Steering wheel wobble

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollycat

3 year old car, 4Hs - recently we've noticed a wobble on the steering, regardless of speed. It isn't pulling to one side, and the tyres are wearing evenly, so isn't tracking. A mechanic friend thinks it could be a warped driveshaft. Anyone heard of this? Need to get it identified before the warranty expires!

It could be any number of things, though I've never heard of a warped driveshaft. I would eliminate all the likely answers before going for something less likely.

As above, check for balance
Are all the tyres round? No bulges or cracks?
How is the tracking? Have you had a 4-wheel alignment done?

I have a 4 wheel geometry check 3 times a year after every service - it is always out and the car is transformed by doing it.

I use Tyre City in Luton, but they are a national chain, the check is free and they will show you what needs correcting before they fix it. Its about £80 (I have an 'as many checks as I want in 2 years' for £200) - it's worth every penny!!

Normally tracking is not a cause for wobble. it is nearly always caused by an unbalanced wheel or a tyre defect. The drive shaft is a rather unlikely cause.
Did you hit a kerb and knock a wheel out of true?

jaapv said:
Normally tracking is not a cause for wobble. it is nearly always caused by an unbalanced wheel or a tyre defect. The drive shaft is a rather unlikely cause.
Did you hit a kerb and knock a wheel out of true?

Did I hit a kerb!? Have you seen some of the potholes in the UK?

Tyres being changed this afternoon. Also noted it's worse when 4WD is locked.

Back