Android 9 and the remote app

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhals

Evening all

Has anyone else encountered issues with connecting their android device to the car using the app after upgrading to Android 9. My phone (Huawei) updated the OS on Wednesday and my app suddenly stopped being able to connect. The first time I went to use it I got a message stating "This app was built for an older version of Android and may not work properly. Try checking for updates, or contact the developer.".

I've de-registered all devices, reinstalled the app but no joy. When attempting to register on the app, the SSID list is empty. Luckily I have an old phone using an old version of android which connecting with no problem. Very strange.

markhals said:
Evening all

Has anyone else encountered issues with connecting their android device to the car using the app after upgrading to Android 9. My phone (Huawei) updated the OS on Wednesday and my app suddenly stopped being able to connect. The first time I went to use it I got a message stating "This app was built for an older version of Android and may not work properly. Try checking for updates, or contact the developer.".

I've de-registered all devices, reinstalled the app but no joy. When attempting to register on the app, the SSID list is empty. Luckily I have an old phone using an old version of android which connecting with no problem. Very strange.

Probably hacked by the Chinese government :lol:

I have exactly the same problem.
I have emailed the developer but don't expect any response.
The PHEV I app shows the SSIDs but don't know if it will connect as it is for 14 digit password.

Kesto said:
Have you got an old phone? android? that will connect

Yes that's my current work around but it's not ideal. Emailed mitsubishi but not expecting anything back. Will try the 1 app to see if it works when I get some spare time today. Mitsubishi don't make it easy do they!

Hi Marshals, I have tried everything , dealer , Samsung , this website - nothing worked. I also spoke the Samsung service centre , there is an update called Creo I think which is the problem. You will have to use the old phone unless you change car to 2018-19 model and use PHEV II app.

Kesto said:
Hi Marshals, I have tried everything , dealer , Samsung , this website - nothing worked. I also spoke the Samsung service centre , there is an update called Creo I think which is the problem. You will have to use the old phone unless you change car to 2018-19 model and use PHEV II app.

Hi Kesto, I actually received a response from the app developer (Japanese Mitsubishi) which is as follows:

Your device is Android 8.0 or later you cannot use "OUTLANDER PHEV I" app. If so, we recommend you to receive a Service Campaign, “Improvement regarding third party's access to the Mitsubishi Remote Control on the Outlander PHEV" from your nearby Mitsubishi dealership and carry out registration again by using "OUTLANDER PHEV I" application which supports Android 8.0.or later

I think they mean the dealer needs to perform a software upgrade and give me a 14 character password to replace my 10 character password, and then I'll be able to use the I app. My car is due in to have the safety recalls in March so will contact the service centre soon to see what they say and whether they have heard of this. So frustrating that they can't release an update for the original app!

Update - contacted Milton Keynes Mitsubishi. The guy on the phone knew about the wifi password and said an update can be added onto my safety recalls. The car is due in on 6th March so fingers crossed they can sort me out with a new password!

It's something with how Android treats wifi networks without internet access.

Put the phone in Flightmode and then enable WiFi (still in flight mode).
Then try to connect.

Works for me.

Still the worst app I've ever used...

I just had a quick go with mine, as I haven't needed the app since upgrading to Pie some weeks ago. I have a Oneplus 5T and the 14 character password version of the app.

Mine connected fine, and there was a second, slightly different, warning message once connection was successful. I clicked on Cancel and used it without any issues.

I'd recommend three steps:

• Reset the WiFi in the car by using the hazard lights and 20 click method.
    Make sure that you're running the very latest version of Pie (9.0.2 sorted out some WiFi issues).
    Turn off all options in Settings, Wireless & Internet, Wireless, Wireless Preferences. This step may not be needed, but I found all of the activated features to be superfluous to my needs.

bbb

Thanks BBB but this is for people who have the first app and the ten character password. I'll need my password upgraded to a 14 character one i think before I can get any further.

Yep, I appreciate that mate - but even once you've done so, you'll probably benefit from those steps. Android Pie handles WiFi quite differently to Oreo.

karl said:
It's something with how Android treats wifi networks without internet access.

Put the phone in Flightmode and then enable WiFi (still in flight mode).
Then try to connect.

Works for me.

Still the worst app I've ever used...

Works for me as well !

The app is not that bad, all the options seems to work very well... but i would love to see more capabilities!
Would be nice to see all the statistics available in the car.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I'm a happy owner of a white 2018 model since June last year.

I've got the same problem after upgrading my Huawei P20, and it's sort of good to see that I'm not alone. I got the tip to forget/delete the home network and then try to connect to the car wifi, and this worked perfectly. The disadvantage is of course that I need to manually connect to the home network again after exiting the remote control app, including entering the password, so I will try the other possible solutions presented here and keep the forum posted!

regards, Per Annar Sandaune

Back