Trip meter set up

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K9pvc

Hi guys
I've read the manual a few times and related posts on here, Now maybe I'm stupid or something but its just not sinking in. On my previous car I had two sets of trip meter data lets call them setting 1 and setting 2. Both Giving total miles traveled, average speed, distance traveled, and mpg since either was last reset manually.

Setting 1) I left totally untouched to give me all that information for the life of the car since I had owned it as I never reset this From the day i owned it

Setting 2 ) I would reset every time i filled up the tank so I would have all that usage information for the current tank fill up.

Is there any way to achieve the same thing with the My16 outlander as I can see it has 2 settings but both seem to reset and go back to zero every time i switch off the car.
Any help or advice on the above would be much appreciated please as I'm sure its down to me just not understanding how to use this outlander system correctly. :roll:
Hope this all makes sense to you
Thanks in advance

The PHEV has two trip meters - one called Manual and one called Auto. The Manual one shows data since you last reset it, the Auto resets itself automatically after 4 hours.

Therefore, you can't achieve what you want, as you are looking for two versions of the Manual indicator. if you never reset it, it will show you your data since you have had the car, but if you reset it when you fill up, you will lose that 'lifetime' data and will only see data since the time you reset it yourself.

Sorry, but I don't think there is any way to have both a lifetime, and since last fill up, set of data.

Incidentally, you say that both sets of data reset each time you switch off - this is not correct, the manual trip data should continue to accumulate data until you reset it yourself.

The thing i found confusing at first was knowing which set of data you were looking at, as the screen shows 'Manual' in bottom left corner, and 'Auto' in top right (or vice versa). The top right name is what you are currently viewing, and the button bottom left is to switch to the alternative set of data.

Hi Geoff
Thanks for Clarifying things,
It may not work the way I would of liked it to but I guess I can adapt to that in time. At least now I understand the information on screen relates to whichever name is currently showing in the top right corner either manual or auto that in its self is a big help. Like you say the layout of the screens is a little confusing to say the least.
But then Colin (carnut) did warn me this Mms was not excatly the most intuitive and user friendly :shock:

I may be confused, but mine also seems to have two trip meters controlled from the dashboard (not MMCS) called trip 1 and trip 2.

The display usually shows total mileage (odometer reading) but that display can also be cycled through the two trip readings by pressing the display button on the dash. Re-setting those trip meters is achieved by holding down the display button while the trip mileage is being shown.

Correct Andy, but (AFAIK) the two trip meters just record mileage and don't affect the mpg etc displayed on the MMCS.

Ah. Now I see, I missed the MPG part in the original post.

This is what happens when you go from an old school car (mechanical VDO guages) to a futuristic car like the PHEV.

I was very pleased to see the two trip meters, and have never owned a car that would calculate fuel usage...

geoffshep69 said:
The PHEV has two trip meters - one called Manual and one called Auto. The Manual one shows data since you last reset it, the Auto resets itself automatically after 4 hours.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I’m hoping somebody can help. I have a 2018 PHEV, and I’m trying to figure out how to view the Manual trip meter so that I can see the average mpg since I last reset it. But, for the life of me, I can’t find it.

General - pressing the "multi-information display" menu button (about 8-9 o'clock relative to the steering wheel, and below the vent) will cycle through the display between the 'power' gauge and speedo.

AndyH said:
General - pressing the "multi-information display" menu button (about 8-9 o'clock relative to the steering wheel, and below the vent) will cycle through the display between the 'power' gauge and speedo.

