B0, B1, ... , or B5

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch

I have a question in regards of recuperation.
Which mode are you using?

Normally, I drive short tracks in my town with a lot of stop and go. Therefor I use always B5.
It is easy to control recup with the pedal.

Does this make sens in general?

In terms of fuel/electricity consumption I think it is much of a muchness, more a question of driving style and preference than anything else. However, when driving in hilly or mountainous places, the paddles are meant to control your rate of descent.

I leave my setting at D or B2 when I set off, using the higher B settings to slow the car when needed, rather than use the actual disc brakes, returning to B2/D as I accelerate again. I feel this gives me the optimum regen benefit, with the side bonus of reducing brake wear. After 40K km of testing various B options, this seems to return the best fuel mileage for my driving routine.

I tend to use B0 on high speed roads and move up to the higher regen modes when I need to reduce speed. I can drive many miles in busy traffic without ever touching the footbrake.

There is a short stretch of road on my commute with 7 speed humps spaced about 50 yards apart. I leave the lever in B5 and don't have to brake at all, just slowing on the regen.

I find the regen shortcut very handy and use it a lot. Pull back on the joystick to go straight to B3 and again to shift to B5.

B5 is perfect for slow down in the snow / ice streets :geek:

My question is : does B5 can inflict extra pain on our weak battery ? I think it does not help for long battery live to use B5

I can't think that using B5 is any worse than using a high speed charger, but I'm not an expert on battery technology.

The other day I was driving down a small hill with the regen at B5, the display said that I had added a mile to the battery range :)

Topradio said:
I can't think that using B5 is any worse than using a high speed charger, but I'm not an expert on battery technology.

The other day I was driving down a small hill with the regen at B5, the display said that I had added a mile to the battery range :)

Chademo on our PHEV can push around 16/20kw

Regen in B5 can be above 40kw

Charging on chademo is a constant and continuous high power recharge.
Regen is normally few seconds ... but can be even quite long in a long downhill

For what I have notice, people that use B5 regularly have got their battery to degradate faster then other

The best batteries are from people which don't touch the B setting.

elm70 said:
For what I have notice, people that use B5 regularly have got their battery to degradate faster then other

This must be wrong, because even in D, if you push the break pedal, it will do up to B5 automatically.

Mitch said:
elm70 said:

This must be wrong, because even in D, if you push the break pedal, it will do up to B5 automatically.
It does not.

Mitch said:
elm70 said:

Just actually been trying this on one of the 2017MY's. According to the regen power "dial" on the dash, there is no difference in the amount of regen power absorbed whilst footbraking on B0 or footbraking on B5. Both flip it up to about 30 kW.

We have some fairly hilly country up here in Scotland, and I have rarely seen B5 only braking (no footbrake) pushing it over 30 kW. In fact, the highest it ever showed on regen was as a result of some hefty footbraking.

Mitch said:
If I look in the manual and also my dealer told me it does.
Dealers can't be trusted :lol: The manual shouldn't be trusted. Where does it say so? Maybe the my19 is different, but I am quite sure about the older models.

Has been discussed here and in other places more than once.

but you see it also on the Charge-Meter.
If you tap on the break, the meter goes up like on B5, which makes sense because breaking slowly means nothing else then regen like B1 to B5). Only if you tap hard on the pedal, it will use the conventional breaks.

On my 2015 car, B0 is nothing like B5. Pressing the brake in B0 adds at most 10kW of regen. Simply releasing the accelerator pedal in B5 adds over 30kW of regen, and pressing the brake takes it closer to (or over) 40kW.

Mitch said:
Only if you tap hard on the pedal, it will use the conventional breaks.
How do you know when this happens? FYI: I have my own set of OBD tools that allow me to actually monitor pressure in the brake line while driving, so I know EXACTLY when the brakes are applied.

ThudnBlundr said:
On my 2015 car, B0 is nothing like B5. Pressing the brake in B0 adds at most 10kW of regen. Simply releasing the accelerator pedal in B5 adds over 30kW of regen, and pressing the brake takes it closer to (or over) 40kW.
Exactly. Although ... with my battery health going sour, B5 is not what it used to be anymore, to the extend that B5 + braking has been reduced to B1 + braking. But it used to be much more. And maybe even B1 + braking is slightly less than it used to be. Hard to tell.

anko said:
Exactly. Although ... with my battery health going sour, B5 is not what it used to be anymore, to the extend that B5 + braking has been reduced to B1 + braking. But it used to be much more. And maybe even B1 + braking is slightly less than it used to be. Hard to tell.

How do you know if this is due to battery "age" ... instead of weather ?

Now in winter our battery have much higher IR, so it is normal that regen is limited

In a driving graph that you shared before winter, it was showing regen power above 35kw , and this as far as I know it is possible only above B2

elm70 said:
anko said:

How do you know if this is due to battery "age" ... instead of weather ?

Now in winter our battery have much higher IR, so it is normal that regen is limited
Because I this is not something that started recently. As a matter of fact, I first reported this issue to Mitsubishi in June this year. And previous winters, I could always notice a difference between high and low B settings. Regardless of temperature. But not anymore. And at 10 deg C it is hardly winter anyway ;)

elm70 said:
In a driving graph that you shared before winter, it was showing regen power above 35kw , and this as far as I know it is possible only above B2
Not sure when / where I did this. But are you sure it was a recent graph and not something from the past?

Back