Free reverse led

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jojoxx

Like many others on here I find the reverse light a bit dim so I ordered two off a Chinese site. meanwhile ordered two led number plate lights they came first and I find they are enough to light up what I need (up to a wall) . I will still install the reverse lights though I like the colour so today the reverse lights tuned up !! Four of them !!! If anybody living near Darlington wants one pm me and you can have one free of charge I will keep a spare so two up for grabs -- pick up only please

Jojoxx said:
Like many others on here I find the reverse light a bit dim so I ordered two off a Chinese site. meanwhile ordered two led number plate lights they came first and I find they are enough to light up what I need (up to a wall) . I will still install the reverse lights though I like the colour so today the reverse lights tuned up !! Four of them !!! If anybody living near Darlington wants one pm me and you can have one free of charge I will keep a spare so two up for grabs -- pick up only please

Any chance of giving the suppliers link?

Sorry i haven't got the knowledge but they were from fleabay they look like a button from the front if thats any help . As an edit i have just ordered a brighter one yesterday ( due today ) it is a normal looking led a bit like the side lights and rated at 100 w so should be bright enough . I have to back up quite close to a wall to ensure the charging lead reaches so at £10 cheaper than a longer granny lead . If you send me your address i will get the wife to post you them ( all 4 ) as i dont need them .i would rather they get used than binning them

Jojoxx said:
Sorry i haven't got the knowledge but they were from fleabay they look like a button from the front if thats any help . As an edit i have just ordered a brighter one yesterday ( due today ) it is a normal looking led a bit like the side lights and rated at 100 w so should be bright enough . I have to back up quite close to a wall to ensure the charging lead reaches so at £10 cheaper than a longer granny lead . If you send me your address i will get the wife to post you them ( all 4 ) as i dont need them .i would rather they get used than binning them

Thank you for the offer, but for now I am considering other options. I only really need more light when on holiday in remotest Scotland about 6 weeks a year, so rather than a permanent mod I was thinking of a temporary mod using the 13pin tow socket and my tow ball bolt.

I too am looking at a similar solution - attaching to towbar bolts and feeding via the 13 pin socket. A 'standard' towbar mount for a socket would fit opposite the 13 pin socket fitted to mine and would mount the lamp. Have you looked at any lighting units? Just about to start researching but judging from my floodight at home a 10 or 20 Watt LED lamp would be enough for a good lighting level.
I'll let you know if I find anything that looks good.

Found this on Ebay - search for 'UK 18/36/72W 1/2PCS LED Car Wrok Light Bar Spot Flood Truck Driving Roof Lamp' (Note Wrok spelling error on listing)- they 18W square ones look as if the mounting can be set up as a 'back fixing'. I have ordered one and will let you know if it works well.

thefishnets said:
Found this on Ebay - search for 'UK 18/36/72W 1/2PCS LED Car Wrok Light Bar Spot Flood Truck Driving Roof Lamp' (Note Wrok spelling error on listing)- they 18W square ones look as if the mounting can be set up as a 'back fixing'. I have ordered one and will let you know if it works well.

Those look very good, I have a stainless steel bumper protector that I could drill and attach, However, 18 Watts of LED might just be a bit too bright. My new 10w led outside home light is as bright as the previous 150w one! Don't go into reverse in front of a police car!

If upgrading the bulb to LED you need to check carefully the lamp bulb fitting type as I bought a LED following a recommendation on 'farsebook' which I assumed would fit....it didn't fit my MY14.

You need a 'W21W' type as the the original 21Watt filament bulb is a 'W21W'.

I suppose later models may differ.

The first LEDs i bought that were w21w had 4 wires in grooves (2 each side) then when i got a single bulb it was a w21w too ! only had 2 (one each side on the outer grooves) and didn't work so i had to route the wires to the inner grooves for it to work luckily the wires were long enough . Am i right in thinking there are two types of w21w ? Or was i sent a different bulb in error

I don't know the details on how W21W bulbs contacts may differ but the first bulb I bought turned out to be a W16W, which, of course, doesn't fit. I'm hoping the replacement which is due today will work. Time will tell!

