Should fast chargers be reserved for EVs?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgilyead

New RAC Foundation report recommends that fast chargers should be reserved for EV's since PHEV's can't benefit from the full capacity of the chargers: https://www.nextgreencar.com/news/8562/rapid-chargers-should-be-reserved-for-pureevs-says-rac-report/

This could easily be done (if desired) by having a fixed cost for using the charging point, in addition to a per unit rate. I believe some already do this, making them uneconomic for PHEV users - who have a choice between leccy and petrol that pure EV owners do not.

Objectively speaking, they probably should be - they make little difference to the economics of running a PHEV and potentially can harm the battery - why block the charging point when there may be other poor beggars waiting who cannot get to their destination without taking on some charge?

DC chargers? Probably yes. But other chargers? I would say no. Since I have an EV I don't need public charge points anymore. I have freed up 'my slot' allowing other PHEV drivers to burn less fuel.

At our office building charge bays are often occupied by EVs that most likely can make it home without charging. I am pretty sure that applies to most of them, as IMHO their owners would not risk driving their EVs to the office if they were not sure they could make it back home.

So, an EV in a parking bay has big impact on a PHEV but not the other way around.

Just a matter of perspective, I guess ;-)

Even when I do DCFC my PHEV, it only takes 20 minutes total. It's not like I take up the port all day. If a BEV has to wait an extra 15-20 minutes, too bad for its owners. They knew the limitations of having a BEV when they bought it. If they didn't want to have to depend on having a charger available, they should have gotten one with a longer range or they should have gotten a PHEV.

In any case, the solution, if all level 3 chargers or level 2 EVSEs are occupied, is to build more of them, not try to control who uses them and who doesn't.

Agree with sts. RAC is spreading false information.They stated PHEV's charge for hours on motorways. The physics is true , smaller battery the charge rate is less but PHEV only charge for 20 mins on chademo. If I could afford a Tesla I wouldn't need charging, I would be at my destination, occasionally I suppose. Till long range BEV become sub £30000. PHEV should be encouraged . Charging infrastructure should be like petrol stations -? don't know when that will happen.

I drive a Zoe as well as the PHEV the amount of times I'm come to charging points an Phev drivers have dumped their cars for an hour and left me stranded waiting for them to return ..not good when I'm out of range and stuck. Have had occasions where some nice Phev drivers have moved for me without asking. First there first to charge but pls don't leave your car for ages tying up the charger when no need to.

I agree that people shouldn’t hog chargers when not actually charging, this has nothing to do with it being a PHEV or BEV; it could be either hogging the bay while not charging.

Yeah hogging is not vehicle but person dependent. BEV could be stuck is two of them are already charging

Back