Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: How to best protect your drive battery.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:21 am 

The only time I touch the paddles is when descending a steep hill! Otherwise, the car is in "D" or "P" all the time. The fuel saving seems to be minimal and the potential to damage the battery even faster than it is damaging itself is too great to justify using regen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 am 

maby wrote:
The only time I touch the paddles is when descending a steep hill! Otherwise, the car is in "D" or "P" all the time. The fuel saving seems to be minimal and the potential to damage the battery even faster than it is damaging itself is too great to justify using regen.

If you take that to it's logical conclusion then you should really be using B0 all the time! 8-)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 SE
1997 Saab 9000 Aero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 am 

cornclose wrote:
maby wrote:

If you take that to it's logical conclusion then you should really be using B0 all the time! 8-)

I drive in Cruise Control almost all the time and that does not permit B0.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 am 

We can all drive how we want to at the end of the day, within the limitations set by the manufacturer.

I'm just pointing out that if your main concerns are not shortening the life of/damaging the battery then only using B5 when going down a steep hill is probably one of the most damaging times of all, and use of B0 for coasting does indeed indirectly save fuel/electricity as it maximises EV range whilst minimising or eliminating regen (smaller amounts of energy used to move the car and then less waste slowing the car down when in regen), thus 'protecting' battery longevity.

2001 Volvo V70 T5 SE
1997 Saab 9000 Aero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:10 pm 

Trex wrote:
greendwarf wrote:
Getting back to the title of the thread. I was wondering if use of Regen setting might effect the battery life.

I tend to drive around in B0 so I do a lot of coasting up to traffic lights etc or down gradients only stepping up to B3/B5 or using the brake pedal when eventually stopping.

There are others who leave it in B5 and do one pedal driving using mainly the accelerator to moderate speed. When they lift off to slow down then Regen kicks in and they have to press the accelerator to compensate for this.

My question is whether this later style puts more stress on the battery than my coasting? - we know that it makes very little difference to overall consumption.

Hello Mr greendwarf Sir,

I think it is something we all can agree on is the less we use our battery the better so the more we coast up to the lights the better IMO.

Any snow on the Alps over there? Wee bit warm here lately. ;)

Chilly this morning Trex but dry as a bone - not even a frost (as Maby has pointed out) unlike the real Alps - you have my sympathies :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:38 pm 

maby wrote:
I don't have the equipment to measure the health of the battery pack,

We really have to get a OBD-II scanner to look at your battery other wise we are guessing here IMO and even then without a recalibration of the BMU it is not perfect . But it would be a good start I think. If you like I could send you mine over there but that would require giving an Aussie who lives in the outback your address. ;) :lol:

maby wrote:
I still maintain that Mitsubishi should have recognised that many PHEVs were going to be used for long trips, well beyond the EV range, from time to time and had included a mode that manages battery charge levels to reduce battery degradation and ensure that the car always has a decent reserve of electrical drive for hill climbing, motorway acceleration etc. We implement this ourselves by juggling the Save and Charge buttons, but that simply should not be necessary.

I think there could be number of reasons why Mitsubishi have not done what you want and you have said this often enough. Its not as if its hard to press a button every now and again. Boy, you would have hated being a pilot IMHO. :roll:

maby wrote:

I do recognise that the Prius uses different battery technology to the Outlander, but that does not excuse Mitsubishi - if they can't get a decent life expectancy out of the battery pack, they should not have released the vehicle! I probably should have bought a Lexus RX-4nnh but the UK government had removed all the incentives for that by the time we gave up the Prius.

Ok, back to nonconstructive bashing of Mitsubishi from what I can see. Do you know the degradation on the battery on your old Prius BTW?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 pm 

jaapv wrote:
They would be wise to implement a low-cost battery refurbishment/replacement program.

Yeah, or other wise someone else will IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 pm 

greendwarf wrote:
Trex wrote:
greendwarf wrote:
Getting back to the title of the thread. I was wondering if use of Regen setting might effect the battery life.

I tend to drive around in B0 so I do a lot of coasting up to traffic lights etc or down gradients only stepping up to B3/B5 or using the brake pedal when eventually stopping.

