Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Charging at home questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 am 

I find that if I plug in the charger a long time after the charge timer starts, it doesn't always start to charge. I do wonder if the car is "asleep" and needs to be "roused" before charging will start: even pressing the Start button and going into Ready mode won't do it. It will next time the charge timer kicks in the following day, if left.

When I first set a pre-heat timer, the heater worked fine, but the car didn't charge. I now always set the charge timer to come on at the same time as the pre-heat, and that's always worked for me. I'm lucky that I can be fully charged before midnight, but I guess you could set the charge timer to come on some time before the heating starts, as long as it hasn't "gone to sleep" by then.

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 am 

AndyBrook wrote:
1. Once the battery is fully charged does the charging system consume any power?

The 10A 3-Pin (UK) charger from my 2019 4HS consumes 2.4W once the car is fully charged. So like a TV on standby, perhaps. So at a typical unit rate of 0.15p/kWh, if the car is left plugged in and not charging for typically 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, it'll cost you about £1.05 a year in 'wasted' electricity.

2001 Volvo V70 T5 SE
1997 Saab 9000 Aero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm 

I always leave mine plugged into the garage into a mechanical timer (as we have a cheaper off peak tariff overnight). I do it this way because I found that, if you set the timer on the MMC to only charge at night, if you plug into a 3-pin charger during the day then it won't charge until you disable it through the app.

Over the weekend, the car was in the garage and I had the charger plugged directly into a socket (no mechanical timer). With the car fully charged, whenever I went into the garage the car started charging! It was 100% charged each time, but the charger cycled. The car was unlocked and I didn't have the keys with me. All I can think is that switching the garage light on 'alerted' the car, causing a dip in battery levels?

Any ideas?