Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow Chains
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:04 am 

Has anyone used snow chains on a 2018 in the United States? I live in California and we are required to carry chains in the vehicle even with 4WD. The owner's manual says not to use chains and I can't get an answer from the dealer. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Snow Chains
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:28 am 

Same in some parts of the Alps in France - but no need to actually use them just carry. So a bit of extra weight to carry around, that's all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:55 am 

Seeing that it is more than unlikely that you will ever need them, if you use decent winter tyres, just get the cheapest used ones you can find. The PHEV can take normal chains without problem, though. the same in all Alpine countries, not just France

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:35 am 

I have seen R3 controls (chains required on all vehicles with no exceptions) imposed once. So it IS possible that you will have to put them on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:39 am 

This is the advice for my UK diesel in the manual

If snow traction device (tyre chains) have to
be used, ensure that they are fitted only on
the drive wheels (front) in accordance with
the manufacturer’s instructions.
On 4WD vehicles in which the driving power
is distributed preferentially to the front
wheels, ensure that the snow traction device
(tyre chains) are fitted on the front.
Use only snow traction device (tyre chains)
which are designed for use with the tyres
mounted on the vehicle: use of the incorrect
size or type of snow traction device (tyre
chains) could result in damage to the vehicle
body

It quotes a max size of 9mm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm 

So, I tried to escalate this to the corporate level and could not get past their customer service representatives via telephone or an email. The bottom line from corporate is that chains cannot be put on the PHEV only the standard Outlander. They would not even let me talk with someone to make the suggestion for future PHEV models that are imported into the United States. I love the car but as far as this concern goes, their Customer Service really sucks. They have probably lost me as a customer when my lease runs out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:06 pm 

Okay I took a look at the actual page in the manual (9-19) that mentions tire chains. What it says is that tire chains (and by tire chains it means the traditional link type chains) cannot be used because there isn't enough clearance and they'll hit parts of the body/frame when you turn the tire from side to side. The exact quote is: "Tire chains cannot be used on your vehicle. The clearance between the chains and the body is not sufficient to allow proper clearance, and the vehicle body might be damaged."

It should be noted that cables are NOT chains! In fact, there are all types of snow traction products that meet SAE Class S requirements (which are specifically designed for vehicles with restricted clearances). These are the products that we'd want to use. Here's an example of one (note that this product does not require very much clearance around the tire, certainly much less than traditional chains with links): https://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/tr ... s/super-z/

By the way, if you chain up, put chains on ALL 4 wheels. The law requires just one axle (the driven axle) but these are AWD vehicles and both axles are driven, and though the law doesn't require you to chain all 4, having only 2 wheels chained is extremely dangerous, particularly if you put them up front. It's pretty easy to spin/fishtail if you hit a patch of ice at the wrong time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:35 pm 

chrisuk wrote:
This is the advice for my UK diesel in the manual

If snow traction device (tyre chains) have to
be used, ensure that they are fitted only on
the drive wheels (front) in accordance with
the manufacturer’s instructions.
On 4WD vehicles in which the driving power
is distributed preferentially to the front
wheels, ensure that the snow traction device
(tyre chains) are fitted on the front.
Use only snow traction device (tyre chains)
which are designed for use with the tyres
mounted on the vehicle: use of the incorrect
size or type of snow traction device (tyre
chains) could result in damage to the vehicle
body

It quotes a max size of 9mm
The Diesel version is a different car, not relevant on this forum.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 pm 

STS134 wrote:
Okay I took a look at the actual page in the manual (9-19) that mentions tire chains. What it says is that tire chains (and by tire chains it means the traditional link type chains) cannot be used because there isn't enough clearance and they'll hit parts of the body/frame when you turn the tire from side to side. The exact quote is: "Tire chains cannot be used on your vehicle. The clearance between the chains and the body is not sufficient to allow proper clearance, and the vehicle body might be damaged."

It should be noted that cables are NOT chains! In fact, there are all types of snow traction products that meet SAE Class S requirements (which are specifically designed for vehicles with restricted clearances). These are the products that we'd want to use. Here's an example of one (note that this product does not require very much clearance around the tire, certainly much less than traditional chains with links): https://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/tr ... s/super-z/

By the way, if you chain up, put chains on ALL 4 wheels. The law requires just one axle (the driven axle) but these are AWD vehicles and both axles are driven, and though the law doesn't require you to chain all 4, having only 2 wheels chained is extremely dangerous, particularly if you put them up front. It's pretty easy to spin/fishtail if you hit a patch of ice at the wrong time.
Strangely enough, snow chains are allowed on the PHEV in Europe, albeit with restrictions on the thickness. If you actually look under the car, there is plenty of clearance, except with the steering at full lock. The answer is simple: don't use full lock in snow with chains on, something you wouldn't do anyway.
I think the USA restriction is caused by you guys living in litigator's paradise.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 pm 

jaapv wrote:
STS134 wrote:

Strangely enough, snow chains are allowed on the PHEV in Europe, albeit with restrictions on the thickness. If you actually look under the car, there is plenty of clearance, except with the steering at full lock. The answer is simple: don't use full lock in snow with chains on, something you wouldn't do anyway.
I think the USA restriction is caused by you guys living in litigator's paradise.

Just use SAE Class S products, like the Z Chain or the Super Z. It's super easy to install and remove, way easier than traditional chains. I can get them on in around 30 seconds/tire.