How to charge PHEV quickly?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you please send a picture of yours?

My German one has no option to change and is only using 8A max.
My line is only for the PHEV with a 16A fuse on a 16A CEE socket/cable.

alex101 said:
Thank you everyone for answering my question.
Here is what I've found:
My charging cable has 2 modes: 6A and 12A.
I was trying to change the mode when car was plugged and it did not work.
If I plug the cable and then press the Power button, it allows to change mode from 6A to 12A.
Problem solved.

I am thinking to get a Level 2 charger which is 30A to get a quicker charge at home.
Current cost is CAD 800 and $600 to install.
Wouldn't it be simpler to change your charging routine? If you charge your car whilst you have your night's sleep or during working hours it does not really matter how long it takes.

alex101 said:
Thank you everyone for answering my question.
Here is what I've found:
My charging cable has 2 modes: 6A and 12A.
I was trying to change the mode when car was plugged and it did not work.
If I plug the cable and then press the Power button, it allows to change mode from 6A to 12A.
Problem solved.

I am thinking to get a Level 2 charger which is 30A to get a quicker charge at home.
Current cost is CAD 800 and $600 to install.
I'm using an Open Source EVSE that I assembled. The completed units ready to plug-in will save you about CAD100. If electrical assembly is fun for you, a complete kit will cost about CAD600. I had a 240V outlet installed to connect to - it cost USD50.
https://store.openevse.com/collections/all/standard-series

cornclose said:
anko said:
I know the charging process ramps up slowly. That can be controlled by the control box but also by the OnBoardCharger. I am quit convinced the control box simply advertises 10 amps full stop. Maybe until to big of a voltage drop occurs and then it advertises 0.
Not from what I've witnessed. It will go from zero charge (0A) to about 2A (460W) instantly, stay at 2A for about 10-15 seconds, and then go straight to ~9A and stay there until charging is almost complete, after which it gradually reduces the charge rate from ~9A to 0A over a period of about 30 minutes.
How is that NOT ramping up slowly?

I'm owning a go-eCharger 22kw since two days.

Very cool system, with a very good support.
Even on my 16A outlet and the Outi only using one Phase, I can charge from 0 to 100% in only 4h.

Outi is consuming ~14A and ~3.1kW while charging.

alex101 said:
Hi,

How could I charge my PHEV quickly at home?

Alex

Here is quick update.
I have installed 240V 32A Level 2 charger at home.
Now it takes around 2.5 hours to charge PHEV.
I confirm that car only draws 16A.
So it does not matter if your charger is 16A or 32A, the charging time will be the same.

The only way to charge faster is to use Level 3 DC charger which is very expensive for home use.
I wish the car could be modified to be able to use 32A.
In this case I could charge it in 1.5 hours.
But I guess that would mean to replace onboard charger to something more powerful.

Rhe onboard charger can only go up to 3.7kWh, it takes arround 5-6 hours from empty to full.
If you need only 2 hours, your battery is extremly down.

alex101 said:
alex101 said:
Hi,

How could I charge my PHEV quickly at home?

Alex

Here is quick update.
I have installed 240V 32A Level 2 charger at home.
Now it takes around 2.5 hours to charge PHEV.
I confirm that car only draws 16A.
So it does not matter if your charger is 16A or 32A, the charging time will be the same.

The only way to charge faster is to use Level 3 DC charger which is very expensive for home use.
I wish the car could be modified to be able to use 32A.
In this case I could charge it in 1.5 hours.
But I guess that would mean to replace onboard charger to something more powerful.
It would not be very good for the battery. The faster you charge the more it deteriorates.

Mitch said:
Rhe onboard charger can only go up to 3.7kWh, it takes arround 5-6 hours from empty to full.
If you need only 2 hours, your battery is extremly down.
It should not EVER take 5-6 hours. My PHEV takes at most around 3.5 hours and it's pretty new. If it takes that long, something is wrong with your OBC.

"Empty" on the gauge (0-1 bar) is actually something like 25-35% SoC. So you're putting about 8-9 kWh in there to get to full. The system will typically do between 1-2 cell balancing cycles during the charge, thus slowing the rate of charge, hence why it takes around 3.5 hours instead of 3. If you have a EVSE that monitors charge current, you'll see this happen.

Mitch said:
sorry, also Mitsubishi is saying 5 to 6 hours.
This is the usual normal time.
No, the quoted time from Mitsu was always 3.5 hours. Look under "main drive battery": https://www.mitsubishicars.com/outlander-phev/2018/specifications

I'm in the UK, have an MY19 car and a Chargemaster 7kw 30A Type 1 tethered charging station installed.
I know the car won't draw 30A but I can monitor power usage and the car only ever shows 2500kW when charging and I believe it should be more like 3500kW.
Maybe not a bad thing and as I charge overnight it doesn't affect me too much but I'd like to know why and is it indicative of something else.

I have a 22kw Wallbox controlled from my smart home.
The box is set to 16A max and the Outlander is taking 3.6kW, which is nearly the max of 3.7kW, the onboard charger can us max

Back