Super Unleaded ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornclose

Has anyone trialled using Super Unleaded (95+ Octane) fuel in the Outlander PHEV ? The fuel filler flap says 95+ on it on my 2019 4HS.

I've always use Shell V-Power on my tuned turbocharged cars, but just wondered if anyone has ever done any tests on the PHEV ?

I'm using Super E10.
Not sure if this is only available in Germany. It has up to 10% Bioethanol and 95 octane.

I have a sticker at the lid, that this is okay.

If you go for some premium with more octan, thats fine. You shouldn't go below 95.

Surely 95 RON is "regular" unleaded, whilst "super unleaded" is 98 RON or greater? Apologies if I have misinterpreted this, and its different in different countries. I would read the label on the fuel flap you describe as "95 or higher", and whilst 98 is certainly higher, its probably just pouring even more money down the drain

I agree with windymiller. 87,000 miles so far and I use UK regular unleaded, V Power (or its equivalent from other brands) is a waste of money.

Don’t forget, in other parts of the world, lower octane fuel is the norm, so the label has to be there.

One of the benefits of higher "Super" fuels is that they can give higher maximum power. As the ICE in the PHEV seldom if ever runs at max power, you will see no benefit from the extra octane.

The other benefit is that the fuel contains more/better additives to stabilise it and keep your engine cleaner. This might be of benefit if you only run the ICE occasionally. But the extra cost of 10-15p per litre might be a killer. Honest John recommends it, though

ThudnBlundr said:
One of the benefits of higher "Super" fuels is that they can give higher maximum power. As the ICE in the PHEV seldom if ever runs at max power, you will see no benefit from the extra octane.

I think, this is just a myth.
Never seen any real study about this, telling it is true.

Indeed. If your high-performance car is setup for it, higher octane fuel will produce a higher maximum power, as it can do things like advance the ignition further. But many cars aren't setup for it, so you won't see a power gain. At anything less than full throttle, the gains are virtually zero even on high performance cars

Following on from the thread discussing fuel aging, I would be cautious about putting in anything that contains more bioethanol than is strictly required by law. There is a growing problem called "diesel bug" that affects diesel engines which don't have a fairly rapid turnover of fuel and is caused by micro-organisms living in the tank and consuming the "bio-diesel" that is added to the fuel. I can imagine that high levels of bioethanol in petrol could cause similar problems if the fuel is sitting in the tank for a long time.

Back