Choices for next car

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ansellrk

Hi everyone

I've had a Phev 4HS as a company car for three years and I still love it. I'm having to get rid soon and I'd like to stay with the Outlander because it does everything I need for a relatively low BIK payment.

I'm being offered a choice. A nearly new 5HS or a new 4h.

I can't see any reason for going for the 4h, the new toys don't really bother me and I prefer the wheels on the older version!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Surely, even the previous model does not have sunroof?
HS has all the 'safety toys'
5 HS has better sound system and leather (some coloured)
If the current engine is good enough, I'd go for the extra luxury and toys. Otherwise consider who is going to pay for fuel.

I've not had a company car so not sure if it is relevant to you, but if you have to pay the road tax it is going to be above the £40000 threshold on the 5HS but just below the £40000 threshold on the 4H as long as extras haven't taken it over it. That could make a lot of difference over 3 years in cost.

ansellrk said:
I can't see any reason for going for the 4h, the new toys don't really bother me and I prefer the wheels on the older version!
It seems like you have already made your decision.

I have never had a company car so please forgive my lack of knowledge but do they, or you, pay for insurance? as the 5hs will be a lower insurance group than the 4h, if they pay the insurance then as it's a lease car, go for the one that you prefer, and remember "A PHEV is for life, not just Christmas" (well 3 year lease in your case, which is a much bigger commitment than just one seasonal holiday!). Whatever you end up driving have a great new year :D

twosout said:
Surely, even the previous model does not have sunroof?
I'm not sure when the sunroof disappeared. Its absence is purely a UK marketing decision, as (e.g.) the current French range have sunroofs on the high-end versions.

Surely the difference to you in price will be the BIK? The 5hs will cost you more in tax due to its higher list price, and will it cost you more after next FY as it won’t be WLTP?
Also dependant on how you pay for fuel the 2.4l engine might make more sense (or may make it more expensive).

Thanks for all the responses.

So, my car is fully expensed which means insurance, tax, servicing and fuel are all paid for. I pay BIK on the car and fuel and that will be higher with the 5HS but it's minimal. The BIK value will be at it's highest next year and then it drops again for both the older and newer models.

I spend a lot of time in the car racking up about 27-30k per annum and the higher quality leather interior and better sound system are attractive.

Thinking about how it affects my company also. The second hand 5hs costs about £13k less than a new 4h if they purchase outright (which they often do).

Based on all that then the 5hs is the best option which I was already leaning towards.

Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated

Back