Understood, but the mpg and EV drive ratio are set to “Auto Reset Mode”, so they reset every time the car is parked for 4 hours. You can change it to “Manual Reset Mode”, but that’s useless because it just changes back to Auto the next time you start the car. How do you just keep a running total of mpg and EV ratio that doesn’t reset until you reset it?

generaltso said:
AndyH said:

Understood, but the mpg and EV drive ratio are set to “Auto Reset Mode”, so they reset every time the car is parked for 4 hours. You can change it to “Manual Reset Mode”, but that’s useless because it just changes back to Auto the next time you start the car. How do you just keep a running total of mpg and EV ratio that doesn’t reset until you reset it?
Ah - sorry, you're talking about the 'phev info' functions on the center screen? I don't know. I just reset the display tonight to remove the 'auto reset' - you didn't have to tell me it wouldn't work. :lol:

AndyH said:
Ah - sorry, you're talking about the 'phev info' functions on the center screen? I don't know. I just reset the display tonight to remove the 'auto reset' - you didn't have to tell me it wouldn't work. :lol:

The mpg and EV ratio under PHEV info in the center screen is actually exactly the same info that’s displayed on the multi-info display. When you reset one, they both reset. If you switch one to Manual Reset Mode, they both switch. But the next time you start the car, they’ll both be back to Auto. It shouldn’t be this difficult!

generaltso said:

Anyone? Is there really no way to do something as basic as keep a running average of mpg?

generaltso said:
generaltso said:

Anyone? Is there really no way to do something as basic as keep a running average of mpg?
I'm using a book and pencil - that might be all we've got.

The manual mode is set by the trip meter. Therefore, if you do not reset the trip meter you will get the long term energy usage figures. I normally set trip meter A each time I fill up and use trip meter B for long term recording. The auto function is handy for short term figures.
Like AndyH I still keep a paper record of fuel fill ups as well.

Solargen said:
The manual mode is set by the trip meter. Therefore, if you do not reset the trip meter you will get the long term energy usage figures. I normally set trip meter A each time I fill up and use trip meter B for long term recording. The auto function is handy for short term figures.
Like AndyH I still keep a paper record of fuel fill ups as well.

Where would I see these long term energy usage figures? I've never reset the trip meter, but the energy usage figures are set to Auto Reset Mode, which resets them every time the car is idle for 4 hours. I can turn off Auto Reset Mode, but it just turns back on the next time I start the car.

At appears that the small centre display always reverts to displaying the latest 'auto' mpg since the last reset (which automatically happens after 4 hours of non-usage). There is a small A in a box next to the figure in the display.
The 'manual' figure is only reset when you go into the 'EV Information' screen and push the reset tab so you can effectively get a running mpg figure since the last manual reset.
If you push the Manual tab (bottom left) it will switch to the manual display (but only until the next restart). The mpg since the last manual reset will then be displayed with a small 'M' but only until the next restart when it goes back to 'A'... Very frustrating!
By the way, the two trip meters are totally separate and do not reflect anything to do with the mpg figures.
Hope this helps.

Are the miles imperial or US miles?
I wouldn't trust the accuracy, anyway, but use it a a guide for comparison.

There are too many variables to determine mpg (or m/kWh) without making assumptions. You can measure the total distance travelled and the number of kWh and gallons added during that time, but will not know what contribution each fuel has made to the distance covered.
You can sum the cost of electricity and fuel consumed, then divide that by the miles covered to determine the cost per mile. Everyone’s result will depend on the prices they’re paying and driving pattern. I’m looking at about 14.2p/mile at the moment.

Not sure I'm right but I believe the mpg counter makes no allowance for how much electricity has been used or is cost. Seeking as there's somewhere in the Mmcs to enter the cost per kW you pay I feel that they have all the information they needed to bake the eV cost into the mpg as without it out is meaningless. Just my view

VillageIdiotDan said:
Not sure I'm right but I believe the mpg counter makes no allowance for how much electricity has been used or is cost. Seeking as there's somewhere in the Mmcs to enter the cost per kW you pay I feel that they have all the information they needed to bake the eV cost into the mpg as without it out is meaningless. Just my view
I agree, but producing a 'combined' mpg requires you to know the cost of fuel as well as electricity. I do this using a simple spreadsheet, but despite the constantly-changing prices (of both), a very reasonable rule of thumb is that running on petrol costs is around 3x more expensive than electricity (in the UK - the factor is highly dependent on taxation, and then, of course, some people get their leccy for 'free').

Back