Do you guys like these things?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodman411 said:
He then asked why I'm still interested in the Outlander PHEV, despite the overall brand's low loyalty and satisfaction ratings. The Federal Tax Credit is one primary reason why I'm still personally interested in this vehicle (there are other reasons). The surveys also don't separate the loyalty and satisfaction scores by model, it's possible the Outlander PHEV scores higher than, for example, the Thailand-made Mirage, which scores low on Consumer Reports reliability report.
I understand now. The way I read it, he was asking not why you were still interested but why they were at the bottom of the list. Doesn't matter. It is clear what you meant ;-)

Woodman411 said:
richr said:
There's certainly plenty of enthusiasm for the Outlander PHEV and lively enough forums. Also the second hand price of 2014 models in the UK makes them an extremely affordable option for people like me. I also have a 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero, so am no stranger to Mitsubishi 4WD vehicles, and although I doubt a 2014 Outlander will be anywhere near as reliable as my 27 year old Pajero has proven to be, I don't have any real worries. It might even mean I very reluctantly sell the Pajero if the Outlander can cope with driving on fields and filling the boot with chopped logs...

Rich.

The Pajero's of the 90's were bulletproof (true, a lot of vehicles in the 90's were, the vehicle era of over-engineering), still, the Pajero is legendary and has a cult-following in many countries. Outlander... not so much :) , at least it shows Mitsubishi's potential to make good vehicles. The Mirage is probably the other side of the coin, the potential to make not-so-good vehicles.

The problem is that cars are objects of desire, so likes and dislikes depend on things other than just cost, reliability etc. - the Pajero being a prime example - couldn't sell well in Argentina, I'm told, due the name being a local term of abuse. both figuratively & literally :lol:

msmatt said:
Woodman411 said:
blweeden said:
Well that's interesting. And concerning!

I wonder what the reason for that is. It seems that the reliability of Mitsu products has been OK from some data I've seen, so ... curious.

I see you're a potential future owner, so maybe it hasn't warded you off entirely yet :).

Brian

3 words: Federal Tax Credit :) I'm actually more of a Toyota guy (if there was a plug-in RAV4 for 2-3 thousand more, I would get it). Whenever US gets the 13.8 kWh battery, that credit rises to $6,711, plus another $1,500 state (California), meaning at least an $8,000 difference to anything else that doesn't qualify. Also, as you mentioned, the reliability of the Outlander has been relatively good.

msmatt said:
Bottom line, if Subaru offered a PHEV it would have been my first choice. However, the Outlander is basically the only choice in this segment and it is also very good. It has been refined over a number of years, and there is a lot of information available if you have issues.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid will be available end of this month: https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/crosstrek/hybrid.html

Sorry, I meant Outback PHEV! The Crosstrek is a little small, and it didn't give much improvement in fuel economy the first time they tried it as a hybrid. I agree, a plug-in RAV4 would probably be quite popular. Too bad Toyota mostly skipped PHEV's and jumped to the hydrogen fuel cell Mirai.

RAV4 Hybrid looks good... real good, wish there was a plug-in variant: https://www.motor1.com/reviews/286495/2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid-first-drive

Gotta stop looking at it, otherwise I'd convince myself it's worth the $8,000 difference (it's not).

richr said:
There's certainly plenty of enthusiasm for the Outlander PHEV and lively enough forums. Also the second hand price of 2014 models in the UK makes them an extremely affordable option for people like me.
Do remember that the warranty in the UK changed on 1/1/15. Prior to that, it was 3 years warranty with 5 on the EV parts, so any car registered before that will be out of warranty (or at the very end of it). After that they extended it to 5 and 8 years

ThudnBlundr said:
richr said:
There's certainly plenty of enthusiasm for the Outlander PHEV and lively enough forums. Also the second hand price of 2014 models in the UK makes them an extremely affordable option for people like me.
Do remember that the warranty in the UK changed on 1/1/15. Prior to that, it was 3 years warranty with 5 on the EV parts, so any car registered before that will be out of warranty (or at the very end of it). After that they extended it to 5 and 8 years

Did the mileage get extended too? On the 2014 warranty it's 2 years unlimited mileage followed by 3 years or 100,000km (62,000 miles) whichever comes first.

As most things in my budget are around 90,000 miles they'd be over that anyway. Although the extended EV one I imagine would still apply.

EDIT - just looked and the EV parts warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. So that'll be out too for most of the vehicles in my budget anyway.

Yeah, it's the electric heater that I'm after too. I'm fed up with a misted up windscreen on my short commute (< 3 miles) at this time of year, so having the option of being able to have the coolant nice and warm before I set off would be silly not to go for.

We'll see what's about anyway, I'm sure I can find something suitable. :)

Quite a few people seem to have upgraded from a 2014/15 to the newer version - surprised they’ve not been on this thread to say that. Mitsubishi in the UK actually rate quite highly on reliability. And no I don’t think we all prefer vw in the eu any more... and I used to own one.
I love my Outlander. Mainly short trips plus towing.
H

I woudn't mind betting the reason they haven't is that the money wasn't worth the upgrade.

Mine's just over 3 years old from new and it hasn't given me a second's hassle.

I still love it.

Battery analysis tech decided that it was only going to give me 15 miles range the other day so on a 150 mile round trip I floored the battery then floored the pedal to force use of the reserve.

Got 24 miles range next day in similar overnight temps. Not bad for UK winter, albeit fairly mild at the moment.

Manual recalibration!

Got 45 mpg average on the trip too and considering my throttle hammering on uphill stetches to 100kph + or so I thought that was pretty good.

Back