I finally got to drive the PHEV again!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy New Year! One more opportunity to drive PHEV!
It is raining now, meaning snowing at mountains! Tomorrow morning, I will drive the PHEV in snow for the first time. With the Toyo tires (M+S), I would not need chain on tires (still need to carry chains just to show the CHP, if needed). Two more “keys” to learn on this “piano”: traction control and 4WD lock. It will be fun!

Tai

anko said:
Tai626 said:
-need more time to practice “piano” (per Anko): charge, EV, cruise, B0 to B5, displays, etc..that a lot of “keys” to learn how to play. Even if I get to play it well, probably I am just entertaining myself with no noticeable fuel economy.
It does become a bit boring to drive the car having no buttons to push. Probably that is the biggest motivator for playing the piano indeed :lol:

My manly truck, oops Ute, is a manual shift. I am used to keep both hands and feet busy maintaining 80mph on the road in California (climbing 4.5% hills at 5000rpm!)

Now with this PHEV there are lots more keys to keep my hands busy. Not so much for the feet...barely use brake now!

Tai

Trex said:
anko said:
Trex said:
As a person that even anko might say has done a bit of testing fuel economy on the PHEV the only thing I would say is just try to avoid Series mode ie try to be in EV mode on the slow bits. If that includes using Charge mode (or Save mode ) on the fast sections (when in Parallel mode) so be it.
I am with you there. On both accounts ;-)

Hi anko, good that someone around here remembers those tests I did on fuel economy. ;)

Happy New Year. :)

Happy New Year!

No “Cereal” mode for me. Thank you for all the testing.

I have noticed that when going downhill, the parallel mode maintain (engine on, “charge off” with regen set (B0). I had to increase the regen to B1 or sometimes B2 so the engine would turn it off.

The analogy is driving the manual shift ute going down hill. I put the shift in neutral to avoid the engine brake and keep the momentum. (I was advised to NOT to do so in my early year of driving but forgot the reason...front wheel drive car loosing the steering control, maybe?)

Tai

Tai626 said:
Happy New Year!

No “Cereal” mode for me. Thank you for all the testing.

I have noticed that when going downhill, the parallel mode maintain (engine on, “charge off” with regen set (B0). I had to increase the regen to B1 or sometimes B2 so the engine would turn it off.

The analogy is driving the manual shift ute going down hill. I put the shift in neutral to avoid the engine brake and keep the momentum. (I was advised to NOT to do so in my early year of driving but forgot the reason...front wheel drive car loosing the steering control, maybe?)

Tai

Happy New Year to you as well. :)

Cereal. :lol:

You have to remember that at about 130 kph (about 80 mph) from memory the petrol motor never stops ie no more EV mode . Were you going at that speed?

No snow drive for me, yet...
Maybe on next weekend.

I was around 70mph (112kph) down hill when B2 was needed to shutdown the engine. Next time, I will just leave at B0 and see how long the ICE will be on in parallel mode (engine brake?)

Sometimes, I wish there is a limiter so I can run EV for just a short stretch in California highway. It is a motivation to not burn any gas (petrol) in a short drive and, as a bonus, keep me under the posted speed limit (70mph). I’ve tried cruise mode but somehow when set speed to 75mph, it cancel the “EV on” and turn on the engine.

Really need more time with PHEV. Is there any simulator around?

Tai

Tai626 said:
No snow drive for me, yet...
Maybe on next weekend.

I was around 70mph (112kph) down hill when B2 was needed to shutdown the engine. Next time, I will just leave at B0 and see how long the ICE will be on in parallel mode (engine brake?)

Sometimes, I wish there is a limiter so I can run EV for just a short stretch in California highway. It is a motivation to not burn any gas (petrol) in a short drive and, as a bonus, keep me under the posted speed limit (70mph). I’ve tried cruise mode but somehow when set speed to 75mph, it cancel the “EV on” and turn on the engine.

Really need more time with PHEV. Is there any simulator around?

Tai

So no save or charge selected?

"I’ve tried cruise mode but somehow when set speed to 75mph, it cancel the “EV on” and turn on the engine." Ok that is probably the speed of your PHEV where you cannot EV any more.

"Really need more time with PHEV. Is there any simulator around?" Not as far as I know but if you find one let me know so I can "drive" the PHEV more. ;) :lol:

Just got 500miles in a day! At cost of a pair of silver pearls studs for wife to compensate her suffering for driving her own car (RAV4) all day yesterday. Driving this PHEV is costing me more $ than I thought...

