EVSE Fault

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangersac

Anyone had any dramas with the 10A supplied EVSE (Australian member here)? Mine appears to have a loose wire connection on the mains plug side of the unit. The EVSE normally lives hanging from a hook by thin rope on the side of the house, plugged in with the 0.5m cable section under no tension and with a slight curve. It occasionally gets unplugged and thrown in the boot for charging at work, where the unit sits flat on the ground. Currently if the 0.5m section is straight the unit has no power, whereas if I curve the cable it gets power. It's obviously not an earth leakage issue as it's not tripping any residual current devices either at home or work. I still have 2.5 years to run on the warranty and there doesn't appear to be a specific exclusion on the Mitsu Australian warranty online so it will get seen by the dealer, but curious to know if anyone has had similar problems.

I think it's been established that the cause is usually an overtightened cable clamp on the charging unit. Easy to fix, if you can't get the dealer interested. Some have had difficulty in getting Mitsu to accept it falls under warranty. Although if it's supplied as original equipment, I don't see how they can argue the case.

Thanks chaps, I will be going to the dealer armed with photos of the charging setup to prove they comply with the manual's instructions. Given there's no exclusion on the warranty it's something they'd have to argue against fairly strongly I feel. Anyway, if they refuse to replace/ repair, I'm pretty happy to open the unit up and give it a go. It's a pretty simple setup from the pictures I've seen.

The main problem I had opening mine is the sticky goo that makes it watertight. I needed a hair dryer to get it soft enough to prise the two shells apart. Watch out for the small black cable which is soldered directly into the print. If you pull it out you have a serious problem.

Here's the innards.

15q5454.jpg

Just an update, the dealer warrantied this yesterday no dramas as an open circuit fault with the unit.

Back