones are sized to fit a Morris Minor, which can make an Outlander a bit of a squeeze (particularly if you have to fit in next to a Q7).

Back