Outlander PHEV beep relief

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

I found this video by accident and thought it can be of interest.
The beeper is not removed, but its volume is reduced to maybe 10%.

Best regards, Harald

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTisolnQ5eM

Before attempting this, one should be aware that the Outlander shown in the video is not a PHEV and, more concerning, from a previous generation. Not talking about a different MY, but really a different generation. Designed together with PSA. The 'culprit' may not be in the same spot.

I've grown to like all the beeps and boops.

I've been calling mine "Beepy" maybe I should call it Betty (Boop boop de oop!)

I've seen the unit removed when my alarm was installed and it looks nothing like this one. Furthermore, the beeps on our PHEV originate from different spots.

jaapv said:
I've seen the unit removed when my alarm was installed and it looks nothing like this one. Furthermore, the beeps on our PHEV originate from different spots.

Thanks for clarification.
Can you also tell where the Beeper is located in the PHEV?

I'm sure you already know but just a quick reminder that any change to the audible warning system will make your insurance invalid if you haven't already notified them :shock:

AndyInOz said:
I've grown to like all the beeps and boops.

I've been calling mine "Beepy" maybe I should call it Betty (Boop boop de oop!)

I've never understood this fixation with beeps that some owners seem to have. When I've paid this much for a car, I would like it to play the National Anthem and Hallelujah Chorus whenever I touch a button - preferably at a couple of hundred decibels over external speakers! :D

In order to stop my wife "beep" about all the beeps in the PHEV, I took the steps in the video and got great reduction of noise.
Now wife have stopped "beeping" and the car as well, and we can now have a good relaxed drive.

phevnor said:
In order to stop my wife "beep" about all the beeps in the PHEV, I took the steps in the video and got great reduction of noise.
Now wife have stopped "beeping" and the car as well, and we can now have a good relaxed drive.
:), Harald

2013 PHEV G model Japanese import right hand drive, New Zealand.

Anyone know how to disable the LDW beeping? Drives me mad. There is the option to turn it off but it recycles to on every time I start again (same with the regeneration paddles which I want to leave on 5 but reset to 3 every time).

Seen a video (by Serge Chubinsky) on a different model but that doesn't work with mine. Maybe disconnect or muffle the beeper? Location of beeper?

<< Just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTisolnQ5eM - covering the beeper with tape - which works well >>

Thanks.

Still want to permanently disable the LDW sound...

Tried that (6 seconds press), didn't work.
Tried all sorts of combinations of holding button in while turning off etc. No joy.

Maybe I could buy a second hand circuit board and someone could try reprogramming it?

Cheers.

EchoVictor said:
Anybody had a look at the boot/trunk door to see if the beeps can be disabled there fo opening and closing?
Yes, it was quite easy to open up the inner cladding on the left side and to put some packing tape over the beeper. The sound level is far much better now.

A lump of 'Blutac' on the beeper works well for quietening noisy beepers. I've used it on reversing sensor beepers on several cars.
However I'm now used to all the PHEV beeps and no longer notice them anymore...which probably means I would no longer notice a real warning beep!

BTW when on ACC (adaptive cruise control) why does it beep when the road is clear in front but not when you come up behind another vehicle? Seems illogical to me. :?

ClasseClas said:
EchoVictor said:
Anybody had a look at the boot/trunk door to see if the beeps can be disabled there fo opening and closing?
Yes, it was quite easy to open up the inner cladding on the left side and to put some packing tape over the beeper. The sound level is far much better now.

Many thanks. I’ll give it a go

Just bought a PHEV outlander yesterday. Took me all of 10 minutes to go crazy from all the beeps.

I realized that the only way to silence the beeps is dismantle some dash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTisolnQ5eM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gRzh7KH3zc

Left hand drive 2014 PHEV model:

For dismantle help, I wrapped some duct tape over a blunt kitchen knife. Stick this to the edges of the panels and twist carefully to remove the dash panels.

1. first pry off the small panel to the left of the steering wheel. It is attached with 5 or 6 clips
2. next pry off the center panel, which wraps around the stereo and center climate vent. It is attached with 10 - 12 clips
3. next pry off the panel that is center over the steering wheel. It includes the top of the instrument cluster too. about 10 clips

in all of the above, no need to disconnect any wiring.

4. next, there is a one single screw holding the top of the instrument cluster. Unscrew this screw.
5. the instrument cluster is then held on by two clips in the bottom part of the cluster. Unclip these and the cluster can be removed.

this is where you need to disconnect one connector - a white connector that attaches to the instrument cluster (where is speedo, the display, and the power meter). AFter you disconnect this, the whole cluster can be removed.

you can now see the "king of beeps" speaker at the back of the unit. But still some more dismantle is needed.

6. next you need to unclip the front of the instrument cluster by unclipping about 10 black clips.

At this point your two needles, speedo and the power meter are exposed. Be careful not to break them!

7. Next you need to unclip about 6 white clips to access the circuit board.
After this step, the circuit board is loose, be careful not to drop it.

Now you have good access to cover the black speaker (***) hole. I used a silicone bump stop that is designed for kitchen cabinets "soft close"+ two or three layers of duct tape.

I also added two more layers of duct tape to the speaker hole in the white cover.

Reassemble everything in reverse order.

Result: the beeps are *just* barely audible while the vehicle is stationary. The LDW beep is audible in 60mph / 100kmh speed, since it has multiple beeps. But the most annoying beep of all, the single beep when ACC lost the vehicle in front, because it is only a single beep, it is no longer noticeable.

Success!! Feel like a winner now!

EchoVictor said:
You can prevent the beep by opening with the car locked and using the button on the lid, and closing it manually.

mcgraw said:
2013 PHEV G model Japanese import right hand drive, New Zealand.

Anyone know how to disable the LDW beeping? Drives me mad. There is the option to turn it off but it recycles to on every time I start again (same with the regeneration paddles which I want to leave on 5 but reset to 3 every time).

Seen a video (by Serge Chubinsky) on a different model but that doesn't work with mine. Maybe disconnect or muffle the beeper? Location of beeper?

Thanks.

Still want to permanently disable the LDW sound...

The real reason for the LDW beeps is sloppy driving. If you stay in lane and use your indicators it will never beep. It took the car a week to train me out of my bad driving habits.

Back