Edit: Yes it fitted and is much much brighter!

Following my previous post. I have a towbar and it just needed a second mounting plate for the LED lamp. I gave a ref for it on EBay on my previous post. I have just fitted the light unit and it was really quite easy.
I did have to lengthen the lead supplied with the lamp -it was only about 10" long - and it was difficult to actually replace it with a longer one as it is soldered onto a circuit board and difficult to get at. As the lamp I used actually uses very little current I soldered and shrink wrapped an 2x5amp 12v Cable extension on to the end of the one supplied.
Then simply a matter of taking the towball off, adding the extra backplate and connecting the 2 wires to the 13 pin trailer plug. I connected the supply wire onto pin 8 (reversing lamp supply) and the return wire onto pin 11 (earth) - plenty of space to do so - and it works well. The colour coding of the wiring on my trailer plug supply bears NO resemblance to the 'official' colours but the pin connections are numbered so not a problem. It does give a wide flat and bright spread of light and low down.

Attachments

• Rev Lamp 3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Rev Lamp 2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 68
Looks exactly what i need ! Well done that looks a professional job . After my last post i seen a YouTube video where a work colleague of a mobile mechanic wired a horn to a caravan socked and made it "toot" when the brakes were pressed !! very funny and it gave me an idea but not as good as yours

I recently ordered LED bulbs for the number plate and the reversing light on my MY16 PHEV. Fitting was very easy following the instructions in the handbook and only took a few minutes.

I ordered a pack of 2 for the reversing light and 4 for the number plate -just in case. The first ones installed worked perfectly and there have been no problems since.

These are the ones that I ordered, I hope that this helps anyone thinking of doing the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-T15-W16W-921-CANBUS-SAFE-LED-REVERSE-LIGHT-BULBS-PURE-WHITE-SAMSUNG-15-SMD-UK/332978047659?epid=17027422679&hash=item4d8709caab:g:bSMAAOSwiXVboNuR:rk:7:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-T10-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-LED-XENON-HID-PURE-WHITE-W5W-501-SIDE-LIGHT-BULBS-UK/202561412576?hash=item2f2999dde0:g:h3cAAOSwo1lcMzjT

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Xenon-White-20-SMD-906-912-920-921-W16W-T10-LED-Bulbs-For-Car/32825876069.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dKijBPE

This is what I installed for reverse LED, very bright!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    469 KB · Views: 57
This is what I used for the front hi beam so it can match the factory OEM led low beam.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HLXG-60W-12000LM-V16-Turbo-LED-H7-H4-H8-H9-H11-Car-Headlight-Kit-XHP-70/32845971676.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dKijBPE

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    519.3 KB · Views: 57
Look good ! I am finally going to get mine fitted today ( led high beam ) my friend has a half hour spot he can fit me in he will also let me know if they will be ok for the mot if not i will swap them back when the mot is due . He did say as long as they are inserted correctly there shouldn't be a problem as they are only used when there is no incoming traffic ( does a tree make a noise if it falls when nobody is there to hear it was his words ) then i can book a spot for my led light bar and horn

Jojoxx said:

Is this still available??

Sorry i should of posted that another member of the forum has got them ! So unfortunately they are gone

Finally got the led high beam fitted and wow they are good i couldn't use them on the trunk road as it was to busy but when I turned into th top of our road and it was clear i put them on and it actually lit the street up ten times brighter than the street lights ( led too ) so well impressed with them apparently there are some available twice as powerful but these are enough for me i can't look directly at them in daylight so they are a vast improvement on the old ones i also fitted the led bar below the number plate but still have it to wire ( my friend in his garage is too busy so i won't take money off him by asking ) god knows how bright they will be !!! if i can work out how to post pictures i will if people are interested

Can you please post a link to the high beam bulbs that you fitted, and also advise if you have had any update on the MOT situation.

Back