Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Want to drive in EV mode only
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 am 

AintBigAintClever wrote:

Given JLR's reliability, I wouldn't count on it. The Range Rover electrical troubleshooting manual alone runs to over 1,000 pages. Chatting to a colleague at Christmas he pointed out that during the 14 years I'd owned a Lexus GS300 he'd gone through three Freelanders, one of which ruined its own engine thanks to the bearings shifting and blocking the oilways, another which blew out its hydraulic suspension pipes on the way to trade-in.

With a JLR people can opt for an extended bumper 2 bumper warranty up to 10y and 100k miles ... so 10 years of schools runs can be secured ;)

PS: I did own multiple car brands in multiple years ... Ford / Renault / VW / BMW / Alfa Romeo / Fiat / Dacia / Mitsubishi / Aixam ... I have to said all of them have been reliable .. maybe the biggest problem I had was on VW Passat which the electronic got a bit crazy and it decide to block me to using the car lights and wipers, until I visit a VW service.. all mayor car producers have almost 100y of history on making cars, I would expect all to have in these days a good knowledge about how to make reliable cars ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 am 

I keep the A/C in "Auto" mode, but set the temperature to +15.5C. Then it usually doesn't start the ICE especially if preheating has been used.

+15.5C in auto mode sets the fan automatically to minimum. If I set temp to +15.0C, fan goes to max blow. Apparently at 15.0 car thinks that user really wants a cool car and tries to blow at max. :)

Then when driving, you can use MMCS Info->Trip display to see how much kW the heater is taking. If it drops below 3kW, you can add another +0.5C to the heater and ICE will not start. This way the temperature can be gradually rised all the way to +20C or perhaps even higher. :)

Oh and I have set cooling to "Manual" in the vehicle settings. So there is no chance it would start cooling the car to 15.5C if I have pre-heated it hotter.. :)

I did order a PHEVbox with ICEheaterStop, but it hasn't arrived yet.. Would be great if that removes the need for heat adjustment trickery.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:13 am 

Zuikkis wrote:
+15.5C in auto mode sets the fan automatically to minimum. If I set temp to +15.0C, fan goes to max blow. Apparently at 15.0 car thinks that user really wants a cool car and tries to blow at max. :)
Maybe it does. But unlike heat, the ICE cannot provide cold. Consequently, where the car may start the ICE when heating is demanded, the car will not start the ICE when cooling is demanded.