EV Mode Range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PappyLeBot

Hi all.

Recently bought a 2015 Outlander PHEV with 71,000 miles on it. Been driving it for the last few days and noticed that from a full battery charge I am only getting a range of 26km (15 miles).

Is this normal performance?

Mine is a similar age with about 56,000 miles on the clock and I don't get much better than 15 miles EV range in cold weather. I'll get about 22 in warm weather.

It depends mostly on temperature and speed. My 30.000 miles / 48 000 km MY14 had comparable range in the winter and at motorway speeds.

If it's reasonably nice weather without much need for AC and driving slower than 55 mph / 90 km/h; around 25 miles or more was not impossible. Absolute world record was 32 miles.
In sub-zero temperatures, 15 miles was about what I could get.

My findings are similar to the previous replies. If you use the heater/aircon or demand a lot of power (lots of acceleration, climbing hills, high speed etc) then the range drops noticeably. If the weather's warm and you can live without the heater/aircon then drive gently - maybe use the ECO button to soften the accelerator pedal response, then you should see nearer 30 miles. If you put it on charge every night use the heater timers to get it to run the windscreen demister for 10 minutes before you set off. That does draw power from the battery (about 2.5kW), but it'll also recharge from the mains whilst it's doing it so you won't use as much (or any) to heat/demist the car when you set off.

But remember, this isn't a pure EV car, it's a hybrid so you should expect to use petrol at times (especially on journeys longer than 20 miles). Also the predicted EV range will go up and down depending on how it is being driven before you switch it off. It's best not to get too obsessed by the prediction and trying to get as far as possible on pure EV. More useful is how far you get between filling the petrol tank each time.

Thanks to all for your replies. Has given me some peace of mind. It's quite cold in Ireland at the moment.

To make you feel better, we are also getting about 15 MPG at the indicator after full charge here in Los Angeles and the weather here was around 40 F at night. Our outlander is only 8 month old with 10k. Last summer, the indicator showed 21-22 mpg at full charge. the heater did affect the EV range more than the AC.

Picked up a new 5HS last Saturday and so far having charged it each night my mileage has ranged from 19 to 23 miles range on start up in the morning. I'm hoping in warmer weather this will increase.

The weather is getting warmer and now I am getting 19 mpg with climate control off, it's 17mpg with the control on, after full charge.

With my2018, I used to get 37 to 40 km shown at start up, after overnight charge. I changed my way of driving in using B0 instead of B2. I go to B5 before stopping. Now my reading is 43 to 45 km potential.

Back