EV Mode - Purpose ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornclose

I've now had my 2019 Outlander for nearly two months, and I am yet to figure out what difference using the EV mode button actually makes.

For example;

EV Mode - car operates drive on batteries until they are depleted, then gives a message 'EV mode cancelled due to low charge state' or something like that, and starts the engine.

Normal Mode (i.e. start car and don't press EV mode button) - car operates drive on batteries until they are depleted, then starts the engine.

As far as I can gather, the only difference is the lack of the message 'EV mode cancelled due to low charge state'.

Or am I missing something ?

EV mode means you force the car in pure electric mode.

Otherwise, it's only EV priority mode. For example if outside temp is lower than 10 degree and you have heater on, engine will kick in if you dont press EV button.

Hamaudio said:
EV mode means you force the car in pure electric mode.

Otherwise, it's only EV priority mode. For example if outside temp is lower than 10 degree and you have heater on, engine will kick in if you dont press EV button.
I have not yet seen any difference between the modes in operation. We have had the outside temperature below 10 deg.C here many times so far, and I always have the heater on (climate set to 20.0 deg.C) and the engine does not start until the battery is exhausted.

Only other piece of information I can give is that I always drive in ECO mode. Not sure I have ever driven in 'non-ECO' mode since I've had the vehicle. Does this change anything ? Manual seems to suggest the heater is lower power rated and throttle response is less keen but to be honest I don't find either of these a problem

Yes, eco mode reduces the power draw from the heater. Turn off eco and engine will kick on with very little acceleration and heater.

BudRaymond said:
Yes, eco mode reduces the power draw from the heater. Turn off eco and engine will kick on with very little acceleration and heater.
I think that is more caused by remapping of the throttle than reduced power consumption by the heater. AFAIK, only A/C operation is dampened, not the heater.

cornclose said:
I have not yet seen any difference between the modes in operation. We have had the outside temperature below 10 deg.C here many times so far, and I always have the heater on (climate set to 20.0 deg.C) and the engine does not start until the battery is exhausted.

On the 2017MY's we have, if the outside temperature is 5 degrees or less, the engine will always start, irrespective of heater setting. A real pain if you are only moving it a short distance. So you develop the technique of hitting the power button, closely followed by the EV button, to get it into EV only mode.

Aside from that, the engine still starts if the outside temperature is above 5 degrees and the heater set temperature is higher - I think about 23 causes the engine to burst into life.

I have also noticed that in EV only mode, the engine only starts if you fully floor the throttle pedal and "click it down" past the "kickdown switch". Outwith EV mode, you don't have to put the throttle pedal to the floor to invoke engine start.

All on 2017MY - May be different on others.

On my older PHEV (details below) setting the heater to minimum (15°C) prevents the engine starting even at below zero outside temperatures (though it doesn't usually get as cold here as it does up your way). At other settings, the engine will start if outside temperatures are more than 10° colder than the car's setting. If I've left the heater set above minimum, I start the car with a double press of the starter button (but no foot on the brake), which then allows the temperature settings to be adjusted.

Yes, I think there must be variations depending on model year or firmware. On these 2017MY 4Work commercials, even with the heater completely off (set at 15, then "Off pressed before turning off the power), on turning the power on, the engine bursts into life unless you are pretty sharp at hitting the EV button. Too sharp and you cause the "Ready" light to not come on, and have to start the process over again. Its a bit of a winters morning game - Trying to hit the EV button at exactly the right time. :?

ChrisMiller said:
If I've left the heater set above minimum, I start the car with a double press of the starter button (but no foot on the brake), which then allows the temperature settings to be adjusted.

Ah, useful tip as I make the mad rush to get it down to 15oC in that scenario. Your approach is more logical! :)

I only need it to demist really so have bought a couple of those chamois pads which do the job nicely

Rather than fiddling with temperatures, I just turn the whole heating system off when I start. It keeps the ICE off and is much easier, especially as I don't have an EV button. Only if I need demisting do I turn the temperature down and the AC off. Heated seats are such a boon - I just wish ours had a heated steering wheel too.

ThudnBlundr said:
Rather than fiddling with temperatures, I just turn the whole heating system off when I start. It keeps the ICE off and is much easier, especially as I don't have an EV button. Only if I need demisting do I turn the temperature down and the AC off. Heated seats are such a boon - I just wish ours had a heated steering wheel too.

Yup, exactly how I handle it. I turned mine up to 15.5oC yesterday just to see how far I could get before ICE kicked in....engine turned on immediately! :) My wife and her mum know to wear an extra coat in the car and take it off when we get places lol

What version do you have Mr Blundr? - I have the heated steering wheel and must say it's very pleasant!

ThudnBlundr said:
I just wish ours had a heated steering wheel too.
Annoyingly, it only heats the lowest 1/3 of the wheel - so, unless you have a very odd driving position, it isn't much help.

On my 2018 I found the ICE would randomly start with"START/ON" pressed with my foot on the brake (well presumably not random but I couldn't guess the software reason) especially with the heater in any "ON" setting. To stop this I found "START/ON x 2" no foot on brake, then press "EV", wait a few seconds, then foot on break 3rd "START/ON", now just heavy breathing from somewhere. No ICE.

Perhaps the 2019 folks could test this work-around.

(Just noticed my location isn't shown - I am in London (Ontario, Canada), apologies)

ChrisMiller said:
ThudnBlundr said:
I just wish ours had a heated steering wheel too.
Annoyingly, it only heats the lowest 1/3 of the wheel - so, unless you have a very odd driving position, it isn't much help.

One of the reasons I got the model (Canada 2018 Touring) was for the heated steering wheel. I'm disappointed by only 1/2 of it working ... theory is that you're not supposed to have your hands at 10/2 but on the lower (heated) part of the wheel in case the airbag goes off. I don't like it ... hard to break habits after over 50 years of driving :)

I just swapped my 2016 to 2018-19 14 days ago. I did not have EV mode before. At delivery I asked the dealer about EV. As you know in the old model you could not use the last 3kw of drive battery, engine will kick in plus the usual reasons for ICE to kick in. Dealer explained in many European countries there are area of Zero emission or zero noise. This is where EV comes in , where you don't want the ICE to kick in. This is consistent with what is written in manual.
For example you return home from long journey and you are on ICE, you enter your residential area at midnight and want to sneak in quietly without disturbing anyone , press the EV.
There is a long list where EV switch will not work. Sorry you will have to look at manual. Too long to describe here.

mellobob said:
theory is that you're not supposed to have your hands at 10/2 but on the lower (heated) part of the wheel in case the airbag goes off. I don't like it ... hard to break habits after over 50 years of driving :)
I've read that, too - although the only official recommendations I can find are for hands at 9/3, whereas they'd need to be at 8/4 to get any benefit from the heated wheel. I take the point about airbags, though I've had friends who've been driving when airbags have gone off, and no hand or arm injuries resulted (only anecdata, but still ...). You've clearly got (marginally) poorer control over the car with your hands low down on the wheel - so, less likely to be injured if the airbags activate, but more likely to activate them in the first place :).

ChrisMiller said:
although the only official recommendations I can find are for hands at 9/3
9/3 is where it heats the steering wheel on my 2019 4HS, with a little either side, but not much.

Still haven't seen any difference between EV mode and none EV mode!

Back