Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is a charge point necessary/worth it?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 am 

elm70 wrote:
Most probably your car get fully charge around 2am .. which is sub-ideal ..

Not if I leave at 02:30 !! :lol:

I could adjust the on time to give me the 5-5.5 hours full charge, but I'm not always fully empty..

Ideally, I could get the SOC from the car and then calculate the time required to reach full charge, then work back from there..! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 am 

cornclose wrote:
It should be easy to set up routing from your normal home/work network to be able to connect to the Outlander WiFi;

1. Install a WiFi Access Point close to the Outlander, with the same SSID and password as the Outlander's, and set it up in 'repeater'/'extender' mode so that it connects wirelessly to the Outlander (depending on the AP, it may be required to set it up in 'router' mode, with the WiFi as the 'internet'/'red' interface, but this is not possible on all routers/AP's..)
2. At the cable side (Ethernet RJ-45) of the Access Point, have this connected to your existing home/work network with a static IP.
3. On your main home/office router, set up a static route to the subnet of the Outlander's WiFi network (192.168.8.x if I recall correctly..) specifying the gateway as the static IP address of the new Access Point (item 1/2 above).
4. Connect your phone to the WiFi of your home/work as usual, launch the Mitsubishi app, connect to the car as usual from anywhere you are connected to your WiFi.

This is something I will be doing shortly as the range of the Outlander's AP is abysmal..

You could, if you wanted, install an AP inside the Outlander itself, with a 3G/4G SIM, and configure to access the Outlander from anywhere in the world, although this would be more involved.

I believe this must be easy for you.

I like to hack a bit with routers, I'm using some static IP address in my home WiFi for my custom home server (cabled to the WiFi router) ... but I believe you are on a different league

Time ago I got multiple WiFi repeaters for trying to extend the range of my old Bebop Parrot (only the weakest repeater was compatible :oops: ) ... maybe one of them could be used as per your point 1 ... but ... I'm not enough passionate over the PHEV WiFi apps ... the constrains on the programmable timers is already a show stopper for invest my time on trying to use this apps outside its original scope.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:21 am 

cornclose wrote:
elm70 wrote:
Most probably your car get fully charge around 2am .. which is sub-ideal ..

Not if I leave at 02:30 !! :lol:

I could adjust the on time to give me the 5-5.5 hours full charge, but I'm not always fully empty..

Ideally, I could get the SOC from the car and then calculate the time required to reach full charge, then work back from there..! :mrgreen:

8-)

I had before a simple cheap timer switch .. and it was programmed mainly to give power every time the electricity was cheap (10pm to 6am, and 1pm to 3pm)

Still .. with time I changed that power was provided only after midnight, since at 6am the car will be fully charged without any issue.

I don't know how often you use your car at 2:30am ... but maybe it is more effective to set the timer to have the car fully charged at 8am or whatever time in the morning you use the car.

Possibly there is still the weekend different pattern usage of the car ... that might make things more complicated

Eventually ... they need to put some AI in the PHEV .. and the car should learn the usage pattern .. and define automatically when to charge the car and up to which level :mrgreen: ... or even better make a battery that does not have problem to be left fully charged

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am 

elm70 wrote:
the constrains on the programmable timers is already a show stopper for invest my time on trying to use this apps outside its original scope.

elm70 wrote:
Possibly there is still the weekend different pattern usage of the car ... that might make things more complicated

These things are actually very easy once you have smart switch which can be programmed to turn on and off depending on multiple conditions, one of the main reasons I installed it. The other main reason is to know how many kWh I am stuffing into the car..

I will certainly be adjusting my schedules to arrive at a full charge nearer to the time I use the vehicle though. Unfortunately I sometimes do have very early starts, such as leaving for an early flight.. etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:50 pm 

Quote:

I will certainly be adjusting my schedules to arrive at a full charge nearer to the time I use the vehicle though.

What difference does it make when the charge cycle finishes?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:24 am 

Elm70 mentioned it on page 3, that it's tough on the battery health to start charging immediately on your return, and also tough on your battery to make it hold full charge for too long.

I'm going to take it as fact as nobody has jumped on him for the statement :)

My routine is too broken to factor in how long I charge but I've set up a 2am to 6am charge now. My challenge is what I do when we come back from friends this morning and need it later in the day. I guess I go on the app and override the timer which I'm cool with but my wife isn't quite so invested in.

As it's the baby car now and she'll be driving more I think I'm going to just charge it at the first opportunity as I have been and except the battery SOH.

UK MY16 4HS in Grey