There are others who leave it in B5 and do one pedal driving using mainly the accelerator to moderate speed. When they lift off to slow down then Regen kicks in and they have to press the accelerator to compensate for this.

My question is whether this later style puts more stress on the battery than my coasting? - we know that it makes very little difference to overall consumption.

Hello Mr greendwarf Sir,

I think it is something we all can agree on is the less we use our battery the better so the more we coast up to the lights the better IMO.

Any snow on the Alps over there? Wee bit warm here lately. ;)

Chilly this morning Trex but dry as a bone - not even a frost (as Maby has pointed out) unlike the real Alps - you have my sympathies :oops:

No worries Mr greendwarf Sir. I will survive. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 am 

Ok finally found this:

Trex wrote:
Ok just did a quick test this morning. It was on the same test section I did this test.

Trex wrote:
Hi folks,

This will be the last test I will do for awhile. I hope it helps everyone. :)

I picked the flattest area around here ( and it is very flat across the river valley here) on the dual lane freeway (in each direction) that runs past our small city. It is made up of approx. 12kms of 100kph zone and 10km of 110kph zone. I picked that stretch for its easy turn around at each end as well as being flat.

So the test consisted of driving in one direction then the other followed by a quick turnaround at each end. Traffic was light. I sat on 105kph . I used cruise control the whole time except at each end when I was turning around.

Now this is the same as I did the other night but more scientifically ie I ran both directions fully before taking measurements to allow for any wind or elevation changes. I have not, I repeat not done that before. :oops:

Here are the results.

Press save button straight at start with full battery. 15 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.8L/100k Petrol motor never stopped. B5 15kw

Press Save at 13 bars. 14 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.8L/100k Petrol motor never stopped. B5 25kw

Press Save at 11 bars. 12 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.4L/100k Petrol motor stopped a couple of times B5 37kw

Press Save at 8 bars. 9 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.4L/100k Petrol motor stopped a couple of times. B5 37kw

Press Save at 7 bars. 8 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.4L/100k Petrol motor stopped a couple of times. B5 37kw

Press Save at 6 bars. 7 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.4L/100k Petrol motor stopped a couple of times. B5 37kw

Press Save at 4 bars. 5 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.2L/100k Petrol motor stopped like a proper hybrid. B5 37kw

At 1 bars (normal mode). 1 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.2L/100k Petrol motor stopped like a proper hybrid. B5 37kw

Note No AC or heater on.

Note The B5 amounts are Regen that I could get at the end of the runs with the paddles set to B5 when turning around.

Note Where I said the petrol motor never stopped it only stopped at each end of the run where I turned around.

Note Where the Petrol motor stopped I read it at the same point of the hybrid cycle.

Regards Trex.

Well now we have EVBatmon (Thanks guys) we have some more tools I wish I had when I did that previous test.

Now anko may have shown some graph that shows this somewhere around here and if he does this backs that up. 8-)

So back out on the highway I went and got these results.

15 bars (out of 16) showing on the MMCS battery gauge Generator Power 6.1 kW approx. on EVBatmon. Pressed save right at the start for this one.
14 bars (out of 16) showing on the MMCS battery gauge Generator Power 7.7 kW approx. on EVBatmon.
13 bars (out of 16) showing on the MMCS battery gauge Generator Power 8.1 kW approx. on EVBatmon.
12 bars (out of 16) showing on the MMCS battery gauge Generator Power 9.6 kW approx. on EVBatmon.
10 bars (out of 16) showing on the MMCS battery gauge Generator Power 10.8 kW approx. on EVBatmon.
8 bars (out of 16) showing on the MMCS battery gauge Generator Power 14.0 kW approx. on EVBatmon.
6 bars (out of 16) showing on the MMCS battery gauge Generator Power 16.9 kW approx. on EVBatmon.

Now I stopped there as my wife wanted the car soon and I wanted to leave her some battery showing her I am such a nice guy. ;)

Anyhow, I think, it shows that the car is more efficient with a lower battery SOC just like my previous test.

Regards Trex.

ps added 15 out 16 bars ie pressed save at the start of turning on the PHEV.

Will tidy this up later. Got to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6