Stuck in "Charge" mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateM

Hello, I am a new owner of a 2014 Outlander Phev Aspire. We bought it from a auction site as an ex government vehicle. We have a service booked in at a Mitshibishi service centre but cant get it booked in for 2.5wks. The "Charge" is always on the screen and the battery never seems to empty in either normal or eco mode. Neither the Charge or Save button seems to change it. Anyone had experience of this and knows how to fix it? Thanks Kate

KateM said:
Hello, I am a new owner of a 2014 Outlander Phev Aspire. We bought it from a auction site as an ex government vehicle. We have a service booked in at a Mitshibishi service centre but cant get it booked in for 2.5wks. The "Charge" is always on the screen and the battery never seems to empty in either normal or eco mode. Neither the Charge or Save button seems to change it. Anyone had experience of this and knows how to fix it? Thanks Kate

If the car believe the fuel is older then 3 months, the PHEV force to consume fuel instead of running in EV mode

Assuming this is the problem ... switch off the car ... unplug the 12v battery for 1 minute ... plug it back ... and this old fuel issue should be solved
Other option .. is to add 15L of fuel from the tank station.

Thanks so much. I will fill up tomorrow anyway and give it a try. It could have been sitting at the auction house for some time before we purchased, as nothing fast happens in government here. I spoke to a guy who has one who also sells EV car chargers etc. he has the same model phev and he says he has gone 5000km without needing to refill so if it is old fuel I am not sure why it hasn't happen to him?

KateM said:
Thanks so much. I will fill up tomorrow anyway and give it a try. It could have been sitting at the auction house for some time before we purchased, as nothing fast happens in government here. I spoke to a guy who has one who also sells EV car chargers etc. he has the same model phev and he says he has gone 5000km without needing to refill so if it is old fuel I am not sure why it hasn't happen to him?

I got on my PHEV, that the car did start the ICE immediately with full battery, because of "old" fuel. (But there was a special message on the dash, if I recall right)
It is not about of Km done, but about time ... I think the limit was set to 3 months, but maybe it has been made longer on latest models or firmware

If this is not due to a fuel issue ... possibly is some sticky button ... or some malfunction on reading a key pressed on the dash .. it should be relative easy to fix in case for the service.

In my case few times I disconnect the 12v battery in my PHEV for avoid this limitation on old fuel .. I know somebody is against on keeping old fuel in the tank .. but for me .. a 6/9 months old fuel in a sealed tank in the car is not an issue .

I am in that mode twice per year, so in my car it must be set to:

"If fuel used, in six months, is less than x, switch to charge mode."

There is a message that you can get on screen by pressing the page button next to the dashboard instruments. The message is something like: "Engine started to maintain fuel system."

I'm now thinking that this "secret knowledge" may be a way to buy PHEV's cheap at government auctions. A couple of friends of mine are waiting for more to turn up, so I'll alert them to this.

:lol:

Holding the charge button down for 10 seconds or so will force the engine to start...it's for engine maintenance, testing, etc....similarly holding in down for 10 seconds or so when the engine has been forced to run...will stop it. ;)

Is there an official reason for this, ie bad firmware etc adding 15L of gas solved our problem today, just curious.

crossi007 said:
Is there an official reason for this, ie bad firmware etc adding 15L of gas solved our problem today, just curious.
To prevent your engine from being destroyed by stale gas? Unless you put fuel stabilizer in the tank, trying to override this feature by disconnecting the battery is stupid.

Back