Here is some discoveries:

Indeed Cruise control cancel the EV mode BUT it will maintain EV up to 80mph (130kph) no charge/save pressed. The B2 is automatic too. Can’t change to B0/B1 but can go to B3/4/5.

At 80mph (130kph) the drag almost cancel the gravity in the deepest hill on the way. I saw some 85mph without ICE on. Interestingly, even at B0, the battery was charged. Very little (I read somewhere of 2kW/Motor. Motor brake?) The regen meter only registered 0.3kWh all trip.

Accelerate from 80mph (130kph) to 100mph (160kph) is amazing: responsive and no extra noise.

A little hiccup: on the way up from 300 feet (100m) above sea level to 4000feet (1300m), the original tank couldn’t get me to Las Vegas (250miles) without a pit stop! The topping off strategy would have been handy...

I like the driving. It is comfortable and fun. But small tank and comparable mpg as RAV4 at this speed (23mpg or 10L per 100km), I will think twice before take PHEV to Las Vegas next time...

Tai

As said in other threads, Mitsubishi only expected the Outlander PHEV to be driven up to about 120kmh/75mph so designed the various gear ratios and mode change points with that in mind. So I'm pleasantly surprised at how good you've found it is at speeds well in excess of that.

Hello fellow Truckie, ;)

Tai626 said:
Just got 500miles in a day! At cost of a pair of silver pearls studs for wife to compensate her suffering for driving her own car (RAV4) all day yesterday. Driving this PHEV is costing me more $ than I thought...

:lol: :lol: Yes, if your wife is like mine silver pearls studs would have helped her suffering I think.

Tai626 said:
Indeed Cruise control cancel the EV mode BUT it will maintain EV up to 80mph (130kph) no charge/save pressed. The B2 is automatic too. Can’t change to B0/B1 but can go to B3/4/5.
Now for me on ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) I can EV up to at least 117 kph indicated ( approx 112 kph GPS on my PHEV ) which is about 73mph which is about as fast as I would push it here in a 110 kph zone here. Radar detectors were banned years ago here and we have a heavy presence of highway patrol and radar cameras.

Tai626 said:
A little hiccup: on the way up from 300 feet (100m) above sea level to 4000feet (1300m), the original tank couldn’t get me to Las Vegas (250miles) without a pit stop! The topping off strategy would have been handy...

I like the driving. It is comfortable and fun. But small tank and comparable mpg as RAV4 at this speed (23mpg or 10L per 100km), I will think twice before take PHEV to Las Vegas next time...

Tai

Las Vegas. Good place to visit IMO. Been there twice and drove myself and my family in hire cars from Los Angeles. Stayed at the MGM Grand because it gave the family that big pool on top to swim in. Now from memory it has 70 mph speed limit even in the Nevada section. Drove at the speed limit (GPS) and sat in the slow lane unless overtaking slower vehicles which from memory was quite a bit including trucks, Winnebago Vans and some other cars etc. Do not remember getting the finger once from disgruntled motorists.

Now at that speed my PHEV would return about 8 lts/100km if I left the battery at about 85% SOC. At a lower charge it can go as low as about 7.5 lts/100km. So if I really wanted to push through the warnings the PHEV gives me I could go approx 600 kms with a little reserve not climbing a mountain range. That is far enough for me.

Regards Trex.

My first drive from LA to Las Vegas was 17 years ago, in the manly Ute. Same 80mph (130kph) and topping 95mph (150kph) all odometer speed. It has the V6 4.2L engine and...
15.3367 mpg (15.3367 L/100km, just playing a litte with numbers). The 20ga (75L) of fuel tank allows me to drive non stop all the way to Vegas. Looks like I am still taking unnecessary risk after getting married and having two daughters...

On this week, I have noted there were a couple of Tesla Model 3 going slow in the right lane. If I were driving Tesla to Las Vegas and don’t want to stop, I would be surely at 70mph or less seeking for maximum efficiency. Even the long range 310miles (500km) version, there is not much margin for a 250-mile (400km) trip, going uphill and heater on. PHEV have more options...

Next time I will slow down to 70mph (112kph) to see the difference on the efficiency and, hopefully, to grow my wisdom by driving slower. I predict the same 8L/100km or less (possible more significant regen going down hill). Or I will just go 80mph (130kph) again and see if I get better efficiency once the engine is breaking in...It is has less than 1000miles before this trip.

Tai

Ps. I was in the monorail and it actually goes on top and thru MGM (and other pools) in the back of hotel...I bet in the summer, the view is much better!

Back